PDA

View Full Version : ARB? yes or no?

windfreek
11-01-12, 02:05 PM
Ive heard that taking the front ARB of a corsa b improves handling, i assume this is the same for a nova, if so what is the down side to doing this?

thanks

John
11-01-12, 02:08 PM
Personal preference really, I've never ran a front arb on any of my big block novas and preferred it. :)

windfreek
11-01-12, 02:12 PM
what did you notice after you took it off (its hammering it down outside here and can wait til later before i try) lol

Stuart
11-01-12, 02:41 PM
without for me too (on a nova that is... and with the OEM nova/corsa design, a real one might be of benefit for some cars)

Edd
11-01-12, 04:13 PM
With for me no matter what engine and suspension set up you have

Feels dangerous without imo (cue Stu and Spuds humour lol)

mowgli
11-01-12, 04:29 PM
personal preference all the way....

i have one on mine, but i'm not a huge fan of body roll....

Andy
11-01-12, 04:34 PM
Without.
Theyre useless

ocdstigy
11-01-12, 04:45 PM
With,if you want bodyroll go to a weight watchers class

Stuart
11-01-12, 05:09 PM
With for me no matter what engine and suspension set up you have

Feels dangerous without imo (cue Stu and Spuds humour lol)

I'd love to know what feels safe to you lol.... I dont think its dangerous either way, but preferable without the lashup GM added, as said a properly designed and implemented setup would be of benefit to 90% of those running without.

mk1nova_rich
11-01-12, 05:10 PM
I removed mine and never noticed the difference in all honesty (small block 16v) but I think this may be down to stiffer springs. On a standard car I imagine the difference will be noticeable

Andy
11-01-12, 06:54 PM
LOL at the ZOMG it causes bodyroll without it.
Yeah,cos that pathetic attempt really stops it.
hard springs,not stupidly low and soft damping and its alright

Jedro
11-01-12, 07:19 PM
interesting topic, i have a corsa sport thats had a bit of a history from what iv heard but iv found that all the 8v corsas didnt come with one standard, dont think the 12v's did ether but sports should and mine doesn't have one. handles alrite though imo

Tim
11-01-12, 07:55 PM
back in the day i fitted one on a nova i had running 17s, made a massive difference to handling, lowered -60mm on shocks and springs with 205 450 17 tyres. but it handled like a pig anyway so anything was worth a shot lol.

mowgli
11-01-12, 08:10 PM
LOL at the ZOMG it causes bodyroll without it.
Yeah,cos that pathetic attempt really stops it.
hard springs,not stupidly low and soft damping and its alright

andy, some of us still like softish springing and arb's.. i do cos where i drive, the lanes are horrendous in a hard sprung car.

turbojolt
11-01-12, 08:19 PM
andy, some of us still like softish springing and arb's.. i do cos where i drive, the lanes are horrendous in a hard sprung car.

I've driven some of the lanes around nuneaton and hinkley and I see were your coming from, but its one of them things depends what you like/how you drive

Edd
11-01-12, 08:24 PM

Totally agree there

MK999
11-01-12, 08:38 PM
If you're going with I'd use polybushes on it, tighten the clamps to something low like 5Nm with loctite on or nylocs and grease the bushes, that might at least allow a bit more movement than the usual rust against rubber effort.

But without for me.

mowgli
11-01-12, 09:28 PM
I've driven some of the lanes around nuneaton and hinkley and I see were your coming from, but its one of them things depends what you like/how you drive

i doubt you've driven them like a local..........;)

blue_peg_16v
11-01-12, 09:28 PM
I'd remove the front and leave the rear on

turbojolt
11-01-12, 09:39 PM
i doubt you've driven them like a local..........;)

True but I try my best lol

mowgli
11-01-12, 09:41 PM
i'll avoid gas vans then...

turbojolt
11-01-12, 09:46 PM
I would the amount of unknown dents on it now days lol that reminds me need new tyres these ones.only lasted 5 k :mad:

mowgli
11-01-12, 09:55 PM
are you paid by the hour or on a productivity bonus?

turbojolt
11-01-12, 10:01 PM
We can get productivity related bonuses but its sales based as well as customer feed back based and other crap lol, but I don't try and sell in peoples houses like it as its illegal and when I mentioned that to the manager they changed the wording from sales to promoting, arseholes lol

Pistol Pete
11-01-12, 10:04 PM
I will be running without one.

mowgli
11-01-12, 10:09 PM
We can get productivity related bonuses but its sales based as well as customer feed back based and other crap lol, but I don't try and sell in peoples houses like it as its illegal and when I mentioned that to the manager they changed the wording from sales to promoting, arseholes lol

i'm trying to work out if you need to drive like hell or just do it for fun

Stuart
11-01-12, 10:11 PM
i'm trying to work out if you need to drive like hell or just do it for fun
Someone else's van/tyres..... Of course it's abused for fun

turbojolt
11-01-12, 10:18 PM
I always stick to the speed limit I just some times try to stick to it around corners lol nah im not that bad tbh

gary_126
11-01-12, 10:55 PM
In an ideal world, with every time! But the fact is the nova design is **** (its not even symetrical!!) Took mine off my first sri, and the main noticeable difference was the ride felt smoother (not as harsh) with no negative effects to the handling otherwise. So never ran with one on my current sri.

Bubba
11-01-12, 11:00 PM
i wont be fitting one if i finish mine...even my bmw one isnt bolted up properly lol oops :p

faker
12-01-12, 02:10 AM
I'm running my rally car with an ARB on the front with coilovers and without on the rear with GTE springs and koni dampers. It now handles dead on. Tried and tested set up as used in the vauxhall nova rallycross championship in the early 1990s.

moffat
12-01-12, 11:19 AM
i'll be running one with mine, hopefully be fully polybushed aswell and on gaz coilovers