PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Engine?

womble sri
08-01-12, 05:49 PM
Anyone know if there is a way of checking the status of an engine i.e. enter your engine number to see if it is registered stolen etc? I don not think that mine has been stolen but before reregistering it would be good to confirm it is not so that i do not have it siezed :)

I am sure there must be some way and have searched the police/DVLA websoites but as always they are ****e.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Mike
08-01-12, 05:50 PM
No way of knowing AFAIK chopper.

Probably better off creating your own engine number & registering it like that IMO.

Andy
08-01-12, 05:52 PM
Even if it was it,it wouldnt be seized,ive been stopped dozens of times and never had my engine number checked.Ever.I dont suppose plod would even know where to look.
And in answer to the original question,no,theres no way of knowing.

Mike
08-01-12, 05:53 PM
The engine number on my XE is the first 8 digits of the landline phone number for reception at work :)

mowgli
08-01-12, 05:55 PM
only the old bill will be allowed access to dvla info like that..

write the engine no. down somewhere in case you need parts for it...

womble sri
08-01-12, 06:05 PM
Cheers guys, well im just about to register the car correctly as a LET as its always been down as an SR and I need to give the correct number to my Insurers for agreed valuation purposes. Its a bit silly really so if you wanted to buy an engine, there is absolutely no way of finding out if it has been stolen you just have to wait until you try regiistering it with the ****s in swansea (DVLA).

So if my engine had been stolen and i tried to register it what would happen I wonder?

I have searched the web and found on some US Honda forums that there local police station would give them the info. I wonder of it is the same over here? Perhaps I'll give them a call tommorow.

And Mike - love the engine number/landline idea haha

Mike
08-01-12, 06:14 PM
Stolen engines are really big in America but the Police over there are shÃ*t hot on it (go on any US Honda forum, plenty cars get impounded for stolen/illegal mods!) Over here though theres nothing like it at all.

Im not taking the pish mate, my engine number is the works landline number!

mowgli
08-01-12, 06:54 PM
when you put in the engine no. simply add a * somewhere in the number, no computer will pick the original no. up.

Ben
08-01-12, 10:01 PM
If there's a number on it then that's a start! As said just rearrange some digits

Nick J
08-01-12, 10:16 PM
I very much doubt with the amount of cash that guy blows on cars (His new build imparticular) that he would have started with a dodgy motor. My block had been painted previously and it was a pain to get the number too. Im pretty sure autovaux had something on their website that gave the numbers the c20let went from and too. So they can determine the difference between the early/late let's. Id check it out as for that reason I wouldnt want to have any old sequence jotted down even If they dont check many. Just a thought!

Nick.

LEWI007
08-01-12, 10:27 PM
Just stamp 69 onto the end of it.

womble sri
08-01-12, 10:31 PM
Nick I doubt it too! Just wanted to be sure, I've got the receipt for the engine anyway. I was just curious that's all, have you got a link to his latest build?

Cheers

Neil

Nick J
08-01-12, 10:46 PM
Nick I doubt it too! Just wanted to be sure, I've got the receipt for the engine anyway. I was just curious that's all, have you got a link to his latest build?

Cheers

Neil

I dont have a link but I do like to have a look now and again to see how its progressing. Its over on passionford..... 106 four wheel drive cosworth. Huge outrageous money/spec build with nothing but quality components/fab work throughout. Id love to know what he does for a living!!!

Nick.

Andy
08-01-12, 10:50 PM
I dont have a link but I do like to have a look now and again to see how its progressing. Its over on passionford..... 106 four wheel drive cosworth. Huge outrageous money/spec build with nothing but quality components/fab work throughout. Id love to know what he does for a living!!!

Nick.
Its on PSOOC aswell,he didnt build it,he bought it like that.

Nick J
08-01-12, 10:57 PM
Its on PSOOC aswell,he didnt build it,he bought it like that.

Yeah I knew he bought it converted but last I saw it was completely stripped and going from subtle to monster spec. Im sure he said he has over 65k in it now.

Nick.

rednova
09-01-12, 12:11 PM
I work with the dvla data - the amount of records that are wrong and incorrect is unbelievable - the majority of eninge numbers are not known and the amount of people driving round with a logbook that has a completely different vin is astonishing!!!!

c20tbo
12-02-12, 03:43 AM
Your engine was difinately not stolen, i purchased your engine from vpsc vauxhall spares centre £1600 i gave for her in standard trim, low mileage aswell.:)

c20tbo
12-02-12, 08:52 AM

Nick.

Thanks Nick, Hopefully the 106 will be up and running this year, should be fully painted in a month or so, little gearbox issues to get round but nothing major.

I work offshore :thumb:

c20tbo
12-02-12, 08:56 AM
Totally different car than before it doesnt run any oe cosworth running gear or gearbox, all in the bin! now WRC/GRPA parts and 700bhp

Spudly
12-02-12, 09:31 AM
Any links to the thread on this 106, I'm intrigued and would love to have a spy :thumb:

Southie
12-02-12, 11:55 AM
Here you go Spudders.
http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?123742-106-cosworth-4x4-pedal-box-new-wheels-H-brake&