PDA

View Full Version : water air lock

jonn
02-01-12, 09:09 PM
right i have my mid engined nova plumed up and i am having problems with air locks which i expected.

whats the best way to try and remove an air lock?

the radiator is mounted in the front of the car and i have the thermostat removed.

i only have 1 pipe coming out of the water bottle to the engine. do i have to use one of the ones i blanked off for a breather pipe?

also the fan is no kicking in because the water is not hot enough in the radiator or maybe the air lock is causing this problem aswell. i tried another switch in the radiator and still had the same problem.

the water in the engine was reading near 100°c

i think that the water will always be cooler near the radiator because of the distance from the engine so i might have to try and get a cooler switch.

i am going to replace the plastic water pipe with a steel one with out the matrix

here is a older picture of the tank and where i have blanked off the 2 on the top
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/SAM_1885.jpg

Benn
02-01-12, 09:14 PM
I'd fit a stat to start on, can you have a bleed at the front? As with a stat in it, you can then bleed the engine like normal...

mowgli
02-01-12, 09:18 PM
i take it the pipework is the right way round to the rad.

can't you just undo a pipe clip off the rad & bleed it thru.

does the rad have a pipe fitting for the small pipe to the expn tank (as in the original setup)?

if so, can you put a small tap on it to release air?

jonn
02-01-12, 09:27 PM
i might try it with the stat back in and see what happens.

the pipe work is it the right way.

i tried undoing the clip but only water comes out no air.

i am using a vectra b radiator which has a small pipe on the top which i have blanked. i might try and see if i can get a small valve and fit it there to try and bleed it.

michael harbour
02-01-12, 09:33 PM
hi. i would fill rad separate.