PDA

View Full Version : single wiper conversions, mot.

marc69
31-12-11, 01:14 AM
My car has been converted to a single fiat uno wiper. The mot guy said it would fail the test as it doesn't park and the wip[er is too big.

I can't convert it back to standard as the panel in front of the battery has been removed by previous owners.

There are no Fiat unos around to get the motor off here so, is there another more recent car which uses the same motor for me to take the switch out?

I noticed that peugeots use a single wiper on the back which looks as though it makes a full 180 sweep, can this be put in instead?

Or are there bettter cars to user as a conversion?

Thanks

gaz w
31-12-11, 12:03 PM
people use citroen ax wiper motors, or just buy a storm single wiper linkage, i got 1 from venom motorsports for £80.25 posted.

John
31-12-11, 12:08 PM
The uno never failed the mot for having a single wiper did it? Iirc the only thing it can fail for is parking upright thus blocking screen view.

MARTIN KELSON
31-12-11, 02:13 PM
I run Uno setup & passed mot :)

Was a pig to wire up to get it to park, intermittent & full wipe constant.

If you have firewall still i would run std motor with a single wiper conversion. (got std bits & single wiper conv. in shed if your stuck!)

Jack
31-12-11, 03:54 PM
The uno never failed the mot for having a single wiper did it?
I used to have an old single wiper (factory fit!) Uno and yeah, it was fine for MOT. The wiper parks on the drivers side but very low, just like on a normal setup.

marc69
01-01-12, 02:47 AM
ok, thanks, mine doesn't always park, the tester said it would be a mot fail.

do i replace the plastic white bit on the motor which i assume deals with the park? if so, where and how much can they be got for?

the tester also said the wiper doesn't clear the lowest inch and half so I assume i'll just take a wiper off another car that is 1 and a half inches shorter.

dan23
01-01-12, 10:04 AM
i swear i ve seen the standard nova wiper motor fitted to either the uno or ax wiper linkage but cant remember who on here has done it
this would be a beter option as you can use the standard nova wiring an the wiper will park in the correct position

if you fit a wiper from another car that is 1.5 inch shorter them it may not cover the very top of the screen

dan23
01-01-12, 10:18 AM
have a look here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?176130-pictures-of-wiper-location-with-no-fire-wall-please&highlight=single+wiper

Benn
01-01-12, 01:15 PM
The nova motor will bolt straight on, i did it on mine. But the motor does affect the park or anything. And its only the A section ofnthe screen (top of steering wheel to start of tint on the drivers side then half the screen) that beeds to be clear and wipped clean of water) that needs to be sorted, wiper parking on the pass side isnt a fail. Unless you have a ott tester.

marc69
08-01-12, 01:57 PM
Thanks, I tired many options including the nova motor on the bulkhead with the nova mechanism adapted. My metalwork is no good so I decided I really neede to get something that almost just bolts on.

After a lot of brainsratching and several failed attempts, I managed to get a corsa mechanism to fit with skoda arms. with soome adapting it works and cleans the screen . The wiring is the same with the additional brown wire just needing to be earthed.

here it is in the bay

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/69marc/Photo297.jpg

It's not the prettiest and i still need to lengthen the washer pipe as it touches the mechanism but, it works.

It passed the mot but unfortunately a few other things did not pass......

Anyway, here's how it looks on the car.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/69marc/Photo296.jpg

Benn
08-01-12, 05:54 PM
Did you not have to cut it down? cause i did.

marc69
08-01-12, 08:26 PM
No, just bolted it in (improvised,) you'll see they do stick up higher than a novas but I twisted the wiper arms to get an angle that cleaned rather than scraped the screen!

I'm not bothered how it looks as it is for track use but, having nothing to tow with, an MOT is needed but one of the fails is welding which I can't do, at a crossroads....

Back to wipers though, I am considering taking one or two corsa mechanisms from the scrappy as I have had 3 novas which the bit on the passenger wiper that connects the driver linkage, has packed up and it's very expensive as i have only ever found them from vauxhall. I assume eventuallu vauxhall will stop providing them too.

Benn
08-01-12, 08:47 PM
I ment cut the main bars down? As the whole think is longer than the Nova one.

marc69
08-01-12, 09:05 PM
no, it is a perfect fit, from an early corsa (n reg I think)

or nearly perfect fit, there was bit of forcing!

Benn
08-01-12, 09:08 PM
Very strange as mines (3different Corsa linkages) are all about 10-15mm to long.

marc69
08-01-12, 09:12 PM
If I remeebr rightly, the length between the two wipers is about 27 cm?

I did havbe to remove the plastic trim under the window and bend things about as when the wipers are on, the mechanism was catching on bits

marc69
08-01-12, 09:29 PM
I am very confused though, i don't understand why yours was too long? The corsa B distance between the wipers is pretty much the same as a Nova when I measure them in the scrappy?

The angle etc is wrong, the corsa ones go straight up.

Benn
09-01-12, 07:58 AM
When i measured between the spindles it was longer on the Corsa.. So i had to cut mine down...

And yea the angle is wrong i've plaied about loads with that.