PDA

View Full Version : Penny pinching Vauxhall strikes again !!

joff-turbo-nova
15-01-12, 09:40 PM
Hi all

Just need to vent my spleen at GM so here we go...

I tried to up grade the rear window mechanisms of my 2010 Meriva to electric.

Thinking I was being clever I realised that I would need replacement door looms as well as the window mechanisms and have been busy rounding up the parts over the last few months.

Had a crack at the offside rear door today, got the door card off, drilled out the 6 rivets that held the manual mechanism in and removed, got the old loom out of the door, installed the new loom and trail fitted (fortunately)the new mechanism .

I needed the window slider to be slightly lower so I could get the glass guide in so I reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition . Nothing.

I then tried the rear switch. Nothing.

I then had a root around in the Haynes manual and it seems the rear windows are on a separate fuse (no 22) , popped the fuse cover - no fuse installed - easy fix - new 20A fuse in . Press all the buttons, still nothing . Grrrr

Next job on the fault finding, see if any power is getting to the motor - out with the volt meter. Zero vollts on the 12v+ . Nothing on the ground wire either, infact nothing on any of the window wires .... strange.

Popped off the door connector thinking this may be dodgy and had a look to see if i could find the ground and 12v+ on the body loom.

Not a chance in hell it turns out. Of the 11 wires needed for the door (2 for the speaker, 3 for the central locking and 6 for the electric windows) only 5 were present, speaker and central locking.

So there is not a chance in hell that the electric windows can work , more grrrr.

It seems I need to replace the whole of the sill looms from the connectors in the kickwells back from a vehicle with this wiring as an option. Sounds like rocking horse doo doo x hens teeth.

So had to put all manual mechanism back in and put it all back together to still have manual windows - a waste of an afternoon !

Why couldm't GM just make the basic loom with the options available so you can plug stuff in and it works first time

I feel better now.

Joff

Andy
15-01-12, 09:43 PM
Copper costs alot of money these days....thats probably why

Will F
15-01-12, 10:09 PM
Wouldnt be too hard to make your own loom would it!?

joff-turbo-nova
15-01-12, 10:15 PM
Wouldnt be too hard to make your own loom would it!?

I have no pins for the door plug so would be a tad bit difficult to sort . I have put a request out to all the breakers on ebay to see if anyone can strip out the two bits of loom I need and will then splice out the rear door loom and insert the pins into the plug at the kickwell end.

Its a real faff as I will need to remove all the sill mouldings on the inside which is held in by about a zillon screws - more grrrr.

I wouldn't mind, but my model is a Design, which apart from the VXR is the next best trim level.

Joff

Stuart
15-01-12, 10:40 PM
Normally the oem harness up for the max optioned variant and go with it. Odd the didn't here as that costs more money than the first option.

I'd say it was just incompetence of the design team