PDA

View Full Version : Poll... Weekend car? 20xe or V6.

Danb1987
25-12-11, 09:05 PM
As above the nova will be coming out of retirement soon as I'm getting a full conversion kit tomorrow :)

The car will be used on weekends maybe a few track days and the odd 1/4 it will be also going to Germany eventually.

List of all pros and cons of each engine please

The cars a mk1 saloon btw

Dan

Jack
25-12-11, 09:07 PM
How much work do you want to put in, and whats your budget?

If you have the money, 3.0 V6 would be my choice. Obviously lol

[Edit] i wouldnt bother with the 2.5 as the power and torque isnt really that much up on the 2.0, unless you get the cams and inlet in which case you may as well get the 3.0

chambers1984
25-12-11, 09:08 PM
think u should sell it back to me mate to put it back original. dont abuse it

Danb1987
25-12-11, 09:19 PM
I'm just thinking v6 is abit more special than an xe visually etc..

There isn't really a budget as such just doing bits as and when I get the time and the money lol

Daughter due late feb doesn't help the bank balance...

And chambers what nova have you had that's standard lol ;) there's still everything there to put it back apart from the engine mounts and exhaust.

Il be leaving all the interior intact and keeping it pretty much original bar the engine :)

chambers1984
25-12-11, 09:23 PM
i had the saloon std and have a std a reg at min lol just keep a toy aswell mate. no its your car mate just a shame to have to stich weld the engine bay with it having no rust. back to the poll thow xe for track day they take more stick and a little lighter. v6 seem to be getting sum ok times on the 1/4 at min thow for not much money.

Danb1987
25-12-11, 09:42 PM
The novas going to be my toy lol iv got a vr5 bora as a daily..

It's sat quietly in the garage for 9 months now so iv decided I want to do somthing with it. I'm thinking xe tbh but the prices for both engines are about the same at the moment.

I don't want to be cutting things apart and stuff hence the xe bar alt mod. I'd rather leave the bulk head and front panel complete.

Nobby
25-12-11, 10:15 PM
Depends what your after c25xes are less common than c20xes plus you will need to find a unimob ecu. I love my v6 would have it over a c20xe all day more driveable and quicker top end, however the V6 requires "alot" more work than the c20xe worst thing is exhaust and fitting the radiator and front pipes, also the front panel imo has to go to make it workable! Ive removed 2/3 of my firewall as it helps with cooling imo and getting at the rear manifold.

blue_peg_16v
25-12-11, 10:24 PM
If your on a budget I'd say v6 you can easily get a free engine with a v6 were as xe's are going up in price and are bloody old, you could pick a vectra v6 up for peanuts Paul was selling his Gsi recently for not alot easily get a Gsi with not TNT for £400, I broke mine recently and here's a list of what I got back kept engine and wheels
Front bumper £128
Seats £100
Steering wheel £82
Gear stick £21
Weighed shell in £174
If you went for a normal v6 Sri or CDs artic etc you would pick one up for £200 easy less power but less outlay too you will also have the v6 brakes to use too, and if it's a proper cat there's about £50 back there too

Iain
25-12-11, 10:29 PM
I'm sure you've talked of planned LETs, 1.6s etc at the MIG meets, please just do one! lol

Danb1987
26-12-11, 11:39 PM
Haha iain it's easier said than done lol iv had 9 cars this year lol the nova has been In the garage for nearly a year now :/ iv sold the Astra let.. Moved to vw but now want to go back to vauxhall ;)

The saloon will be done eventually I just want to make sure I make the right choice and dont waste silly amounts of money as it's a toy lol