PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel panels??

EwanG
06-01-12, 10:45 PM
Hey guys I am new to PNG and am looking for a mk1 sr to take me back to my youth :d !! I am a steel fabricator and if I were to buy a nova that needed some welding repairs I would be tempted to replace some rusty common places with stainless steel sheet. Correct me if I am wrong but if a battery tray,boot corners,front splash guards,sill patches or floor pan etc ect were rotten then why replace with mild steel? Stainless would last a lifetime and would never need replaced again! Any comments would be appreciated :thumb:..

Novasport
06-01-12, 10:54 PM
DMC Nova, just add Flux Capacitor

paul james
Its probably mostly due to a cost difference why replacement panels aren't stainless. Are there issues with welding stainless to mild steel?

novarally
Replace all the panels with brushed stainless..............a DeLorean Nova.

craighawkins
06-01-12, 11:00 PM
or just build a full carbon fibre shell

Bubba
06-01-12, 11:17 PM
mild steel sheet...£12-15 for a 2mx1m sheet...DECENT stainless sheet same size/thickness £80-120 (depending on grade) and thats what we pay for it. add 20%ish on top. another option in Zintec (zinc covered) mild steel. have to grind where youre welding but it would offer better protection.

Stuart
06-01-12, 11:20 PM
Thats the thing, if you weld stainless to mild it will rot faster than simply welding mild to mild.
Plus stainless weighs a fecking ton compared to mild.

Ali or Kevlar body FTW (sod carbon, too shattery when things go wrong lol )

Bubba
06-01-12, 11:47 PM
if you were to make panels from anything to prevent rust, aluminium would be a good one. although cant weld it but things like door skins and front wings could be done if you could bend it into shape.

EwanG
06-01-12, 11:51 PM
Its worth paying more if its gona last (I could get it for free!). Why would it rot faster??? I know it weighs more but a few repairs aint gona make much difference! Steel and stainless weld fine as long as you have your settings right either using mild steel wire or stainless wire. The bottom of the front wings could be cut and replaced with stainless and maybe even the bottom half of the outer door skin..

EwanG
06-01-12, 11:55 PM
mild steel sheet...£12-15 for a 2mx1m sheet...DECENT stainless sheet same size/thickness £80-120 (depending on grade) and thats what we pay for it. add 20%ish on top. another option in Zintec (zinc covered) mild steel. have to grind where youre welding but it would offer better protection.

I take it your a fellow fabricator aswel matey?

Bubba
06-01-12, 11:58 PM
smaller sections would be ok.

nah i just work in a metal stockholders. although most of our alu/stainless etc etc is all aerospace approved so when i can get my hands on some "scrap sheet" i know its good stuff :p except the carbon sheet...thats just bog standard steel. rarely get scrap stainless though.

bazil
07-01-12, 12:09 AM
fook it, just repair it the get it galvinised lol, actually forget painting it aswell,
nude galvy FTW

EwanG
07-01-12, 12:11 AM
smaller sections would be ok.

nah i just work in a metal stockholders. although most of our alu/stainless etc etc is all aerospace approved so when i can get my hands on some "scrap sheet" i know its good stuff :p except the carbon sheet...thats just bog standard steel. rarely get scrap stainless though.

What company do you work for? If I do get my hands on a nova and it needs welding I will fabricate some stainless parts if possible and may replicate some if I have time if there is anyone on here wanting some. I have access presses to fold steel and rollers to roll if splashguards are needed.

Bubba
07-01-12, 08:40 AM
Smiths Advanced Metals. its great, you name the metal we can get it :D stainless effect aluminium is awesome. sadly it actually works out cheaper for me to buy mild steel from another company due to the fact since we have aerospace approvals we can charge more lol so i keep my eye out for the odd damaged scrap sheet ;)

Stuart
07-01-12, 10:21 AM
Stainless welded to mild will rot mega fast at the join due to the nature of the join even using dissimilar metal rods/wire.