PDA

View Full Version : compressorproblem

richi
08-01-12, 11:59 AM
started the compressor and it stunk of burning, took it apart to find the capacitor smoking lol, going to pick another one up of the bay but what info do i need of the original cap to know i am getting the correct one?

richi
08-01-12, 12:04 PM
and another quickey what size comp would you need just to run things like a DA and a spray gun,just for in the garage?

MK999
08-01-12, 12:14 PM
The capacitor should have some stats printed on it, you're looking for the capacitance in Farads (F) and the power it will take, in kW or kVA, or W or VA depending how big it is. That should see a suitable replacement.

Air tools are quite high usage, I think about 15cfm to run a DA from memory. Similar/slightly less for an air gun, requires a fairly big beast. Bigger tank will help keep the pressure more consistent but it's useless without the air going into it matching the amount coming out.

richi
09-01-12, 04:20 PM
Was looking at a 25 litre comp wasn't sure if it would do the job

16v Nova Kev
09-01-12, 04:26 PM
too small imo buy an electric DA.

MK999
09-01-12, 09:12 PM
Was looking at a 25 litre comp wasn't sure if it would do the job

It's not really the tank size that matters, that basically just gives you a bit of a cushion to use something needing a higher CFM for 5 seconds, it's what CFM the compressor can do that matters. But if it's only a 25l tank chances are it's a 2-3cfm compressor, way too small.

Riggy
09-01-12, 11:43 PM
Yeah 25l are normally useless. Ok for tyres etc but won't run many air tools , have got one sat here that's no use to me any more lol

Picked up a 150l 5hp 3 phase one for my unit before Xmas , that's good enough lol

I've found if you want to stick to single phase the a 3hp with a decent tank will do it but it will be working at 100% , really need a twin compressor but there big money

16v Nova Kev
10-01-12, 03:07 PM
you can piggy back 2 small ones i found out.

richi
21-01-12, 04:53 PM
replaced the cap with a new 25mf it worked for a little bit then packed in.
if i put the old cap back on the motor runs really slow, if i put the new cap on the motor wont spin unless i turn the fan myself then it will kick in but run really slow,

is it only the mf value that matters on the cap or do the other values matter aswell?
anything else i can check to find the problem? thanks for any help

David2005
21-01-12, 05:45 PM
I'd take a look inside the motor to see if anything is burn't out