PDA

View Full Version : Went to Machine Mart earlier

L14MNP
02-01-12, 01:55 PM
Got myself some much needed stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ManorQuay/20120102_133950.jpg

Slide hammer, always wanted/needed one. I have a valid excuse now though as I need to pull out the top of my Volvo's rear panel, after I removed the lower section and then made a hash of the top part. lol

4.5" grinder to replace my now deceased 20+ year old Bosch unit. The Bosch was 900w, and very rarely stopped when pressing on with wire cups etc so I wanted another 900w to replace it. I have looked around for a weeks, and most of this power are £50-£90. This Clarke (with 2 year guarantee) was £24, and it gets very good reviews, isn't very heavy or large. Score! - Hopefully.

Hammer and dolly set. Self explanatory. I have been using a large dolly and large metal working hammer and enjoyed good results so far, so hopefully some more precise equipment will do the job in the intricate areas too.

I also got a Dremel accesory set (hate buying genuine examples of these!) I bought a new Dremel (proper one) before xmas as the chuck broke in my awesome old no-make thing and the flexible shaft was broken by a mate. I bought it to allow me to access awkward/smaller areas on the shell (scuttle corner/lower A pillar) and have had success with the normal cutting discs I had left over, Powercraft I think. Dremel sell proper reinforced jobs for cutting steel though, and they are meant to be much better, but at £15 for 3 I wasn't about to try. :|

Anyway, £20 for a 100 piece accesory set, which includes 3 of these Speec Clic disks and the arbor. Can't be bad.

After dinner I shall make some noise and see what's what. :thumb:

Mieran
02-01-12, 02:13 PM
I'm going there now, vat free day ftw

brainsnova
02-01-12, 02:14 PM
Looks like a nice selection of tools to make some noise with :thumb:

16v Nova Kev
02-01-12, 02:17 PM
we have that slide hammer in work and its abit to small to be of much use tbh.

L14MNP
02-01-12, 02:24 PM
we have that slide hammer in work and its abit to small to be of much use tbh.

Damn. lol It may do me though? As long as it can pull out what I need and maybe do the Pugs torsion bar I will be happy.
TBH I was after a different (possibly larger) one they have online, in a case.

Mieran, VAT free wasn't expected, so it was a nice surprise. :)

MK999
02-01-12, 02:26 PM
you normally need an invitation/voucher type thing to get the VAT free deal, at least you did last time I got offered it a few years ago lol

L14MNP
02-01-12, 02:30 PM
you normally need an invitation/voucher type thing to get the VAT free deal, at least you did last time I got offered it a few years ago lol

I just read on Moneysavingexpert that Sunday's are all VAT free?

16v Nova Kev
02-01-12, 02:30 PM
might be ok for the pug torsion bar.but for body work might be abit girly.post some pics of what your trying to fix?

this is the one i use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T674112-TRIDENT-SLIDE-HAMMER-SET-12lb-KNOCKER-SET-/310176563796?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4837f6c254.

Benn
02-01-12, 03:50 PM
I just read on Moneysavingexpert that Sunday's are all VAT free?

Some are, some arnt. My local lets you in, but you only get Vat off if you have the card(not all Sundays are vat off too).. Which i did.

Got a nice new 151te mig welder here.

The hammer and dolly set is a very nice one, i have it too.

Balley
02-01-12, 04:33 PM
I have both the grinder and the hammer and dolly set and as you might know from lucking atm my project thread they get a lot of use and haven't faulted.. I even dropped the grinder in a bucket of water and it didn't bother it :)..

Iain
02-01-12, 04:36 PM
I have an invite for this weekend, minimum spend is now £50 tho and I don't think there's anything big I need :(

Nice selection of goodies you have there though Liam