PDA

View Full Version : Insurance groups for cars..

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 08:32 PM
Anyone got a good link to a database???

Been on the thatcham site, but its a bloody faff TBH.

Looking to buy an Audi A3 SE (130 PD engine) 1.9 TDi, currently have a Vectra SXi 1.8....lol insurance will nearly double PM if we change LMFAO....

Southie
05-01-12, 08:34 PM
Does the Parker's site help at all?
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/car-insurance-groups/

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 08:35 PM
Not sure....come on, wheres you usual link???

EDIT: just been on there....

Ok, so my Vectra is group 19......so is a Focus RS. WTF???

Southie
05-01-12, 08:36 PM
Sorry I was in the middle of copying lol

Mike
05-01-12, 08:40 PM
Autotrader :)

Search similiar type of car for sale an theres a little drop down menu telling you MPG/RFL price/Ins group etc

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 08:46 PM
My Vectra is group 11 on there....the Audi group 13. Why the difference in price??? Thats what naffs me off. £20, £30 fair enough but nearly twice what i pay now.??!!

Stuart
05-01-12, 08:50 PM
It's all about risk/claim history for a given car.
Groups got moved to 40 recently to help with the plethora of mild warmth cars that got grouped with hyper cars

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 08:52 PM
Fair enough...but as i say, the difference in price is just crazy.

My search for a new car just got alot harder as i now have to check the insurance groups. Maybe i should just pay for a company Honda after all lol

Jack
05-01-12, 08:53 PM
50, according to Thatcham.

The RS you looked at is probably still listed on the old 1-20 scale, hence so high. Thatcham is the only complete one I know of, although its annoying they've removed all the old groupings now

Audi will of course be way more than the Vectra, servicing and parts are probably double as is the market value. Its also more desirable. Are you changing car mid-policy?

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 09:02 PM
Aye, changing mid policy. Didnt intend to, but a car came up stupidly cheap. The misses rang up to get a quote...and here we are lol

Mike
05-01-12, 09:07 PM
Audi costs twice as much repair when/if you prang it though.

Also they all look pretty similiar (Derv to performance petrol, only giveaway is a downturned exhaust really unless your in the know) so car key burglary etc etc.

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 09:08 PM
Kind of knew this, but didnt think it would affect the insurance this much TBH. Wow!!

Hmmm, nice mundano/focus diesel then lol

Mike
05-01-12, 09:09 PM
Kind of knew this, but didnt think it would affect the insurance this much TBH. Wow!!

Hmmm, nice mundano/focus diesel then lol

But on the other side of things, my new C is pish cheap to insure compared to my van. Same annual milage (makes no difference with Sky anyway) more power, top of the range model etc etc yet still cheaper lol lol

Jack
05-01-12, 09:10 PM
Derv to performance petrol, only giveaway is a downturned exhaust really
Straight out tailpipe FTW - I like to fart all my smoke right out the back and onto the windscreen of whoever is behind me lol

Pistol Pete
05-01-12, 09:11 PM
lol pushchair and baby seat would be cosy in one of them!!