PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing like a baby Kangaroo

windfreek
06-01-12, 12:40 AM
So here's my issue, I've been living with it for a while now, on certain sections of road (country lanes) at speed, my front suspension will start to bounce with the contour of the road, I've recently made some almost solid mounts for my 1.7TD lump and assume that this is what is causing it to bounce more.

My questions are, is the springs for the loon the same as the van ones as I think the spax 40mm springs I have atm arnt stiffer, just lower

I would try to change back but alas have got rid of the old standard springs ages ago so was wondering if the standard van springs are stiffer than other standard nova ones and are the van ones the same as loon ones as that's what I heard ages ago but was never sure just thought I'd ask before trying to get some others in. Or should I just get some Bilstien shocks and springs to get my clearance back up again?

Will F
06-01-12, 08:43 AM
Get some decent shocks - sounds like yours are gubbed.

mowgli
06-01-12, 10:20 AM
Agreed

windfreek
06-01-12, 01:37 PM
that was my first thought.... but it just passed its MOT with them on and it only happens on one part of one country lane so far

mowgli
06-01-12, 02:19 PM
i once steamcleaned & painted a set of totally knackered shockers to pass an mot....

they only check for rust & leaks, the actual workings aren't tested..

its hitting a certain frequency & compounding it... try driving way faster or slower on the same road....lol

seriously, it could be the spring rates out from front to back or dampers starting to fail

Will F
06-01-12, 02:29 PM
If you have lowered springs - you need uprated shocks.
Just think how old and shonky the shocks are anyway - let alone when you put more pressure on them!

Jack
06-01-12, 02:36 PM
I'd say worn dampers coupled with lowered springs, my Cav floats around the same way.

Springs are all the same across the range btw, or do you mean the spring rates/stiffness on standard springs? Saloon ones will be the same as hatch springs; van ones may be slightly stiffer to compensate for the fact its designed to carry load? Not sure on that though.

Nobby
08-01-12, 05:49 PM
I'd say worn dampers coupled with lowered springs, my Cav floats around the same way.

definently, like being on chopped springs bouncy bouncy

Lewis.
08-01-12, 06:39 PM
they only check for rust & leaks, the actual workings aren't tested.

The operation of the shock absorbers has always been tested, by bouncing each corner of the vehicle. In fact, when you log onto certain vehicles, like a Lotus Elise for example, it says on the VT40 that you can't bounce it as the body is too weak to push on lol
It's only now with the recent update that they have removed the 'bounce test'. you're still meant to test from underneath though, by pulling down on something, which imo is a much better way of testing.

mowgli
08-01-12, 06:59 PM
The operation of the shock absorbers has always been tested, by bouncing each corner of the vehicle. In fact, when you log onto certain vehicles, like a Lotus Elise for example, it says on the VT40 that you can't bounce it as the body is too weak to push on lol
It's only now with the recent update that they have removed the 'bounce test'. you're still meant to test from underneath though, by pulling down on something, which imo is a much better way of testing.
i've been taking stuff for mot since the late 80s and i have never seen anyone do a bounce test on any vehicle i've taken, ever.... i've had rows with testers in the bay before now(using pozi-drive #1 screwdrivers to find holes in bodywork etc), but never had dampers tested....

blue_peg_16v
08-01-12, 08:35 PM
My saloon used to get bounce tested but was that stiff it hardly moved lol

windfreek
11-01-12, 01:39 PM
i've had rows with testers in the bay before now(using pozi-drive #1 screwdrivers to find holes in bodywork etc)

prey tell, what is supposed to be the substitute tool of choice for a rustometer, also what are they supposed to actually use??

on another note, ive solved the bouncing issue, a few months back i fitted a polybush kit and today whilst i was looking at the dampers etc this morn i noticed that i'd put one of the bumpstops on upside down, not that i thought it would make any difference but i turned it around, so ive just come back from trying it and the weird bounce has now gone.... unless id inadvertently "free'd" up one of the dampers in the process??

oh well its all good now

mowgli
11-01-12, 04:22 PM
Re the mot... I have a friend who used to have a mk2 cav. The tester punched a hole in the lh sill, i welded it up & it went for retest... Bugger me it came back with a hole in the previously passed rh sill.... So having fixed that, i went to the re-retest armed with a small screwdriver and threatened to test the testers car

pie
11-01-12, 04:26 PM
sound like fooked shocks buddy

f lol at jack

Lewis.
11-01-12, 08:41 PM
i've been taking stuff for mot since the late 80s and i have never seen anyone do a bounce test on any vehicle i've taken, ever.... i've had rows with testers in the bay before now(using pozi-drive #1 screwdrivers to find holes in bodywork etc), but never had dampers tested....

well whether you've seen it or not, it's part of the test

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/hay_lewis_68/Untitled-6.jpg

prey tell, what is supposed to be the substitute tool of choice for a rustometer, also what are they supposed to actually use??

the approved tool is this:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Artwork/ProdZoom/SEAH1MOT.jpg

small hammer, plastic head, aluminium shaft, amd it's about that size /\
you're meant to tap the sill for example, and listen to the change in the note. not jab it through said sill lol

mowgli
11-01-12, 09:27 PM
i know its part of the test, but i've still never seen it done & i always watch the test...