PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 sr running problems - struggling!! Maybe Injection?

rockandrollstar
14-01-12, 10:57 AM
Thought i would just ask if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

Ive got a 1.3 sr with polished head and uprated cam. It will show 82bhp on a rolling road but cant be set up consistently. Mainly idle is the problem, it will idle anywhere between 400rpm and 2500rpm. Its really irritating! Ive now put 3 different carbs on it, changed inlet manifold. New plugs, leads, dizzy and coil and nothing makes a difference.

Sorry for sounding a bit dull! Im bored of the trial and error route! My only thought now is the cam is too silly for standard carb?

Also, does anyone know if you can make that engine injection?

Cheers

Stuart
14-01-12, 10:59 AM
Are you taking it to the same place for setup?.... that might be the problem ;)

Southie
14-01-12, 11:00 AM
Which cam have you fitted?

And yes you can fit injection to those engines as a few on here have fitted them, quite rare now though.

rockandrollstar
14-01-12, 11:38 AM
Its a Kent AST2 ?
I didnt fit it tho, i bought it like it is!

Is it the injection off the 1.4 that fits?

Stuart
14-01-12, 11:55 AM
ASt2 should run fine with the 1.3 twin choke carb (Ive seen them do so)

Again, did you take it to the same place each time for a setup... I fear that maybe the problem ;)

Andy
14-01-12, 11:59 AM
Sounds like your taking it to Billy smarts circus mate,an AST2 should be alright on that.

rockandrollstar
14-01-12, 12:46 PM
Well, in that case, could the carb need jetting from standard?

Its only been rolling roaded once and came back no different to when it went in.
The other times its been me setting it up. Embarassingly enough i work in a garage so have access to emissions and timing light etc but thought perhaps doing it statically wasnt enough. The guy i took it to did my mates 1.4 on 40s and got it spot on.
I feel like a right plum!

Stuart
14-01-12, 12:48 PM
err yeah it will need jetting to suit... what exactly did this goon 'do' to set it up if he didnt rejet the sodding thing.
I'd be finding somewhere else to get it setup if I were you

Andy
14-01-12, 12:53 PM
Its not been set up at all then lol
How much did he charge?? £80 should have it setup on the RR'd

rockandrollstar
14-01-12, 12:56 PM
Well, just mixture and timing. Evidently the person who fitted the cam didnt bother with having it set up.
Thankyou for your help, looks like a trip to plymouth is in order.
What i found odd was that the idle is so random, id be happy if it just sat at one speed.
Ill let you know how i get on.