PDA

View Full Version : RAMPIPES?

Gazza14SR
16-07-03, 11:04 PM
I've been told i need these for my twin40s that are bolted inside the airfilters.

I have never heard of these can someone explain?

Thanks

locky
17-07-03, 04:50 PM
I dont think its essential 2 fit a ram pipe, but it prob helps!
Basically its an aluminium pipp that goes from the front of the car 2 the carbs/air filter, all it does is sends the air whilst driving thru the pipe, and towards the carbs/filter!
Alot of people fit a monterey or trooper scoop into the bonnet, i think this would be a better option than a ram pipe, especially for a set of twins!

Stuart
17-07-03, 07:20 PM
slightly the wrong idea locky lol

they are short pipes with fluted ends, they come in varying lengths depending on how you wish to tune the air pulses.

they bolt onto the carbs and then go into the filter/airbox,

simple as that

short ones allow power to occur at high RPM
long ones allow torque to occur at a lower RPM

find a happy balance and away you go

locky
17-07-03, 09:18 PM
I was thinking of the bodge it n scarper flu tubing from a plumbers lol
I 4got you can get proper ram pipes with the fluted ends! ther anodised alu aint they!
Didnt realise they bolted onto the carbs, i just thought they went in the direction of the carbs!

Gazza14SR
17-07-03, 09:49 PM
are they essentioal? ie, make performance better?

Stuart
17-07-03, 10:22 PM
they tidy up the airflow into the carb, and therfore makes them operate more effectively.

they arent expensive to get.

i wouldnt run without them (if i had carbs or TB's lol)

mikeoxford
17-07-03, 11:44 PM
slim jims car wouldnt run wihtout them :lol: no offence - he will tell u himself, but he bought new airfilters for hs rampipes AKA trumpets, and fitted the airfilters and not the rampipes

lets just say it didnt work

Gazza14SR
18-07-03, 12:16 AM
my car runs fine without'em, i have 2 k&ns on the carbs.

if the rampipes give the car more power i will put them on and also if it helps the carbs internally wise i will also.

will they do either of these?

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 12:23 AM
:o

u shud try fitting them

you WILL notice a difrence

what jets are in the carbs? what engine and what cam?

(to advise u on length to go for)

Gazza14SR
18-07-03, 12:41 AM
unsure of jets, 1400sr standard cam

MC
18-07-03, 01:09 PM
You're probably robbing yourself of about 5bhp.

Air can flow round a bend quicker than a right angle. You'll get more air at a quicker speed with them fitted.

The reason Jims wouldn't run without them was that there was nothing holding his venturi's in!

Locky, you still seem a little confused. We're not talking ram air from the front of the car.

MC

Jim
18-07-03, 02:39 PM
slim jims car wouldnt run wihtout them :lol: no offence - he will tell u himself, but he bought new airfilters for hs rampipes AKA trumpets, and fitted the airfilters and not the rampipes

lets just say it didnt work

No Offence taken, I'm new to the mechanics side of things, if you don't try something, you don't learn :)

MC is correct, The reason why it wasn't working is because the Venturi's (one of them in particular) wasn't being held in place.

I use to run the car without filters, but to reduce the chance of any debris getting into the carbs I fitted some K&N Filters. I'll probbaly look at changing this though as the K&N Filters don't give you a lot of room at the back of the carbs.

Jim

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 04:18 PM
with regard to venturis holding in place

there is god knows how many design 40DCOEs

MANY revisions of the same carb!

it is only the very latter ones that have fixings on the bottom of the carbs (to my knowledge), that screw up and hold them in place.

my nova sport carbs dont have them just like yours jim - the 30mm choke has nothing on it! and is held in by the main venturi pushing against it, which is held by a tiny spring at the bottom, and then the trumpet. which bolted on sandwiches everything in

locky
18-07-03, 08:17 PM
We're not talking ram air from the front of the car.

Lol i was :oops: :?
Thats what i thought a ram pipe was!
We learn something new every day!

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 09:12 PM
We're not talking ram air from the front of the car.

Lol i was :oops: :?
Thats what i thought a ram pipe was!
We learn something new every day!

well let him off hes welsh :twisted:

oops :roll: so am i

locky
18-07-03, 09:33 PM
U kept that quiet mike!

mikeoxford
20-07-03, 12:34 AM
U kept that quiet mike!

:lol: need to know basis