PDA

View Full Version : Help cant find me engine number!

womble sri
07-01-12, 03:20 PM
Hi all

Cant find the engine number on my LET, I know where it is supposed to be (on block where bolts to gearbox) but my block has been painted. I know the stamp is ever so feint so the paint could of covered it! The trouble is i dont want to be rubbing the paint off with the engine in-situ but i need the number to A properly register it the DVLA & B finalise my agreed valuation.

Is there anywhere else on the engine where i can get the code? I have looked around on the forums and some people have said about making the code up, however a friend has got a LET sat around that wont be going i anytime soon so was wondering if i could use his or change a digit on his number. Ive heard some blocks have stickers with the code on so could of come off?

Any help would be much appreciated

Neil

Nick J
07-01-12, 04:19 PM
It should be exactly were you stated above...... I had a similar problem the other year when registering the yellow one correctly. However it is rather difficult to see with the engine in situ. In the end Im pretty sure I resorted to the tracing paper method which worked ok enough to be able to get the details. If you cant find it or it doesnt have one and you need parts in the future the cambelt cover will tell you whether or not its an early or late let which is generally good enough for autovaux or similar to sort you out.

Nick.

womble sri
07-01-12, 07:14 PM
Cheers Nick, my dad reccomended the tracing paper method although I can't even feel any imprint of a stamp with my finger, think I'll have to strip the front down and rub the paint down to have a look, nethertheless it's a bit of a situation I'm in!!!

Southie
08-01-12, 04:09 AM
I was going to suggest the old style brass rubbing tracing paper technique as well.

Btw Mr Womble, non of your signature links work, were they originally from the old feature section? If so it no longer exists which I think is a shame :(

womble sri
08-01-12, 03:13 PM
Hey Southie, Cheers I have removed them, I left them as I anticiapted the features being updated as they were with the last time the forum moved.

Guess i'll have to strip some of the front end away they as it is such a tight fit behind there. Dont suppose anyone has a close up pic of a code stamped in so that I can at least narrow it down to exactly where on the flange is should be?

Southie
08-01-12, 03:18 PM
This is an XE but it's in the same place.

http://img75.echo.cx/img75/930/c20xe9wd.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us/)

womble sri
08-01-12, 03:22 PM
Well done chap! +rep

womble sri
08-01-12, 03:33 PM
Would i be right in saying that it is stamped on the top of the flange rather than the LH side?

Southie
08-01-12, 03:37 PM
Yes it's on the top thin section.

womble sri
08-01-12, 03:40 PM
Phew i was expecting to had to rub down further on the flange and that would be a complete ball ache - grabs coat and runs to garage :)

Once again cheers buddy