PDA

View Full Version : cutting and rejoining a loom

Bubba
02-01-12, 11:12 PM
basically ive ballsed up. after welding my rear doors shut i realised my loom for the rear lights had to run through the door and rear arch. BUT the only way i can do this is to remove the bit the door locked on and this only leaves a hole about 14mm in diameter. so i either struggle and cut and hack up the hole or i cut the loom in half and rejoin it. whats the best way to do this?

would it be cut it, the resolder the wires and heat wrap them?

autoworksnovasport
02-01-12, 11:25 PM
why not get a hole saw and make the 14mm hole bigger??

shed-on-wheels
02-01-12, 11:29 PM
or just cut them bud

brainsnova
02-01-12, 11:48 PM
Solder and heat shrink is what I would do if there no way to re route it. Theres not that many wires anyways

bazil
03-01-12, 12:15 AM
Fook it, it's only lights lol,

Cut and rejoin, if you have the luxury of another loom then there no hassle really, oh and where do you stand on the whole, solder or not to solder debate ? I say splice, twist, heat shrink, not solder.

mowgli
03-01-12, 07:39 AM
you know scotchloks are perfect for this sort of thing.....lol

Stuart
03-01-12, 09:35 AM
Inline crimp joins... dont solder the sodding thing!

mowgli
03-01-12, 09:58 AM
STU. i've noticed that recently the tide of opinion has turned away from the solder. is this cos of the new style thin strand crappy cables that are about now?
i only ask cos i have never had any bother with soldering up the old style large strand cables.

Stuart
03-01-12, 10:14 AM
thinner/lighter/higher current capable cables (modern if you like) suffer more when the solder wicks up the inside of the cable/insulation and causes a sharp stress point which with vibration can cause a snap.

I solder some parts of harnesses at work when we 'have' to but thats left with a massive amount of slack and we know it will be changed/replaced within 3 months anyway. Crimping is king, cold weld :)

mowgli
03-01-12, 10:23 AM
Most car bar lucar type thingys are effing terrible quality though.....

Stuart
03-01-12, 10:32 AM
They are built to price and a harness is almost the most expensive part of a car to replace, so they will be made properly for about a 10 insertion life span.... constant plugging/unplugging will destroy most connectors etc.

brainsnova
03-01-12, 10:38 AM
So soldering a nova is king as the harness is thick enough lol

Stuart
03-01-12, 10:52 AM
I wouldnt, but hey lol

windfreek
06-01-12, 12:49 AM
So soldering a nova is king as the harness is thick enough lol

Save on solder, Twist and tape it's the way forward!