PDA

View Full Version : nova redtop problems

vx mad
15-01-12, 12:26 PM
hi i need some advice please my nova has been sat in my garage for about 3 weeks and started engine no probs put it in my parking spot and let it warm up then the smoke started its a whiteish smoke but doesnt smell sweet i let it warm up then took it to the garage for petrol it did have just about fuel light on but it stalled into the garage put some petrol in then drove home it stalled on the way home (changing down gears) and it still had loads of white smoke nothing indicates head gasket there is no creamy substance anywhere but did notice a liquid round the cam position sensor poss oil also there is no smoke when just turning over but when you put some revs on the smoke appears i have had the fuel pump replaced 2 months ago but worked fine fuel filter was replaced gm part last year

really need some advice please guys cos i have had enough and my bank balance cant cope with much more abuse

thankyou in advance

Nobby
15-01-12, 01:08 PM
seems strange if it was running fine before and now not so, id leave it idling for a while mate and give it a good run, then its compression checks etc

richi
15-01-12, 01:10 PM
was going to suggest a compression test

christurboo
15-01-12, 02:29 PM
semi skimmed milk always so out of date if not kept in fridge.....

swedge
15-01-12, 02:45 PM
semi skimmed milk always so out of date if not kept in fridge.....

i was waiting for it lol,

give it a good blast and see what its like

vx mad
15-01-12, 03:41 PM
pmsl cheers for sorting milk probs out lol

also thankyou for advice guys i will leave it running then give it a good blast on a country road well it will either kill or cure it i will have the rac on standby and keep you posted if that doesnt work i will get compression test done thanks again :thumb:

Southie
15-01-12, 03:52 PM
What colour are your spark plugs?

vx mad
15-01-12, 04:18 PM
cant find my spark plug spanner but i did change them about 300 miles ago but today i did give the exhaust tip a really good clean with wd40 to see if there was water droplets there was and i just lightly dabbed it on my tounge then spat like mad but it wasnt like a sweet taste just more like carbony water i will find my spark plug spanner and test

boomtings1
15-01-12, 08:12 PM
could be a fueling problem, any way you can cheak if its running rich or lean. To cheak if its burning coolant, top your level up and keep an eye on it and see if it goes down fast. Or more simple idea is last few days have been realy cold so that will show the smoke up more than usual

Will F
15-01-12, 08:29 PM
Are you sure its not just condensation? If you leave a car running in the current weather - you will get quite a bit!

MK999
15-01-12, 08:31 PM
Water is one of the products of combustion, so you will get water droplets in exhaust. On the same line as Will though, in the current weather, you'd know if you had a head gasket gone between water and combustion as you'd barely be able to see the car.

Novasport
15-01-12, 08:35 PM
Water in the fuel due to condensation forming in the tank after it standing?!?

Andy
15-01-12, 08:37 PM
Has been awfully cold up here the last few days......

vx mad
16-01-12, 09:17 AM
i supose that would explain it but the cutting out and bad running could that be the new fuel pump still have the old fuel pump so i will fit it back on and see if it clears

vx mad
16-01-12, 11:06 AM
thankyou for your replys guys didnt realize there was a page 2 sorry i have took it for a run after warming up and really opened her up there was a big cloud of smoke then nothing brought it home absolutly nothing even with revving turned it off gave the car a quick wash took about 20 mins then started car and then white smoke back but its not cutting out now

vx mad
16-01-12, 11:49 AM
also got mot tommoz very very nervous with emmisions with this white smoke but if its just water i cant see how it can be any different from a few months back when i had it tested wish me luck and i will put the results up when i get car back

vx mad
18-01-12, 08:29 AM
well it passed yipee with some advisorys
1. battery insecure (ebay have something for this listed under nova rally)
2. main beam warning lamp inop (try with new bulb cos it was working)
3. under bonnet wiring requires recovering (engine dress up kit)
4 bonnet stay insecure (bonnet lifters)
5. handbrake cable chaffing on exhaust (see if it can be rerouted)
not that bad considering its a 20 year old engine converted nova
i did say to mot test guy could you have a look at the white smoke he said its nothing just cold and condensation but on a caution level the coolant will be getting changed asap as well as battery insecure but also full advisory list will be done

Andy
18-01-12, 08:48 AM
I have a battery clamp if you need one mate,where in yorkshire are you?

vx mad
18-01-12, 09:03 AM
im in hull well just outside mate but i will send pm