PDA

View Full Version : 2012 fitness thread

Dan
14-01-12, 10:45 PM
Right then, winter is half over (allegedly) xmas and new year is a thing of the past and generally many people decide to reignite that failing issue that is fitness. How many of you have got back to it, or are contemplating it and how long do you reckon you can survive for this year lollollol

Personally i have still been keeping up with my fitness since sep 2010. although 'maintaining' sucks the large one i have tried to mix it about. I'm currently training one chap to loose a stone in 4-6 weeks (the last and hardest stone) and helping another chap with some workouts. Naturally i join in on these and take myself to the limits i expect them to hit to show its serious and they aren't being personally tortured.

I even got asked by the guy that owns the gym if i wanted to join/ train him for a session as he was just hanging around. needless to say i did one of my normal sessions and he was still aching 3 days later lollollollollol

mowgli
14-01-12, 10:48 PM
well, i have a bad back & my knees are pretty ropey, so i'm planning to do only cycling & swimming for my fitness this year.. i don't want to diet, cos i enjoy food way too much...

pikey1986
14-01-12, 10:52 PM
i joined the gym in september and was managing 3 times a week for a month or so but soon got bored, i keep meaning to get back their but ive been ill in some way shape or form since new year

Andy
14-01-12, 10:52 PM
Ive done 16days without a single smoke,some days/times are harder than others as i love smoking bacca so much,ive only stopped due to it being bad for you!
Drinking-not had one since last saturday,so doing ok,as it was yeehaa over xmas every day lol
Fitness-well ive been to the gym a couple of times in the last week
Eating-struggling,been eating good some days and the others ive been like a dustbin lol

bazil
14-01-12, 10:53 PM
i gave up smoking in december 2009, ive went from 9.5 stone to 11 :( i really need to do something, ive always been slim but now im getting fat and i dont like it, going to start by going swimming to get a bit of cardio built up and get my muscles gently working, sitting my ass in a truck all day does not help.

Dan
14-01-12, 10:59 PM
weight wise i have added a stone since last year, but luckily after taking a photo/ taking measurements and comparing to 11th jan last year its a proper good stone and not fat :)

So i am now upto 15st, which isnt bad for only 5' 8" in height

Been dry for 14 yrs now so no issues there, and only bad habit is smoking but my fitness is good so feck it

bazil
14-01-12, 11:01 PM
WHAT?!! i must be small boned then lol, im 33 years old and 5' 8" lol

turbojolt
14-01-12, 11:06 PM
I'm starting of slow this year sex about 4 or 5 times a week and getting a new boxing bag next month

bazil
14-01-12, 11:08 PM
wait till you get to my age :(

Dan
14-01-12, 11:08 PM
lol depends, 36 years old here so same same........

3 minor measures.......... 17" calf's, 16" bicep and 44" chest and a sixpack. ive got more measures lol but those 3 are key area's lol with the last being my only goal before i was 40 lol

Not big by any means but well balanced is my excuse along with big boned

bazil
14-01-12, 11:10 PM
the only sixpack i have is in the fridge, and about to disappear lol

sport
14-01-12, 11:19 PM
Going to try the gym again this year, done it about 3 years ago and lost about 2 stone in weight going for 3 stone this time.
Not had any bevvy since first of january but struggling to control my eating, think im a fat man stuck in an even fatter body lol

John
14-01-12, 11:43 PM
This lol. So far have managed to loose 4lb since the first. I think I'd keel over if I went to the gym lol. Dan I have to admire your commitment :)

Connor
14-01-12, 11:54 PM
I joined gym in October and have been gyming it 5/6 times a week until christmas where I had to have 2 weeks off as I returned back from uni. Now smashing it back out.again, there's nothing like clearing your head with a big sesh at the gym, and it helps to relieve some stress .

LEWI007
15-01-12, 12:48 AM
My workout......

......XR3i Style lol

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57/LEWI007/IMG00186-20110615-1504.jpg

christurboo
15-01-12, 12:53 AM
my workout......

......xr3i style lol

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57/lewi007/img00186-20110615-1504.jpg

sunderland style more like haha

LEWI007
15-01-12, 12:57 AM
PMSL, Aye pinched alloys :p

Connor
15-01-12, 01:27 AM
lol thats ace lew

Edd
15-01-12, 03:27 AM
lol @ Lewi

I gave up smoking for 4 days :( lol

I have put on 14 kg in 3 years, so my work medical has told me

Not good at all tbh, even tho the giving up smoking hasnt gone well I managed to start losing the extra kg, been doing 10km on bike every day

Decided I better sort it out as at 34 if I dont do something im going to be very fat at 40 lol

svlet
15-01-12, 03:48 AM
Been going to the gym for 2 years now. was at 14 stone 3 months ago but due to something happening I stoped gym for 2 months and pretty much spireld out of control with 2 months of pretty much self destruction as in think I was straight less than 5 days in 2 months but stoped everything now. I'm at 13 and a half stone not lost much strength but hopefully get to 15 stone buy end of the year or before not a bad goal I'm 5' 8" but I recommend the gym to anyone that need just tomclear thier head and focus on something.

Alex J
15-01-12, 08:54 AM
i went to mc donalds for my fitness work out, big tasty is back on! GAME ON!!!!

Karl West
15-01-12, 11:54 AM
I like it when people say there just bid boned as ive never seen a fat skeleton!!

steviegsi
15-01-12, 12:10 PM
I like it when people say there just bid boned as ive never seen a fat skeleton!!

What about a skeleton with big bones? lol

gazz
15-01-12, 12:11 PM
I'm currently in training for the Great South Run, which is only 10 miles but i want to do it in a certain time.
I hit the gym 3 times a week running machines, cycle and cross trainer. i also get on my bike and cycle a few miles. i've not done any major fittnes for about 5 years now, so was a struggle at first. still " no pain no gain" as they say..

scott.parker
15-01-12, 12:56 PM
i went to mc donalds for my fitness work out, big tasty is back on! GAME ON!!!!

Alex you may jest about it dude, but think of it this way, how you going to cope with keeping up when your daughter wants you run about playing more with her on a summers day out?
I for one dont want to be unfit and feel older then i need to, and i was getting that way with all my injury's etc, but now with my new job i walk an average of 56 miles EVERY week.. and thats at a fast constant pace, as i get my delivery done way under my duty time, not worked past 1.30pm fro a few weeks now.
And now my back is a lot better i have just started getting back into my basketball again, so i should see even more improvements in my over all fitness, im also about to start a training program called P90X that i got a ripped version of form a friend, but im only going to do some of the exercises i need to EG back/chest/abbs, as if i did the leg ones too i would be screwed for work! lol

Dan
15-01-12, 01:37 PM

Thats the only thing i can think of lol, i'm an average build imo and my weight vrs height is heavy considering i only now range between 10% bodyfat in the summer and 11ish% in the winter. (thats quite low btw lol )

Tanya.
15-01-12, 02:56 PM
The year didn't start very well with the diet lol I was planning on joining a gym but Burgo brought a wii and im sticking with Zumba for now. I'm on my feet for 17 hours a week due to work and im considering going swimming too. I'm doing okay with food at the moment. I'm Using a calorie and exercise tracker. I'm determined to of lost the baby weight come summer.

DAFTJOHN
15-01-12, 03:05 PM
It's my fitness in general that's gone. That's me just turned 31. I'm 6'2" and was 16stone on new years day.

I'm going to work on cardio/endurance then work on weights so with the weights I'm happy to get to 14 and a half stone. Good weight, not fat weight!

turbojolt
15-01-12, 03:06 PM
Thats the only thing i can think of lol, i'm an average build imo and my weight vrs height is heavy considering i only now range between 10% bodyfat in the summer and 11ish% in the winter. (thats quite low btw lol )

That's miles to low anything under 17 % can be dangerous if I remember right, the average being 25%

Dan
15-01-12, 03:23 PM
wrong........ 13-17 is the general 'healthy' range for men depending on who you talk to, below that is either bad or someone who is actively very fit. Top athletes border 7% and below. My lowest was in the 9% region last year at my peak. But as long as i maintain under 12% (after that the abs disappear) whilst physically doing weights and being active then i am happy. I dont do any cardio as such, my routines are far more intense than that anyway hence i believe i have maintained better than i expected.

I also dont waste my time doing situps and all that jazz either. imo its only a road to misery unless you need to strengthen parts of your core, it wont give you the lines some people chase

Hayley
15-01-12, 03:55 PM
I feel like a right fatty boom boom at the moment so im trying to get back into the gym.. lolNot trying to find excuses but I work shifts and its sometimes hard to get the willpower up to get out of bed and go to the gym. I do enjoy it while Im there tho so need to suck it up.

My aim is to lose at least a stone and generally get my fitness levels up. ive been smoke free for 4 years now but I think its 7 years till your lungs get rid of all the gunk isnt it?? and me and Jack are having an alcohol free month in feb. I just want to tone up the mid section and ill be happy. :thumb:

turbojolt
15-01-12, 03:59 PM
Does no one else just find the gym boring I would rather go for a run with the dog rather then on a treadmill, fryed going running a few times with my brothers but couldn't keep up at all there in the army and run 10miles before starting to sweat lol

swedge
15-01-12, 04:00 PM
im 6ft1 and only 67 killos, i smoke i drink and eat like crap

but i can still run to the pub before closing time haha

swedge
15-01-12, 04:00 PM
Dose no one else just find the gym boring I would rather go for a run with the dog rather then on a treadmill, fryed going running a few times with my brothers but couldn't keep up at all there in the army and run 10miles before starting to sweat lol

was it hot outside whenh you were running?

Hayley
15-01-12, 04:04 PM
I find the gym boring but I paid up for a year so thats a good incentive to get down there. plus I like doing a weights circut when Im there....if there are no beefcakes in there too though!

turbojolt
15-01-12, 04:09 PM
was it hot outside whenh you were running?

Not to bad just have no cardio and drink miles to much tbh and that starts.me.sweating like a gooden straight away lol

swedge
15-01-12, 04:12 PM
Not to bad just have no cardio and drink miles to much tbh and that starts.me.sweating like a gooden straight away lol

just when you said you got fried when running haha

turbojolt
15-01-12, 04:14 PM
Lol I already edited it when I wrote dose instead of does must have missed it lol

Adam
15-01-12, 04:42 PM
Im just starting out on a 3000+ calorie per day diet, and on a short/intense gym routine to gain some mass. So pretty much the opposite of everyone elses goals. lol

And for anyone resonably fit/athletic 25% body fat is certainly not average.

Andy
15-01-12, 04:44 PM
ive been smoke free for 4 years now but I think its 7 years till your lungs get rid of all the gunk isnt it??
2 years i once got told,obviously intense cardio sessions and sauna use would probably spped that process up.

Adam-you want to be lifting as heavy as you can short sets,say 5 or 6.Try the protein mass gains if you cant stomach eating loads,not everybody can.

turbojolt
15-01-12, 04:48 PM
Steroids steroids steroids bulk up like a pro lol

Dan
15-01-12, 05:15 PM
there are 2 main groups of people at the gyms, those that want to increase strength and those that want to bulk up and increase muscle mass. Instead of lifting heavy and little like andy has mentioned you could also try to routes known as hypertrophy training (hst), gvt (german volume training) and h.i.t. (high intensity training) I have dabbled in these and freqeuntly add some of these styles into my routines just to mix it up abit so i dont get bored and it keeps the body rethinking rather than getting stuck in a rut.

The following link has details about all of this for down the left hand side.....(also alot of routines and tips throughout the link)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=MassGainPrograms

I always like to understand what people have had me doing the last few years from the weight loss to replacing the muscle lost with such. so this site has been helpful in showing me.

Alex J
15-01-12, 05:30 PM
Alex you may jest about it dude, but think of it this way, how you going to cope with keeping up when your daughter wants you run about playing more with her on a summers day out?
I for one dont want to be unfit and feel older then i need to, and i was getting that way with all my injury's etc, but now with my new job i walk an average of 56 miles EVERY week.. and thats at a fast constant pace, as i get my delivery done way under my duty time, not worked past 1.30pm fro a few weeks now.
And now my back is a lot better i have just started getting back into my basketball again, so i should see even more improvements in my over all fitness, im also about to start a training program called P90X that i got a ripped version of form a friend, but im only going to do some of the exercises i need to EG back/chest/abbs, as if i did the leg ones too i would be screwed for work! lol
just because im fat, dont mean i cant run, swin, or use a bike or gym, i just cant be arsed! and when all you fitness heads give up aswerll one day because you cant be arsed either, your be twice as fat as when you started!

turbojolt
15-01-12, 05:33 PM
just because im fat, dont mean i cant run, swin, or use a bike or gym, i just cant be arsed! and when all you fitness heads give up aswerll one day because you cant be arsed either, your be twice as fat as when you started!

This

autoworksnovasport
15-01-12, 05:41 PM
been cycling since i left school so never really dropd out of fitness as such but size means nothing as im 6 foot 2 and 18 stone (and not fat in anyway) and can still go out and do 80 mile rides no bother

turbojolt
15-01-12, 05:46 PM
That BMI Crap should be banned I know some seriously fit people not just large and they never fit in the category there SUPPOSE to.

H.I.T training that the system that goes along the lines of 4 weeks on 2 weeks off isint it, some people slate it say its mo good for joints ect in the long run

Mike
15-01-12, 05:47 PM
Im not fat but neither am I muscley/big built lol far from it infact :) hardly excercise at all but can still smash 5k meters on a rowing machine in under 14 minutes!

Alex J
15-01-12, 05:48 PM
im clinically obese, but i dont smoke, drink, just love a MASSIVE burger!!

Mike
15-01-12, 05:52 PM

I drove all the way to mcdonalds the other night at 11pm for a double cheeseburger & a big mac :) Gotta love 'em!

autoworksnovasport
15-01-12, 05:53 PM

when i had my knees done the nurse said i fell into the clinicaly obese catergory hahaha she laughed when she said it

Alex J
15-01-12, 05:54 PM
I drove all the way to mcdonalds the other night at 11pm for a double cheeseburger & a big mac :) Gotta love 'em!
+rep! shame you didnt get the big tasty and the new apple and blackberry pie nom nom nom lol

Edd
15-01-12, 06:01 PM
Smoking is the best way to keep weight down

Dan
15-01-12, 06:02 PM
That BMI Crap should be banned I know some seriously fit people not just large and they never fit in the category there SUPPOSE to.

H.I.T training that the system that goes along the lines of 4 weeks on 2 weeks off isint it, some people slate it say its mo good for joints ect in the long run

Yes bmi is rubbish, i am about 4st overweight according to that crap lol lol

erm no, that has nothing to do with H.I.T training from my perception of reading into it. The only thing i have heard of people cycling timeframe wise that short is some of the crap they shove into their systems which is a big nono in my books. Anything that requires you to move faster than snails pace puts stress on your joints. I've been in the groundworks game since i left school, so although i am conditioned through doing such i also know i will be fecked at the end anyway so not something to worry about lol lol

oh and i agree with edd lmao

Mike
15-01-12, 06:12 PM
Smoking is the best way to keep weight down

I quit smoking for a short while before, in a week I put on a stone!! Was eating like a bleeding horse!

Andy
15-01-12, 06:22 PM
+rep! shame you didnt get the big tasty and the new apple and blackberry pie nom nom nom lol
I normally have large quarter pounder meal and 2 double cheeseburgers.Thats easy.
BMI is bollox,all the super league players are obese,yet are 16-22stone of muscle and do 100metres in 11 seconds.

ocdstigy
15-01-12, 07:14 PM
Have never stopped training,thinking about joining the army this year so keeping on top of it :-)

t40nova
16-01-12, 01:28 AM
im thinking about starting up the gym im 22 and eat chinese everynight have about 3-4 cans of redbull a day roughly on 20 cigs a day,i'm 10 and a half stone and really dont move from that but noticed latelly im getting moobs lol think a wee workout's in order a few times a week :thumb:

Adam
16-01-12, 09:49 PM
Adam-you want to be lifting as heavy as you can short sets,say 5 or 6.Try the protein mass gains if you cant stomach eating loads,not everybody can.
Already on a short set routine, 3-4 sets of 5 reps, compound lifts.
And with minimal cardio

:thumb:

Jack
16-01-12, 10:18 PM
I've been going to the gym for a few years now, mainly to just increase my general fitness (as I'm still a fat b'stard lol)

Its handy having the gym at work in that its cheap (£60 a year at the mo) but on the other hand I usually go on my lunchbreak - so if there's something on at work and I miss lunch then no gym, like today. That and its usually full of meathead marines lol

TeddyThom
17-01-12, 08:46 PM
The BMI is only part of a set of data you need to take into account. According to my BMI I should be dead lol.

However I used to do Karate, cycle everywhere. I eat what I want etc. I'm not as fit as I used to be, but I used to (and still do occasionally) surprise people with what I can do etc. I am however going to be buying some weights soon, to see if I can get some definition etc lol. Also gonna try and quit smoking (for the millionth time lol) so we shall see how this works out.