PDA

View Full Version : exhaust sensor removal

richi
02-01-12, 11:25 AM
The sensor underneth the car that's in the exhaust might be called a lamba sensor how does it come out, do you pull it or is it the big nut that won't budge lol

Phil_d
02-01-12, 11:28 AM
They screw out mate, usually i undo the multi-plug to stop the wires twisting and then just undo it with a spanner, if its too tight and as spanner feels like its going to round the nut off you can get special lambda sockets, there like normal sockets but with cut outs for the wiring.

Nobby
02-01-12, 12:15 PM
^^what he said, usually a 22mm spanner but ideally i would get the car hot 1st so it might come out easier with the spanner or proper socket if not lots of heat and a big pair of molegrips!

swedge
02-01-12, 02:08 PM
run the car up to temp first then undo it

bazil
02-01-12, 02:24 PM
Use oven gloves if you are scared of burning your fingers lol

I've done it :)

richi
02-01-12, 05:00 PM
The exhaust and manifold are all off and lying under the car so no heating up, or is it worth blow torching it? Will get the 22 out on though

swedge
02-01-12, 05:14 PM
yeah get the blow torch onto it, its not as if youll damage it with the heat or anything

get a bit heavy mate to stand on the manifold too and use a scaffolding pole or something for leverage, they are a **** to get out but they do eventually

richi
02-01-12, 07:23 PM
O just re read all the comment all I need is to get the exhaust away from the car so can you just pull the connector that has the cables out? Or does it need screwing out, been pulling it but it won't budge

Pistol Pete
02-01-12, 07:28 PM
The sensor itself screws into a boss. Or trace the cables back and unplug it from the loom?

richi
02-01-12, 07:30 PM
O so it screws in will get grips on it then and try and unscrew it been trying to trace the wires to where they go back to just can't see where they go

Pistol Pete
02-01-12, 07:34 PM
What engine?? If its an XE it connects just by the bulkhead grommet. My C14SE and a single pin connector (light green wire) near the inlet manifold IIRC.

The sensor will be F'ing tight. Heat and force will be order of the day!

Phil_d
02-01-12, 07:37 PM
If you can follow the wires there will be a multi-plug, id try my hardest to find that before struggling with un-doing the sensor itself.

richi
02-01-12, 08:09 PM
Yeah it is an xe so I will have a look near the grommit, Right that's the battle plan, will have another look for the connector cheers lads

richi
02-01-12, 08:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, its the dizzy type xe, I also thought it didn't need the sensor there, I traced the wires back and there just on a connector not pluged into anything, that right?

brainsnova
02-01-12, 08:23 PM
Early xe's etc never had one

Pistol Pete
02-01-12, 08:26 PM
Dizzy types have them. As mine has one. I had to rewire it after modding my manifold.

Its on a 3 pin plug. White, black and white/black wires IIRC??

richi
02-01-12, 08:52 PM
Yeah found the connector it was not connected to anything and hidden behind the strut brace, how do you know if your dizzy engine needs one then? Some do and some don't?

Pistol Pete
02-01-12, 09:17 PM
If its on the loom, it obviously needs it i guess!!

I dont know how you tell.