PDA

View Full Version : Tapping noise since fitting 4 branch!

leggattr
11-01-12, 10:59 PM
As above since iv put this on it sounds worse than the original sr manifold and downpipe. It roars nicely at higher speeds but taps all the way through the gears.
Any ideas what this could be? Never done this before. It's a sportex 4 branch btw.
Thanks
Richard

MK999
11-01-12, 11:07 PM
Sometimes an exhaust leak can tap squeak and make all kinds of random noises, I would check out the manifold area see if you see any sooty marks from a leak.

novarally
12-01-12, 07:55 AM
The thin metal of a tubular manifold will amplify any pre-existing noises.

Big thick cast iron OE manifolds mask all sorts!

novalovingned
12-01-12, 05:17 PM
Agree with both, I would have a look to see if it's leaking first, a leaking manifold at the head will cause a tapping noise.

MK999
12-01-12, 11:18 PM
The thin metal of a tubular manifold will amplify any pre-existing noises.

Big thick cast iron OE manifolds mask all sorts!

That was my next suggestion but I didn't wanna scare him straight away lol

Riggy
12-01-12, 11:38 PM
more often then not its a ****ed exhaust manifold gaskey , did you fit a new one at the same time ?

leggattr
13-01-12, 06:06 PM
If there was other problems I would of thought I would of heard somthing?
I didn't change the gasket as it was changed less than a year ago. So iv now ordered a new gasket and just picked up some new studs and nuts from vauxhall. Il see if that helps. The only thing it could be is I couldn't fully tighten the bottom left nuts due to access.

novalovingned
13-01-12, 06:37 PM
There's your problem then mate. The slightest bit of slack and it will leak. I know the nut your on about, when I fitted a 4 branch to my old 8v there was one that I could hardly get too, but I just spent the time to tighten it properly.

MK999
13-01-12, 09:33 PM
After a year your exhaust gasket will be flatter than a roadkilled pancake, definitely no good to re use.