PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Brake Lights

Graeme
14-01-12, 07:31 AM
Recently I've notice people leaving it late when braking behind me to the point where I thought my brake lights weren't working but I have checked them and have a friend follow me on a drive to check its not a intermittent/loose connection fault, one of my friends suggested that people tend to rely on third brake lights due to most cars having them. I've had a look on Ebay but most tend to be a bit ugly/blingy, I just want something simple that works and isn't an eyesore, anyone got any suggestions/links if they are allowed or what do people run themselves.

Thanks in advance Graeme

mowgli
14-01-12, 07:43 AM
graeme, its other people, not your car. 42w of bright red loveliness is enough to stop anyone unless you are driving straight into bright sunshine & can't see anyway, so should slow down. lorries only have the same amount of lights & they are set just as low

paul james
14-01-12, 08:25 AM
What brakes are you running? if you have quality big brakes on then you'll be slowing down quicker than the cars behind you can.

Graeme
14-01-12, 08:35 AM
I'm only running v6's and I thought that being a white van man and all, but I asked a mate's dad to come for a quick spin with me to see if I brake late and he said no, and he is an advance driving tutor, just don't want anyone going into the back of me for two reasons really the most important being that the baby is normally in the car with me and that saloon back panels are nls lol

Graeme
14-01-12, 11:08 PM
Anyone else?

bazil
14-01-12, 11:20 PM
i could get you a spare saloon back panel?? lol

tbh its just todays driving standards that suck mate, i had a parcel shelf britax job

Graeme
15-01-12, 08:11 AM
I'd really like one of the vauxhall ones from years ago, I had one off Luke but sold it with my last car, I'll keep my eye out for one, rather than fitting some led pos off ebay

mowgli
15-01-12, 11:16 AM
what about a trip to a scrappy? you could no doubt find a decent OE one to fit on the rear top edge of your boot, or even your parcel shelf

Graeme
15-01-12, 11:34 AM
Thats not a bad idea Mike was there yesterday but forgot and keeping a spare back panel on stock isn't an option Alan lol

bazil
15-01-12, 11:42 AM
just a thought lol i was toying with the idea of trying to fit one into a gsi spoiler,

mowgli
15-01-12, 11:45 AM
there was a pic of a spanish (?) one on here a few months back with gsi spoiler with a light in it..

and the predator spoiler had an option of a light.

graeme, are there any major manufacturer rear spoilers with them in, (406, s40, bmw 3 series etc) that you could mod to fit your saloon.

marc69
15-01-12, 12:10 PM
My SR has a third light that has been put in the parcel shelf before I got it. Because there were 2 small holes for the screws in the parcel shelf I didn't remove it.

Guess what difference it makes to people braking...that's right, none. Often people sit so close I can't even see their lights.

I did the police/IAM driving course many years ago and the thought then was that you should be able to see the complete car behind you and some road space, if you are behind a car you should see some road before the car.

See how much of that we all observe in the next week!

Seriously though, it makes no difference, people think little old car get out of my way. Oh, and a lot of people think "I have abs and airbags so I don't need to think about braking/safety".

The message of the safest way to not be hurt/killed in an accident is to try and avoid being in one seems to be missed by a lot of the population.

Curtoise
15-01-12, 12:44 PM
mowgli is this the one you are talking about?

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii448/curtreid8/novaweirdspoiler.jpg

i uploaded it a few months ago when my friend took a pic when he went to portugal.

im sure it is just the mentality of being behind a smaller car, i constantly get audi's and bmw's come flying up behind me when im doing the speed limit if not 5mph over!

bazil
15-01-12, 01:04 PM
Hmm im to too sure about the looks of that now :(

mowgli
15-01-12, 09:46 PM
mowgli is this the one you are talking about?

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii448/curtreid8/novaweirdspoiler.jpg

i uploaded it a few months ago when my friend took a pic when he went to portugal.

im sure it is just the mentality of being behind a smaller car, i constantly get audi's and bmw's come flying up behind me when im doing the speed limit if not 5mph over!
yup, thats the piccy....

ps, the bmw/audi thing has nothing to do with small cars, they do it to everything... they regularly try to shove my 44t wagon into the 2nd lane on the mway when they are on the sliproad because they obviously own the motorway.......

marc69
15-01-12, 10:16 PM
That is exactly the phrase, they own the road!