PDA

View Full Version : 14" vs 15" front wheels for quarter mile?

Nobby
26-12-11, 10:18 PM
As above been offered a relatively as new cheap set of 185/60/14 r888s but i usually run 15" wheels on my nova. Will this really affect my times? I would of thought that the 14s will help with acceleration but loose it top end due to gearing compared to the 15" wheels? What you reckon ?

mowgli
26-12-11, 10:28 PM
in a nova, any nova in fact, small rims with big soft tyres will be the way to get decent 1/4 mile times, they have a huge start line footprint & as speed builds, they will push out centrifugally to give higher gearing

Nobby
26-12-11, 10:43 PM
push out centrifugally? lol

mowgli
26-12-11, 11:03 PM
you run the tyres soft for traction, but at higher speeds, the rotational speed makes them run at normal diameter..

this pic sort of explains it

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0810chp_mickey_thompson_drag_tires_tips/photo_02.html

Stuart
26-12-11, 11:07 PM
Only really of use if running wrinkle walls lol

Which ever you can get cheap slicks for.

Alex J
27-12-11, 09:59 AM
id use two space savers for ultimate traction..

mowgli
27-12-11, 10:16 AM
on the rear its not such a bad idea....

you need large contact area and hot soft rubber for start line traction, and probably work out how to get zero camber for the start..

Alex J
27-12-11, 10:21 AM
on the rear its not such a bad idea....

you need large contact area and hot soft rubber for start line traction, and probably work out how to get zero camber for the start..
use then on the front silly! lol, could do a complete quarter mile burnout!

mowgli
27-12-11, 10:35 AM
they wouldn't last for 1/4 mile, surely??? they'd be a hoot on snow, but not asphalt

Mieran
27-12-11, 11:35 AM
I thought the wider the more traction you get?

If you dont end up getting them tyres mate let me know mate I've been looking for some in that size.

mowgli
27-12-11, 11:47 AM
wider works up to a point.. then it becomes rolling resistance..

here is a fascinating drag racing series from the states..

http://www.fastraces.org/

they must use a legal stock tyre, with a maximum size of (approx as its imperial) 215mm on 6" rims.. they have to look & sound factory at tickover, but they are running into the 9s...

Stuart
27-12-11, 09:22 PM
Grip works ithe direction of force, so technically wider means nothing for drag racing. Smaller diameter means a longer contact patch for launch etc.... Of course that's all theory and isn't the case in most uses.

Bubba
27-12-11, 09:35 PM
wider works up to a point.. then it becomes rolling resistance..

here is a fascinating drag racing series from the states..

http://www.fastraces.org/

they must use a legal stock tyre, with a maximum size of (approx as its imperial) 215mm on 6" rims.. they have to look & sound factory at tickover, but they are running into the 9s...

how do they manage that with stock looking engines :o id have thought the exhaust manifold and carbs would have a totally different look

edit ok im reading the rules....my god they are some anal rules

mowgli
28-12-11, 02:01 PM
having watched it on tv, it is a brilliant sleeper class, they really have to look standard, so its down to details.. and they are also making big hp.