PDA

View Full Version : e petition to get the free classic car tax reinstated on older vehicles

mowgli
05-01-12, 03:10 PM
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/183

Edd
05-01-12, 03:14 PM
Done

But what happens with these e petition things?

blue_peg_16v
05-01-12, 03:14 PM
Signed

blue_peg_16v
05-01-12, 03:15 PM
Done

If they get above a certain number of votes then the petition has to be debated in the house of commons

mowgli
05-01-12, 03:15 PM
Done

if it reaches 100000 names, then it must be debated in parliament

Edd
05-01-12, 03:22 PM
A bit like a eu referendum then .......:roll:

Hope they take it seriously, but motorists are prime targets for being shafted so I doubt anything positive will come of it :(

edit; 8000 posts of spam :d

mowgli
05-01-12, 03:24 PM
the spam filter is pretty vigorous....

Alex J
05-01-12, 03:24 PM
waste of time. never happen

Stuart
05-01-12, 03:50 PM
no they dont HAVE to be debated...

They must be put forward for consideration for debate. ie they can still ignore it but it makes the little people feel important lol

Jack
05-01-12, 03:59 PM
Hasn't this been considered recently already? And quite quickly got booted into touch lol

Andy
05-01-12, 04:29 PM
Oh this waste of bandwidth again.
I remember it gone done a while back.
Did it get spoke about??
Did it fukkery,at best it ended up in the xmas crackers at number 10 thats what.

steviegsi
05-01-12, 05:03 PM
Did it fukkery,at best it ended up in the xmas crackers at number 10 thats what.

Flol

16v Nova Kev
05-01-12, 05:32 PM
did it

L14MNP
05-01-12, 05:42 PM
Is this the same old petition that has been fcuked off about 10 times on Retro Rides?

Personally I don't want to have to adhere to certain rules etc concerning limited use as a 'historic vehicle' just to save a hundred quid or so a year. I'd rather be able to drive where and when I want. My car that qualifies for this is not a daily drive, but it's not the point imo.

There's a lot of people that run older cars as daily drives, it certainly won't appeal to them!

L14MNP
05-01-12, 05:43 PM
Just clicked the link - even though I knew I never had to - and yep, it is the same petition.

if your Nova or other classic is almost eligible for this, then think about what it would mean to your use of the vehicle.

SeanWR1
05-01-12, 06:33 PM
Signed! Hope it was worth it :)..

Jack
05-01-12, 06:40 PM
The guy who wrote the petition hasn't even got it right - it was a 25 year rolling thing, not 30 (they stopped it in 1997, just before my dad's Dolomite would have been eligible lol). Don't think I'd want to sign a petition from someone who has no idea what he's on about!

Personally I don't want to have to adhere to certain rules etc concerning limited use as a 'historic vehicle' just to save a hundred quid or so a year. I'd rather be able to drive where and when I want. My car that qualifies for this is not a daily drive, but it's not the point imo.
There weren't any restrictions on usage before though... Or is that your point; that uk.gov.plc would implement a range of annoyances?

L14MNP
05-01-12, 06:45 PM
There weren't any restrictions on usage before though... Or is that your point; that uk.gov.plc would implement a range of annoyances?

Yep, I have heard on more than a few occasions that if tax exempt status as reintroduced, then it would carry with it certain useage restrictions. For the good of the enivronment of course you understand(!) See the way matey words said petition too, just refers to occasional use cars. Yet all these on here who use them as daily drives have signed up... lol

Calamity Josh
05-01-12, 07:24 PM
Yep, I have heard on more than a few occasions that if tax exempt status as reintroduced, then it would carry with it certain useage restrictions. For the good of the enivronment of course you understand(!) See the way matey words said petition too, just refers to occasional use cars. Yet all these on here who use them as daily drives have signed up... lol

i've signed it at the end of the day how can they limit your usage on a classic car, just disconnect the spedo occasionally.

Stuart
05-01-12, 07:53 PM
i've signed it at the end of the day how can they limit your usage on a classic car, just disconnect the spedo occasionally.
With all the anpr about it would be very easy to track a rough mileage.

Andy
05-01-12, 07:55 PM
With all the anpr about it would be very easy to track a rough mileage.
I cant think how,what about 2nd hand clocks?

Stuart
05-01-12, 08:03 PM
I cant think how,what about 2nd hand clocks?
Really, you have that little imagination? Lol

A small mod to the legislation to store plates for longer and your journeys through anpr areas could be logged and added up etc with ease. Also best only pay for fuel in cash as if really wanted use of cars could be tracked via fuel payments lol

Andy
05-01-12, 09:30 PM
Really, you have that little imagination? Lol

A small mod to the legislation to store plates for longer and your journeys through anpr areas could be logged and added up etc with ease. Also best only pay for fuel in cash as if really wanted use of cars could be tracked via fuel payments lol
Oh aye,i could think of dozens more it was a tip of the sh1tpile example lol
Christ almighty.Big brother is watching you or what!,imagine a letter from the feds lol "Dear Mr Andy,it appears you have bought £769 worth of fuel and only covered 200miles-Yours Sincerely-N.Yorks Police X"

"To the feds-its crap on juice,with love,Andrew xxxxxx" lol

Jack
05-01-12, 09:36 PM
To be fair, you can't really track cars on fuel usage alone. Whats to say I drive 5 miles to the petrol station, drive 5 miles back then do 200 miles on private land where my road-going insurance doesn't apply so technically shouldn't count towards my annual total?

A similar point was raised on CCUK a while back but in the context of limited mileage policies - what happens if I cover my 3,000 miles limit on the road, then 2,000 miles on track? Or what happens if someone else with 'drive any car' policy drives my car for 500 miles? I'm then showing 5,500 miles when my policy says I'm only allowed 3,000.

I think it would take a lot to track every car (or even just a few tens of thousands) via ANPR - its bad enough the police only tracing a handful of cars now lol Mind you, I wouldn't mind that so much as there's fcuk all ANPR down in the wild westcountry lol

mowgli
05-01-12, 09:42 PM
they have it, its just called ANP,ooooh,R

marc69
05-01-12, 10:00 PM
I signed it, worth a try anyway.

I have used 2 cars that are exempt, although it is not a big saving it means that the cars are officially historic and get cheaper historic insurance (under £100). This has encouraged me to use these as second cars as the costs are so low, also it means they are kept in good nck thus preserving older vehicles.

If I were to use one as my everyday car and the legislation said I had to pay tax for my first car, fair enough.