PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust prob - restriction

ade
17-07-03, 10:25 PM
had my 1.4 fitted and running nice now for a few weeks - weber 32/34 on ands I'm please to say the odd oil breather pipe leak has stopped since full service.

However theres now power on acceleration - to get it into the top end at any speed I need to drop it a gear and floor it then change. Speaking to Aragorn and after checking discovered that the 1.2 manifold (4-1) is still on car (see pic below). Also the old 1.2 exhaust main bit (have magnex back box).

I've sourced a 1.4 SRi stainless steel xorst (cheers Ben!) and now need a manifold (4-2-1 see parts section) so what I want to know is is this likely to be my power prob due to restrictive exhaust or summut else. Timings ok, compressions ok, cars fully services, doesnt pink or owt.

And if I change it over what kind of performance increase can I expect?

Snowface
17-07-03, 10:33 PM
the middle box on a 1.2 is the same as the 1.3 and 1.4sr.
aswell as the back box.
Just the manifold and front pipe is different.

Dunno if a magnex middle box will be much difference to a standard?

Adam Moran
17-07-03, 10:44 PM
Ade,

What gearbox u running??

Ad

ade
18-07-03, 07:54 AM
5 speed (previously 4) - dont think its close ratio. Came with the engine - dont ask me what that is - no engine number - its a 1.4 (according to block stamp) but whats left of the number is C?

usually in 3rd between 40 to 60 but when I get to 70 (in 4th) and try to accelerate (either 4th and 5th) theers no power...

:?

Managed to source a 4-2-1 manifold (cheers cheese!) will swap over and see what diff it makes...

Ade

Adam Moran
18-07-03, 08:26 AM
The only reason i ask is becasue on my 1.6 i've got a F13W with a final ratio of 4.??? So its not quite as resposive as the F13CR box that came standerd on the GSI.

Have a look under the passnger wing and the flat bit on the side of the gearbox (just under the inner wing) will be the gearbox number. See what it says.

Ad

rgv_stu
18-07-03, 10:36 AM
its more likely to be a carb jetting problem than the 1.2 manifold tbh

i doubt changing to the sr version will make much difference but its worth a go

Dicko
18-07-03, 10:59 AM
why u geting the sri exhaust ade

be careful they were desogned to have a cat, so all the fittings are for a cat ;)

it will make very little difference to be honest with what you are currently running. problem is more likely to be timing/compresion based. or a bad spark/bad fueling

ade
18-07-03, 11:47 AM
mmm - it could be the carb - new weber 32/34 - factory preset so hasnt been adjusted for the car - will start without any choke (manual) and when warm does sound like its idling a little fast.

Thing is before I whack it on a tuniner/rolling road, I'd like to have the proper exhaust - get most from car.

Its not a major prob - just need to watch what I overtake/whats behind me. I'm not using her that much - but would be nice to put fopot down and feel it pull away. (not as nippy as my 1.2 used to be at the mo :? )

Ade

cornish
18-07-03, 11:56 AM
Ade i will have a Magnex 4-2-1 exhaust manifold for sale soon, as i'm fitting my 2L this weekend so won't need it anymore. PM me of your interested :)

Edit: Just seen you got one already :?