PDA

View Full Version : rear beam mod

craighawkins
31-12-11, 01:42 PM
seen on a few threads about a rear beam mod 1 including the rear callipers being mounted on top of the disk. . .
what is this mod is it to make it lower? and how is it done?
cheers

MK999
31-12-11, 01:44 PM
Novas don't have rear calipers and disks? They run drum brakes...

craighawkins
31-12-11, 01:49 PM
if you cant help why answer???

MK999
31-12-11, 01:52 PM
Same question to you, since that doesn't help my question at all.

Lets try again, what exactly are you asking, since your original question doesn't relate to a Nova, is it a different model of car you're asking about?

craighawkins
31-12-11, 01:57 PM
no its a nova with rear disc mod same as a hundred others on here.
all i wanted to know is about the lowered rear beam mod from someone who has done it

MARTIN KELSON
31-12-11, 01:58 PM
As we know there plenty of Novas running rear discs. :)

As for mounting caliper on the top instead of the side. Only seen a few with this setup.
Dont think there is any gain, i think its just what they have used to convert the rear beam to discs.
I want to say the ones top mounted are from a VW & the ones in conventional guise are obviously adapted Astra.

MK999
31-12-11, 02:01 PM
Well the rear disc mod isn't actually that common, and I've never seen one with the calipers on top of the disc, that's actually the worst position for them as it makes bleeding difficult. They're sometimes mounted on the absolute bottom on race cars as it improves the CoG, but again you have to take the calipers off and put them on a spare disc to bleed them.

You can theoretically make the car lower by mounting the discs, and therefore the wheel higher into the body than standard, but unless you're going lower than about 120mm down, when the beam starts to touch the wheel well, it's not gonna be of any advantage in getting the car lower.

MARTIN KELSON
31-12-11, 02:05 PM
I know where you drill/weld the plate on for discs you can lower that plate for the stub axle to bolt to which in effect lowers the car whilst still giving full suspension travel.

craighawkins
31-12-11, 02:07 PM
thanks for not helping.........
anyone else got usefull information

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee305/PNG_Features/2009_06/Big_Chap12.jpg

MARTIN KELSON
31-12-11, 02:10 PM
thanks for not helping.........
anyone else got usefull information

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee305/PNG_Features/2009_06/Big_Chap12.jpg

Thought i WAS helping!! :)

craighawkins
31-12-11, 02:13 PM
:)

chambers1984
31-12-11, 02:18 PM
its just a matter of finding the break calipers you want to fit and the getting the welder and grinder out mate nothing will bolt straight onto the nova beam. if u buy the complete beam of the car with the breaks you want then cut of the mounts and weld onto the nova beam.

MK999
31-12-11, 02:20 PM
Just a strange way of mounting the calipers and like I say makes bleeding them very difficult as you can get an air bubble trapped to one side away from the bleed nipple. It gives you full/better suspension travel but the full suspension travel on a Nova actually gives worse track change characteristics than it being lowered, I suppose it stops the beam banging the exhaust though if you're running softer springs.

swedge
31-12-11, 02:37 PM
dude listen to what people are saying, they are trying to help you

craighawkins
31-12-11, 04:19 PM
i have listened to the informative reply's
mk999 still hasnt provided any usefull information to original query
so as my 2nd post states if you cant help why answer
just to block up a thread where i actually was interested in how to do it

swedge
31-12-11, 04:21 PM
yes well have you read what people have said? have a search on the forum too there are several people with rear disk beams

craighawkins
31-12-11, 04:25 PM
dont think you have read this article correctly from post 1

Southie
31-12-11, 04:27 PM
Maybe something in this that may help.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?148491-STT-s-C20XE-Tb-d-Nova-Rally-Car&p=1877338&viewfull=1#post1877338

mowgli
31-12-11, 04:31 PM
i have listened to the informative reply's
mk999 still hasnt provided any usefull information to original query
so as my 2nd post states if you cant help why answer
just to block up a thread where i actually was interested in how to do it

the issue is this.. you want to lower the rear but keep the travel...

simply make up a mounting plate to move the hub 'higher up' and then beef it up well to stop the strain snapping it off

the suspension travel isn't the main issue here, its arch clearance that is. you can lower my mk1 hatch 60mm & with the wheels/tyres it has, it hits the inner arch on decent bumps.

what mk999 was trying to get at is that the top mounted calipers are not a common mod,

what size tyres are you running?

Graeme
31-12-11, 06:12 PM
The only car I have seen this on is Big chap's, the stub axel was mounted higher up from bottom of the beam to lower the car but retain the nsuspension travel and I'm not sure what the thinking was about mounting the caliper at the top as has been said previous would just make bleeding more difficult, hope this helps, how is the silky getting on btw?

craighawkins
01-01-12, 09:01 PM
poorly shell is borderline not worth it. got nearly all parts ready to do it but may end up a re shell
cant find time or effort to start repairing shell :(