PDA

View Full Version : Nova alternator query

Stu-e
28-12-11, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone, wondering if you could help!

Alternator has gone on my nova 1.6 C16SE.

Was wondering if I have to be specific with the replacement part or if there are lots of alternative vauxhall alternators that are compatible in the hope I can find in a scrappy cheap!

The original spec is -

*TECHNICAL INFORMATION

VEHICLE MANUFACTURED DATE RANGE

9-1988 ~ 3-1993

PART NUMBER

FRA650

MORE INFO 1

1.6i

MORE INFO 2

~

MORE INFO 3

~

ENGINE CODE

C16SE,E16SE

ENGINE CC

1598cc

AMPS

70A

Application Advice=Suitable replacement for 65A OE types

Earth Terminal Thread Size=M5 stud

~

Nominal Voltage (V)=12

Number of Lugs=1

Output Current (A)=70

Pulley Diameter (mm)=66 or 70

Pulley to Front of Mount Distance (mm)=21

Pulley Type=V 9.5mm

Regulation Type=Internal

Terminal Configuration=B+ (M6), B- (M5), D+ (M5)

Warning Lamp Terminal Type=M5 stud

~

~

Will F
29-12-11, 10:20 AM
Any small block GM alt will fit. The only difference may be pulley diameter and/or spacing. These are interchangeable though with your old unit.
Get a later 16v item - they are much more reliable and have higher output and are generally quieter.

Hydey36
30-12-11, 10:58 AM
he is right that any small block alternator would bolt on but one thing i do know is that genuine, exchange alternators from vauxhall are not that much more expensive than non genuine ones from motor factors so you may as well try your local vauxhall dealer...... whats the point in going to a scrappy to waste time unbolting it and money to find out that one is shagged too!!

Stu-e
31-12-11, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I managed to find 1 in a scrappy as soon as I knew others would work, had a shelf full of them.

Agree it's a bit of a gamble but they only wanted £20 an to buy new was looking at £90+ so worth a shot I thought