PDA

View Full Version : Rear discs

JJL
11-01-12, 10:28 PM
Hi not the usual route but possibly a cheaper one. I have seen a rear disc conversion kit on fleabay using the nova front brakes. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks. Jason

mowgli
11-01-12, 10:30 PM
you will not have a handbrake. it will overbrake the rear end. how would you mount it? or the disc?

JJL
11-01-12, 10:41 PM
Hydraulic handbrake and bias valve will sort the first two problems. For fitting and mounting i don't know that was my question as the pics on fleabay are pretty vague.

bazil
11-01-12, 10:43 PM
MOT requires a cable operated handbrake

Stuart
11-01-12, 10:49 PM
If its for looks, just do it the normal way with cav bits.
Failing that how about modding Clio 1*2 bits to fit as the Pcd and offset is nearly perfect.

Otherwise drums are more than fine, and the braking power will be dialed down to drum levels anyway with discs.

Mark
11-01-12, 10:56 PM

How do they get away with it on new cars with electronic parking brake? That is a hydraulic system in most cases.

JJL
11-01-12, 10:58 PM

I know i do MOT's :thumb: the car in question isn't and won't be road legal. The car mainly gets abused on hill climbs and sprints. Just thought it may have been a cheap conversion but may aswell stick with the drums it seems. Thanks for the replies chaps.

JJL
11-01-12, 10:59 PM
How do they get away with it on new cars with electronic parking brake? That is a hydraulic system in most cases.

Not the case an electric motor pulls and releases the cables.

Mark
11-01-12, 11:02 PM

I saw a renault espace yesterday that has no cables. The electronic brake hydraulically locks all 4 wheels....I know this as due to accident damage 1 front wheel and caliper were ripped off. The fluid was leaking from that corner and eventually the system failed and the remaining 3 wheels were free to move as I loaded it onto the load truck with my forklift.

JJL
11-01-12, 11:10 PM
I saw a renault espace yesterday that has no cables. The electronic brake hydraulically locks all 4 wheels....I know this as due to accident damage 1 front wheel and caliper were ripped off. The fluid was leaking from that corner and eventually the system failed and the remaining 3 wheels were free to move as I loaded it onto the load truck with my forklift.

Interesting. Only ever seen them on BMW's, Jag's (which are absolute 5hite btw) and top end stuff. What year was it would be interesting to see how their system works?

Stuart
11-01-12, 11:12 PM
Epb gets special clauses in mots.

John
11-01-12, 11:14 PM

Not on vw/audi. The motor is bolted directly to the caliper.

Mark
11-01-12, 11:14 PM
Interesting. Only ever seen them on BMW's, Jag's (which are absolute 5hite btw) and top end stuff. What year was it would be interesting to see how their system works?

54 reg.

Stuart
11-01-12, 11:15 PM
It's in 54 plate ford fusions too lol, nothing fancy about epb's

JJL
11-01-12, 11:21 PM
Not on vw/audi. The motor is bolted directly to the caliper.

Forgot about those only ever seen one but tbh i hate working on the vast majority of german cars. As for epb's in general i'm personally not a fan and find them quite pointless.

Stuart
11-01-12, 11:25 PM
They free up cabin space, can weigh less, added fun such as auto release on launch, applies more braking if the brakes are hot and contract after stopping etc.... Lots of pros and nearly no cons really. Just the usual fear and hate towards modern thinking with car lol

John
11-01-12, 11:29 PM
They free up cabin space, can weigh less, added fun such as auto release on launch, applies more braking if the brakes are hot and contract after stopping etc.... Lots of pros and nearly no cons really. Just the usual fear and hate towards modern thinking with car lol

This. Hill start is also handy, so the brakes don't release until throttle pressed. Although emergency brake in an A8 at 100 is scary! (just press button and hold on!) lol

JJL
11-01-12, 11:30 PM
Good points but i personally have never come accross any of the that are light. The reason i don't like them mainly is because there way more of a b!tch to work with.

Stuart
11-01-12, 11:33 PM
This. Hill start is also handy, so the brakes don't release until throttle pressed. Although emergency brake in an A8 at 100 is scary! (just press button and hold on!) lol
Bring one to billing, we are going testing lol

Novasport
11-01-12, 11:56 PM
They used to use a golf rear disc & caliper set up on the rear of Nova rally cars as the golf caliper has a lever/cable attatchment for the parking brake.
You can run a cable park brake for MOT requirements & a hydraulic one for in competition use

novarally
12-01-12, 07:53 AM
Hydraulic handbrake and bias valve will sort the first two problems. For fitting and mounting i don't know that was my question as the pics on fleabay are pretty vague.

In my workshop I have a rear beam converted to run Nova front discs, complete with alloy caliper mounting brackets, calipers etc. The beam even has nylon bushes in it.

Yours for not a lot of money, would be ideal for autotests etc.

Mark
12-01-12, 08:10 AM
They used to use a golf rear disc & caliper set up on the rear of Nova rally cars as the golf caliper has a lever/cable attatchment for the parking brake.
You can run a cable park brake for MOT requirements & a hydraulic one for in competition use

Which is the same as my rear beam converted with MK4 Astra gear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODA2LTAwOTc0LmpwZw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODA2LTAwOTcwLmpwZw.jpg

japsportscarmad
01-02-12, 04:36 PM
I did a disk conversion wish I had stuck to drums as just as good for road stuff even with alet in it. Only good thing they look good through wheels.

Used hydraulic handbrake MOT guy winked and passed it but I was lucky dont think they are suposed to.

Benn
01-02-12, 09:28 PM
Mark, what do you do able cables when using mk4 Astra stuff?

Graeme
01-02-12, 09:39 PM
Has anyone got a picture of the handbrake cables on a cav set up as mine it rubbing a lot on the exhaust

Mark
01-02-12, 09:46 PM
Mark, what do you do able cables when using mk4 Astra stuff?

I bought a MK4 Astra cable set which seems pretty easy to link in.

Benn
01-02-12, 10:48 PM
Any chance of pics mark? Astra stuff seems a nice way of doing it..

Mark
01-02-12, 11:14 PM
I don't as yet, but basically the MK4 rear cables come as 1 part, 2 equal length cables joined in the middle to the short handbrake cable. So, easy to shorten or lengthen to your needs.

Benn
02-02-12, 07:54 AM
Ah that's good.