PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Guys,,, Damp in Car

Tommy_nova
14-01-12, 05:59 PM
Not been on here for a while hope you guys are keeping well :)
im getting back in to it now and the nova sorted out for this years show season but sadlyi have a problem with damp!

The novas been tucked away under a cover for afew months now but before i covered it up there was water in the front foot wells! was really annoyed about this still havent found where its coming in from.

My interior has started to go moldy and its doing my head in as it was mint before
anyone know how i can stop it from doing this.

cars parked outside under a cover i have cleaned the interior afew times but molds coming back also theres condensation on the inside of the sunroof ?

Thanks Tommy

Novasport
14-01-12, 06:08 PM
You need to find the cause of the leak first and eliminate that. Dependant on what interior you have I would wet vac it all and dry it fully(Ideally out of the car).
Once that is sorted get some moisture collectors, I have a few I got from Morrisons. They are about £3 each but the absorb a hell of a lot.

Novasport
14-01-12, 06:10 PM
Usual suspects for a leak are...

Windscreen seal
Battery tray(Rotten?)
Door membranes & blocked drain holes
Sunroof seal or drains
Door seals
Heater matrix
Etc
Etc...

Tommy_nova
14-01-12, 06:10 PM
Thanks alot :)

Its a gsi so the standard black interior even had mold on steering wheel :O

i have a feeling its coming from under the dash pos the windscreen seal, hope its nothing worse like batt tray.

Tommy

Tommy_nova
15-01-12, 03:00 PM
Striped the interior out the car today to give it a good clean and tiped a bucket of water over the roof soon found the leak
gutted theres a rust hole under the dash where the accelerator pedal is, (DAM IT!) needs a plate welding in.

thanks for your help

Tommy

Bubba
15-01-12, 03:30 PM
easy enough to do. at least it didnt involve a windscreen out job :)

Tommy_nova
15-01-12, 04:18 PM
easy enough to do. at least it didnt involve a windscreen out job :)

True mate its a large ish plate needed so will try get that sorted soon,, was abit shocked when i seen it :O
after all it is a nova lol, first rust hole on the car, its pretty dam solid else where chuffed :)

Tommy_nova
15-01-12, 04:19 PM
I found the answer in google (http://www.google.co.uk), remove the topic pls.

Ha cheers for the spam,, give ya head a wobble.. :wtf:

Novasport
15-01-12, 06:08 PM
Get a battery tray repair panel

Tommy_nova
15-01-12, 06:27 PM
Get a battery tray repair panel

Good thinking there fella,, any idea where i could buy one from ?

Tommy

Tommy_nova
15-01-12, 06:31 PM
Heres a pic of the damage :(

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt188/Tommy_Nova/DSCF1659.jpg

Lewis.
15-01-12, 07:16 PM
That area is horrible to weld, I'd bet once you start cutting back it will be right under the battery, and the way it all goes down the bulkhead, up the firewall and across the battery tray made it a nightmare when I was welding mine. Hope it's not too bad mate :thumb:

Edd
15-01-12, 07:23 PM
To sort that properly your going to have to take the dash and pedals box stuff out

Best off doing that way imo if your planning on keeping the car and don't want it coming back

Lewis.
15-01-12, 07:27 PM
/\ this. Mine had had a plate welded over the rot in the battery tray by a previous owner, who was too lazy to take the dash out. It obviously continued to rot and just makes more work at a later date :roll:

Tommy_nova
15-01-12, 07:42 PM
Plan in to remove dash and pedal box cut away rust and weld in a new piece of plate over,, i do plan on keeping the car and dont see the point doing a bodge job,
if a jobs worth doing do it right i say, not looking forward to this but will get done asap.

thanks guys

Tommy

L14MNP
15-01-12, 11:36 PM
found the leak

(DAM IT!)

http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/nevada/las-vegas/images/s/las-vegas-hoover-dam.jpg

Best way mate.

Tommy_nova
16-01-12, 12:01 AM
what build a Dam or push the nova off it ? lol

Bubba
16-01-12, 12:30 AM
what build a Dam or push the nova off it ? lol

do both :d

Tommy_nova
16-01-12, 12:31 AM
i dont think my insurance would beleave me.

urmm yea my car fell off a dam! lol

bazil
17-01-12, 01:04 AM
Tommy, it do as you said, remove all the dash/ pedals then cut out ALL the rot then use a new battery tray to patch in, it also looks like the rot has started downward on the bulkhead, best to get that done too I'm afraid.

bazil
17-01-12, 01:06 AM
Here's a link I was talking about earlier

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?153919-*HOW-TO*-remove-inner-wings&p=1672317&viewfull=1#post1672317

And again here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?161851-The-Counts-Beige-Mk1/page15

Tommy_nova
17-01-12, 01:19 AM
Thanks alot fella will red up on this tomoz your a star :)

bazil
17-01-12, 01:20 AM
No probs mate, I'm sure others will know of a few thread that can help aswell

Will F
17-01-12, 08:33 AM
Rip the dash out and anything inside thats near that area and I will pick it up on my trailer and take it to my painter friend, who can weld it for you! lol

Tommy_nova
17-01-12, 04:16 PM
Will il txt you :)