PDA

View Full Version : suspension

Dicko
17-07-03, 11:22 AM
ok now i wanna get my suspension sorted best I can without spending too much on it.

my initial plans are to fit poly bushes all round, cant think of anything else without buying a new suspension kit which im weary about as I see bad reports for all the kits i want/can afford.

im currently runing gmax front+back shox aswell. the back end sits up high which is anoying. iv also done the camber mod which is about right as tyres wear pretty evenly.

is there anything else i can do apaprt from bushes and new suspension.

also can anybody recomend good suspension kit for about ?300 or less ;)

cheers

Breeny
17-07-03, 12:51 PM
Strengthened TCA's, lowered tie bar brackets.. eccentric top mounts.. Remove anti rollbar?? Decent tyres (no point in doing all that if your running on crap tyres!) Can't really think of anything else lol

IMO Adjustables are a lot better than the Gmax etc. Think the kits are about ?350 for Koni/Avo/Spax etc.

Dicko
17-07-03, 01:11 PM
what is TCA?

also whats eccentric top mount? i thouht was came with some suspension kits :s

dont wanna remove antiroll bar sorry iv tried it without and didnt like it.

the tyres i use are about right, not too hard yet not too soft they wear out in 5 mins

if i see toyo proxys back on mytyres for a good price i will get a set of those :)

do i need to make a bracket to lower the tie bars? im aware of the effect of doing this :)

Ben (lurk75)
17-07-03, 01:25 PM
not too soft they wear out in 5 mins

if i see toyo proxys back on mytyres for a good price i will get a set of those :)

A complete contradiciton!

I wiped my proxes out in a few weeks they are way to soft for cornering on.

Dicko
17-07-03, 01:38 PM
yup toyos are softer than average, but i was saying id prefer not to use softer tyres but will get toyos if thats the only way to go..

Dave_Hay
17-07-03, 11:00 PM
www.larkspeed.co.uk

koni adjustables for ?325

imo gr8 suspension for road use...

springs are pretty shit though. an awful lot of travel in them :?

i got em on my corsa set stuff at back and medium setting on front and it handles really well.

mowgli
17-07-03, 11:14 PM
solid rack mounts and new front top mounts will help.
getting a decent place to do a full alignment check will help a lot (avoid fastfit places and try the larger independant body repair shops)
check the steering joints for play
try different tyre pressures.

Stuart
17-07-03, 11:21 PM
the lowerd tiebar mounts that cp, chris t and poss otehrs have fitted cost about ?130 i think (cant make them for much less really lol)

erm rally design for the poly bushes since you can get a full nova set for the price of a pair of bushes from powerflex

renew the bottom ball joint (of if poss go for a rosejoint but they are pricy and a bit of an art to get the right one).

as for the rest its down to the shocks and springs.

you could try gazshocks.co.uk (i think)

brian
18-07-03, 12:05 AM
i got 6 months out of Pirelli P zero's on the 17's on my GTE years back. they cost 150 each and i was only a young lad!!!!!!! :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
18-07-03, 09:12 AM
Get a Pilbeam Lower tie bar, Iain sells brand new ones on www.motorsportdirect.co.uk You wont get a better one anywhere :!:

ade
18-07-03, 11:54 AM
dicko - what camber mod did you go for? the one Micky posted wher you drill 2 new holes in the strut top or the one where you file the bolt holes?

I'm getting bad inner wear and need to sort it.

(sorry cant offere any advice ref suspension - I use Gmax and find to be ok for what I use it for)

Ade

Dicko
18-07-03, 12:02 PM
yup i did the micky mod and its working well.

i got terible wear on my last tyres. i thoiught i had loadsof tread left til i went for my MOT and it fialed, i was like wtf, so check it properly and the inner was like down to the metal wire stuff :o

i moved my tops out 8mm each by using a dremel with a high speed metal cutter, but u could just use a good round file if you wanted.

get a ruler, draw an outline of where u need to chop/cut, undo the 2 13mm nuts and jack up the car, the strut will drop on it own giving you room to get ur tool in ;) ooo er hehe

he said about welding a washr on but iv never done this and its been ok, might do that at some point mind