PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

scorge01
07-01-12, 01:07 AM
Hi all still think that my intercooler is too tight and really don't wanna cut any of my front bumper work will be commencing again after I gt bk 2 work so what's the best 1 I could use? Needs too be slim but ok for 300bhp

mrT
07-01-12, 01:21 AM
get a chargecooler instead, would work better, fit easier and handle 300bhp no problems

Andy
07-01-12, 01:25 AM
Costs more than another gsi bumper though!

mrT
07-01-12, 01:32 AM
sure does but you only ever buy it once, it works and you dont need to cut your car to bits to fit it, its a no brainer if you ask me

Mieran
07-01-12, 01:38 AM
Frontera one mate, they are thin, ive seen a few Nova nova with gsi bumper with them behind

scorge01
07-01-12, 01:54 AM
Iwas told charge coolers weren't as good at keeping it cool as a intercooler? What's people's thoughts on a half decent sized intercooler with a charge cooler? Not willing to cut bumper as was a new gsi one before painting, also what sorta price would a charge cooler cost full kit and does anyone know of any forsale?

Benn
07-01-12, 08:08 AM
I've not touched my front bumper. (cut the bar down on the inside) i looked to ebay and found the slimest uni one poss and use that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/Bumperandtrimfitting.jpg

scorge01
07-01-12, 10:22 AM
You got any pics without bumper been? Cheers

Benn
07-01-12, 12:45 PM
I do.

Old one,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/wiperstuff7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7940.jpg

scorge01
07-01-12, 01:22 PM
what have you done with your bumper bar or does it fit on no bother?

Jack
07-01-12, 02:01 PM
I was under the impression a chargecooler system was more efficient at cooling than an intercooler, and allows for a better inlet tract design? The heat exchanger on my Celica isn't overly large, and that system is good for over 300bhp.

Only drawback is there's more components and you need to mount a pump somewhere.

Benn
07-01-12, 03:20 PM
what have you done with your bumper bar or does it fit on no bother?

Bar has had the middle cut out, i lied you might need to trim some of the inner fins on the bumper. But they are all inside and none seen.

Cant find a pic at the mo tho...

scorge01
07-01-12, 04:09 PM
Ah thats not so bad then as thought I would have to, does that make your bumper sag atall? I dont mind cutting parts u won't see but not cutting anything visual as want it to be subtle and people not to know it's turbo'd at first :)

Stuart
07-01-12, 05:00 PM
Air to water cooling is more efficient than air to air, but it's much more expensive to get all the bits. Swings and roundabouts but in a front engine car with enough space I'd go for Fmic for cheapness, but air to water for uber stealth.

Mieran
07-01-12, 08:41 PM
I'd say that cooler ben got is a bit small for 300bhp specially with only that small area its getting air from

And chargecoolers can be good if you can keep the water temp down which means big radiator

Benn
08-01-12, 10:19 AM
Ah thats not so bad then as thought I would have to, does that make your bumper sag atall? I dont mind cutting parts u won't see but not cutting anything visual as want it to be subtle and people not to know it's turbo'd at first :)

Bumper isn't sag at all, most of the bar is still there, it's only a bit from the bottom and middle, the top is still there. I only had to trim some of the fines back really. As i like you didn't want to cut to much as i hate them ticking out the bumper. Mine is a little more stealthy look...

I'd say that cooler ben got is a bit small for 300bhp specially with only that small area its getting air from

And chargecoolers can be good if you can keep the water temp down which means big radiator

It's "rated" to 300bhp. But that's just what the add says. But with where mine is sat, it's directly in the middle of the "mouth" cut out, so th air is directed straight to it.

scorge01
08-01-12, 11:10 AM
What size is your intercooler been? Also what bhp are you running?

Benn
08-01-12, 05:51 PM
222brake, but going to PH2 at the mo. and off hand i cant remember i can have ago and measuring it tho...

scorge01
08-01-12, 06:14 PM
I meant how many litres is it? The 1 iv got is a 9L but it's not fitting well but might try cutting more out of the front bumper bar

womble sri
08-01-12, 06:56 PM
Could have a custom one made? Mine is running a smaller intercoller and charge cooler. I did not build it but seems to work incredibly well!

Benn
08-01-12, 07:11 PM
I meant how many litres is it? The 1 iv got is a 9L but it's not fitting well but might try cutting more out of the front bumper bar

I wanna say 9-10lt. But i cant fully remember.

c20tbo
16-02-12, 08:28 PM
c20tbo had a bespoke intercooler + radiator made from Pro alloy, initially it only ran with the chargecooler but suffered heat soak on silverstone (it was a very hot day) the pro alloy setup was around £800 and made a massive difference, its not always about the size of the cooler its the quality of the cores used, pro alloy and spec r are best available.

My 106 will run a spec r item as they use the new garrett cores that are so efficient, lets you go alot smaller cooler to save room.

scorge01
19-02-12, 09:00 AM
Where could I find spec r's? Also have you any pics of your old nova setup?

c20tbo
19-02-12, 10:26 AM
Sorry fella no pics, but it was a work of art, i measured up and sent all the info to pro alloy (wayne) fitted perfect with only a small mod to one of the corners needed

Spec R have a website.

womble sri
20-02-12, 08:30 PM
http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj601/neilpearman/33e00ba2.jpg

I'll get another pic next time I'm at my garage

The Simps
20-02-12, 10:15 PM
Got a pic and measurements of your IC scorge? I've got a charge cooler set up I may be up for swapping with you.

japsportscarmad
10-03-12, 06:11 PM
Hi M8 Ive run both but using an AVT Charge cooler barrel type some of here ones on e bay are sh*t but the AVT seems ok its 75mm in and out with water feed using bosch pump.

Miy cars in bits at moment but can take pic of it off car if it helps.

I run the turbo off a similar system own rad big pump keeps heat off the engine

So I didnt cut the front bumper i cut the snow plow bit off the spoiler than fabricated something up loks factory but it releases loads of space behinb bumper.

If you pm me mobile I will send pic.

chris