PDA

View Full Version : mowgli's new year technical challenge...

mowgli
05-01-12, 09:39 PM
anyone who was hanging round at billing '2011 on the sunday late afternoon might remember why i was late turning up...i'd been competing in a soap box race in hinckley...
in my wheelie bin.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/mowglinova/12.jpg
if you think it is a tad rough, it was made in 2 hrs flat, and it beat a lot of better looking carts.

so, this years rules have been published..i can now use a 3 wheel design if needed..

anyone want to help out on the design, oh, i'm still planning on using the wheelie bin if i can.....

L14MNP
05-01-12, 09:51 PM
Do the organisers advocate the use of stolen property then? :(

mowgli
05-01-12, 09:54 PM
well, as i took my place at the start line, the mayor & my local councillor were stood there, i asked them if it was ok. they said yes it was, so i think its ok...

Connor
05-01-12, 09:55 PM
I could whip something up on CAD maybe ;) lol

_Jake
05-01-12, 09:56 PM
Bolt the bin to a nova rear beam lol

mowgli
05-01-12, 09:57 PM
i have one, but the rules call for decent brakes......

L14MNP
05-01-12, 09:57 PM
Bolt the bin to a nova rear beam lol
some people dont even consider them.worthy of a nova, so its not fair fitting one to a bin lol.

Connor
05-01-12, 09:58 PM
You got the diamensions (or rough at least) of the wheelie bin in question?

mowgli
05-01-12, 10:00 PM
I could whip something up on CAD maybe ;) lol
CAD!!!!! its a bin for god's sake.....

i have a couple of small mountain bikes (suspension type) and was thinking of basing the running gear around them.. i think the rear could be a single wheel, as it will help with tracking etc... the front might be more fun though... i have a kettler cart steering setup, so can manage 2 steering fronts, but as i have to have 2 front brakes, i still have to mount front forks onto it.

mowgli
05-01-12, 10:01 PM
You got the diamensions (or rough at least) of the wheelie bin in question?

its a wheelie bin, look up your street, they are the same. it can be no more than 2300mm long or 1180mm wide.

Connor
05-01-12, 10:09 PM
You wanting to run single speed, wouldnt a bmx running gear be easier to use. or maybe a mtb rear wheel with a single speed converter disc hub, so the rear disc brake could be used, as for front, no idea lol

John
05-01-12, 10:10 PM
Mike i have some old mobility scooter front axles here if req'd.

db_1.2
05-01-12, 10:12 PM
Negative camber, lots of it - that's my input :)

Edit - also, looking at your previous car. I think it's best for a medium diameter, skinny wheel iirc

Paul
05-01-12, 10:23 PM
Front single wheel, road racer forks etc, easy to sort steering brakes etc. loads of +ve castor. Rear wheels, road racer/bmx style with -ve camber.

ocdstigy
05-01-12, 11:40 PM
put a vauxhall badge on a wheelie bin,it will pass for a nova!

turbojolt
06-01-12, 12:03 AM
That is class lol well done Mr mowgli

mowgli
06-01-12, 08:02 AM
You wanting to run single speed, wouldnt a bmx running gear be easier to use. or maybe a mtb rear wheel with a single speed converter disc hub, so the rear disc brake could be used, as for front, no idea lol

forgot to mention, its like a bobsleigh, 2 people push start it, and then gravity & friction do the rest

mowgli
06-01-12, 08:04 AM
Front single wheel, road racer forks etc, easy to sort steering brakes etc. loads of +ve castor. Rear wheels, road racer/bmx style with -ve camber.

last year there was a chicane.. its all about centre of gravity, there were trikes entered last year, with dodgy added on wheels to make them pass the scrutineering, including a bath with honda c50 bits.....

Southie
06-01-12, 08:14 AM
Maybe a tad excessive but found this Mowgli RACEME (http://forum1.aimoo.com/MISFITS/General-Discussion/The-Weekend-Warrior-Chonicles-1-1763287.html)

It may help with some design for steering and braking components though.
(http://forum1.aimoo.com/MISFITS/General-Discussion/The-Weekend-Warrior-Chonicles-1-1763287.html)

mowgli
06-01-12, 08:25 AM
the hinckley 2011 winner was made of wood, and had lever steering... and a college brought a proper gravity race, all wishbones & racing chassis & it wasn't very quick over the 300 odd yds of this course.

after last year, i also need to include a serious push bar for the start.

24sevenslacker
06-01-12, 02:53 PM
i wanna make one of these, four wheels, mountain bike hubs, bmx rims and spokes, four mountain bike brakes, individual suspension with fox air shocks with adjustable rebound and some slick bmx tyres, it would be ace

mowgli
06-01-12, 03:03 PM
/\ get it done.. gravity racing is getting quite big...the hinckley one is just a right good laugh...saying that, my eldest daughter was in the junior class, and we have a photo of her at the start line, and she had the racing driver look.. she was concentrating so hard. we got the biggest cheers for our entry, but this year is going to be a lot more serious.. i'm even thinking of getting a thinner bin & cutting it down.. my girls have mentioned fitting a different body for their goes...by the way, i have 2 daughters eligible this year....

24sevenslacker
06-01-12, 05:34 PM
i reckon you could build a decent one for quite cheap, well... about £350? lol

mowgli
06-01-12, 05:37 PM
my budget for last year was nearer £3.50.... i really did make it from scrap..

i have 2 maybe 3 mountain bikes available as donors, my main issue is with getting axle spindles strong enough to cope with steering, i'm even thinking of using a wheelchair as a donor for bits, but keep the front wheels non steering & rear steer it..

24sevenslacker
06-01-12, 05:44 PM
what about cannondales lefty fork, can you not find the axle from those on the internet and adapt them? they are one sided forks

edit: iv just realised they are fixed to the fork, marzochhi axles are strong, they should be easy to adapt too

mowgli
06-01-12, 05:54 PM
there is some big weight on a tiny spindle.

24sevenslacker
06-01-12, 05:56 PM
what about kiddies cycle forks? 2 pairs

mowgli
06-01-12, 05:58 PM
i'm tempted to use the 20" mtb ones i have..& top swivel them. the big thing people do is camber, cos apparently if you just put the wheels upright, they buckle.

24sevenslacker
06-01-12, 07:27 PM
yeah because bike wheels have no strength in that direction.

iv just priced up one to make with a good spec will cost around 700, ouch