PDA

View Full Version : Tyre fitting training and kit?

Stuart
30-12-11, 05:07 PM
Anyone know how much ain't would cost to get trained in fitting tyres? I'm guessing some sort of formal training is needed for insurance purposes.

Also any idea how much a relatively modern tyre fitting machine and balancer costs?

Edd
30-12-11, 05:12 PM
you can get a NVQ in it, most places round here dont need you to have it tho

i was a Tyre fitter for a while, hardly much skill involved really

second hand tyre machines would be the best way forward, i looked into it a while ago, 500 would get you a decent one altho alot are 3 phase

balancing machines are more expensive tho, plus you need to have them calibrated ever few months to keep them sweet

there is loads on ebay

Stuart
30-12-11, 05:15 PM
I know/see no real challenge wit the task, but for somethings like liability insurance they like monkeys to be qualified in some manner.

3 phase isn't an issue, £500 seems good value and a sellable price to the boss :)

mowgli
30-12-11, 05:17 PM
well, a neck tattoo is essential round here!!

i was talking with a local bloke about the machinery etc, and you could get a decent setup for a grand. most people learn on the job.

apart from decent public liability cover, i can't imagine there is any formal training for it

brucer
30-12-11, 05:18 PM
thinking of a new career? lol

where i work there is no proper training, just showed along the way. some of the boys have done some extra training by the tyre manufacturers which give them nice certificates.

these people, http://www.auto4.co.uk/ , deal with them but arnt neccesarily the cheapest so ive heard.

never dealt with them myself as im in the workshop next door, havnt heard too many things bad.

Edd
30-12-11, 05:21 PM
well, a neck tattoo is essential round here!!

wtf has a neck tatoo got to do with fitting tyres ? :confused::tard:lol

Stuart
30-12-11, 05:21 PM
Well there is about 12 people in our office and that's a lot of tyres we go through, not to mention the test car fleet that need regular swaps which loses us the cars for weeks as they go back to the oem. I was thinking if we got the kit life would be easier and could save quite a lot of time and faff. Plus do all my tyres as freebies lol

mowgli
30-12-11, 05:29 PM
wtf has a neck tatoo got to do with fitting tyres ? :confused::tard:lol

it beats me, but all the local tyre fitters appear to have one...

they are the same muppets who think nothing of doing wheels up with a windy gun, so the hapless car owner has no hope of getting them off with a wheel brace.

John
30-12-11, 05:43 PM
Stu we had a brochure round at work from one of the tyre companies, full automated balancer and machine for up to 21" rims came in at about £1600 iirc. that was a full kit ready to go. Price could be bought down with a hand balancer ect. Can be picked up easily second hand :)

brucer
30-12-11, 05:46 PM
are any of them low low profile? some machines dont have the extra arms to hold the tyre down in the well, so think before you buy.

Stuart
30-12-11, 05:49 PM
are any of them low low profile? some machines dont have the extra arms to hold the tyre down in the well, so think before you buy.

Everything customer car related is low profile lol plus the bosses run cars with low profiles too.

Lewis.
30-12-11, 06:15 PM
You can get this sort, which are cheap and are fine for normal wheels with fairly baloony tyres but very difficult to fit large diameter low profile tyres with (although I did once bully a 245/35R18 on and off with one lol)
http://www.garageequipmentsales.co.uk/images/geg185.jpg

you wan't something like this for doing your sort of thing, which has the addition of the arms on the sides, for holding the beads down on stiff low profile tyres, and a tilt back post which is better for wider tyres compared to the swing away arms on the cheap one above
http://www.garageequipmentsales.co.uk/images/gegracing.jpg

as far as balancers go, the hand spin ones are fine. weights will get a little pricey, a box of knock on weights is about £10- £15 depending os weight, and when you go from 5g to 50g in 5g increments, it gets dear. plus you'll need self adhesive weights for the spoke side which are about £15 again.

John
30-12-11, 06:18 PM
yep if you're fitting low profiles you'll need the machine with the arms.

Stuart
30-12-11, 08:09 PM
Deffo need an army machine lol. Think 295/30/20's lmao

Then down to toy wheels like the clio and passat ;)

Lewis.
30-12-11, 08:14 PM
One of the bells and whistles machines like I posted will easily cater for those big rims and right down to mini wheels too.

Bubba
30-12-11, 08:18 PM
crowbar and some muscles lol

dont forget the compressor for it too

Novasport
30-12-11, 08:31 PM
Do you have vehicles with runflat tyres? 20 inch runflats give you a workout on even the best machines.

Edd
30-12-11, 08:40 PM
When I fitted run flats it was with a machine with extra arm, plus 3 of us with tyre levers lol

I used to dread new shape mini's showing up lol

Nobby
30-12-11, 08:56 PM
we have the one with the arms but i only like to use the 1 we fit 285/30/20s to our XFRs and XKRS lol however tyre fitting is a half decent trade to be in but unless you are making hard cash from it it WILL BECOME a chore i fuking hate doing tyres lol but luckily as im charged out at 130+vat an hour weve employed a numpty tyre fitter now, but its a damn good thing to have in the corner of the workshop saves you loads in puncture repair costs etc etc

Novasport
30-12-11, 08:57 PM
When I fitted run flats it was with a machine with extra arm, plus 3 of us with tyre levers lol

I used to dread new shape mini's showing up lol

Not the Mini's you need to worry about, its the X5 runflats!

mowgli
30-12-11, 08:59 PM
/\ my dad has runflats on his 530d, they are kept in the shed, as they handled craply... he bought a set off a breaker with normal tyres on.

floydy13
30-12-11, 09:00 PM
mmm 315 30 20 bridgestone run flat on the back of your X5, def need one with arms for those suckers!

adam c
30-12-11, 09:21 PM
At work we use one like this(but it has a wheel on a hydraulic arm at the side to help with the fitting):
http://www.peninsulagarageequipment.co.uk/tyre_changers_s100.php#
(sorry don't know how to link just the picture and on my phone :( )
It's good as the claws don't mark the inside of the wheel when clamping and with the hydraulic arm you can "roll" most tyres on just using that and not the head of the machines making it virtually impossible to mark the wheel as nothing is coming into contact with rim.