PDA

View Full Version : xe throttle boddies

kirky_boy87
13-01-12, 11:35 AM
hi every 1 ive got xe in my nova and im thinkin of puttin throttle bodies on her, was wondering which is best for there money and how much could i get a new or second hand sets i no there not cheap but r they worth it... cheers lads :thumb: kirk

Jedro
13-01-12, 11:46 AM
its not really a cheap thing to go for tbh mate

Gareth_C
13-01-12, 12:01 PM
You can normally pick them up from eBay but personally I would only get either the QED direct to head throttle bodies or the SBD taper kit. ( you can also get them direct from jenvey) but as Jed said it's not a cheap idea. New your looking at £1000 plus. Second hand prices vary

Harvey
13-01-12, 12:25 PM
It's not a cheap option unless you go for bike carbs. Decent TB's £500+, management and loom £500+, setup £300+, and then there's the head work, manifold/system, cams, verniers etc etc if you plan of getting the best out of the engine.

kirky_boy87
13-01-12, 12:50 PM
cheers lads i no wot your saying prices start gettin abit steep, i mite go down the carb route, i had a full r1 carb set up wiv manifold and cav 1.6 dizzy but i sold them 2 buy an other nova lol, needs must u cant have 2 many novas lol

joshy
13-01-12, 02:03 PM
Look at AT power TB's. there reasonable prices and work well. Might even do a direct to head option but im not sure

peester
13-01-12, 02:24 PM
cheers lads i no wot your saying prices start gettin abit steep,.......... needs must u cant have 2 many novas lol

I disagree. Prices havent changed much - only the VAT amount really. I was quoted many years ago (circa 2000,2001) the usual aprox. £2500 for a set of jenveys, manifold, fittings, ecu and loom fitted with a base map. Paid same, maybe even a little less many years later (2009) as VAT was temporarliy decreased to 15%.
Has to be said, if anything, its a little easier to afford them these days with wage/inflation rises.

Also you can have too many novas lol. When it stops you from buying carbs/ITB's.

richi
13-01-12, 05:24 PM
whats been done to the xe? or is it standard?

Riggy
13-01-12, 05:48 PM
as richi says is it std XE , and whats it used for , track days, drag strip etc ,

or do you just want bhp ? ,

for a example if its a track car , have you got a diff ? that would make you quicker the some TB's imo

Andy
13-01-12, 05:51 PM
Has to be said, if anything, its a little easier to afford them these days with wage/inflation rises.
Wtf?

peester
13-01-12, 07:21 PM
well ok.. sort of lol. Im sure there arent many people who are earning less now than they did in 2001/2002.. making a couple of grand a bit easier to save up these days, than it may have been ten or so years ago.. Thats what i meant :-s lol

philip
13-01-12, 09:04 PM
QED dth bodies are good value, find 2nd hand ecu, make a loom and have full setup for less than £1k imo

Lewis.
13-01-12, 10:44 PM
well ok.. sort of lol. Im sure there arent many people who are earning less now than they did in 2001/2002.. making a couple of grand a bit easier to save up these days, than it may have been ten or so years ago.. Thats what i meant :-s lol

exactly, most people are earning near enough the same as they were 10 years ago, but now everything costs so much more, so it's much harder to save up that grand of two. the price of everything has increased, road fuel, food, car insurance, energy, water, a pint, everything. I'm not convinced by your logic tbh lol

Stuart
13-01-12, 10:58 PM
Kirky, bin the text typing.

what do you want from the engine/car ultimately ?

scott.parker
13-01-12, 11:52 PM
IMO to get a full set ready to bolt on/use with ecu etc your talking £1500 2nd hand

and again imo there worth every penny for the noise if nothing els! lol

joshy
14-01-12, 09:13 AM
http://atpowershop.co.uk/catalog/vauxhall-throttle-bodies-assembly-direct-head-p-147.html
plus standalone and setup and your looking at about £1400-1500

kirky_boy87
14-01-12, 09:37 AM
my xe is just standard apart from a powercap, i have only had in my nova since october and ive got the bug for more power, it takes me a while to save up but i get there in the end lol. people ive being talking to say tb's are the best way and i didn't no where 2 get them from, im still havin great fun now with it standard for now but i think tb's are the way forward. i use it for the road not track use, cheers lads for all your advise

turbojolt
14-01-12, 10:21 AM
If you can strip it out and get some buckets that will see it going better then throttle bodies and won't cost anywhere as much lol

Stuart
14-01-12, 10:29 AM
TB's on their own wont make you much extra power, they will pave the way for easy adding of cams/headwork/bottom end builds in future though. And while they are a fairly expensive outlay they dont depreciate by much come sale time (assuming you break like most high spec cars go), so longer term are a cheap mod :) Just don expect much more than 170bhp from a good condition recently built std engine and TB's (plus ARP rod bolts as a minimum of engine work)

Andy
14-01-12, 12:03 PM
exactly, most people are earning near enough the same as they were 10 years ago, but now everything costs so much more, so it's much harder to save up that grand of two. the price of everything has increased, road fuel, food, car insurance, energy, water, a pint, everything. I'm not convinced by your logic tbh lol
This.Exactly this.

scott.parker
14-01-12, 05:43 PM
If you can strip it out and get some buckets that will see it going better then throttle bodies and won't cost anywhere as much lol

TJ screw off! they make the world of difference on a standard xe with full GSi trim, trust me, and Sean and Riggy will back this up, as Sean's standard striped xe with buckets didn't stand a chance on the m1 years ago! lol

turbojolt
14-01-12, 05:49 PM
TJ screw off! they make the world of difference on a standard xe with full GSi trim, trust me, and Sean and Riggy will back this up, as Sean's standard striped xe with buckets didn't stand a chance on the m1 years ago! lol

lol I see what your saying but I still think the money it cost to get tb and get them running right would be better spent on setting the car up better, suspension brakes tyres ect

Stuart
14-01-12, 09:50 PM
I'm with dolty on that one... Do everything else then have a pop at the engine.