PDA

View Full Version : May be a silly thing to ask, but..

Trivs_Tom
05-01-12, 08:35 PM
basically, i want to lower my nova, as it looks like its on stilts at the minute.
whats the best way to go about it?
the silly thing i'm asking is i can't just use springs on the standard shocks can i?
if it wont be too bad then itll save me a lot of money...

blue_peg_16v
05-01-12, 08:37 PM
You could but the shocks won't last long and let's face it there probably on there last legs anyway with the age of them, also steer clear of cheap coilovers I'd personally go for the best spring and damper kit you can afford

Nova_Tek
05-01-12, 08:46 PM
You can go coilover route - more expensive ones are deffo the best as cheap ones, as mentioned, will be utter crap and bone breaking. Or you can go quality springs & shocks route which will give good improvement over standard ride and handling and can be had for a reasonable price. Again steer clear of cheap stuff.

Brands like Bilstein, H&R, Eibach, Spax and the like are best choice. Anything up to 40mm lower you can use OE spec/original dampers (new is always best and is worth doing when doing springs) if you go lower more than 40mm it's best to use shortened/specific dampers otherwise standard ones will be knackered before long.

Connor
05-01-12, 08:47 PM
You can yes, and i have but i wouldnt advise it as the rides w4nk and it bounces all over the place lol.
For the price of a half decent spring/shock setup its worth going for that as springs are that cheap on there own

Trivs_Tom
05-01-12, 09:07 PM
really? i've been looking for suspension stuff, springs seem to be around £100, but spring/shocks and coilovers seem to be anywhere from £450 upwards...

Jack
05-01-12, 09:09 PM
Keep an eye out for second hand stuff, you should be able to pick up a good second hand complete Spax or Koni setup for under £200.

Calamity Josh
05-01-12, 09:13 PM
pm'd you tom