PDA

View Full Version : welding help

Bubba
23-12-11, 06:46 PM
well its all going downhill lol

im using a sealey turbomig 2 with 0.6mm wire. the weld is perfect if i go a line on a panel, or on the 1mm steel sheet ive got. but when i try and seam them together the bootlid kind of...melts and i get holes :/ its on min on both settings and wire speed is about 5/10

would 0.8mm wire be better? ive got 2 reels of it but only found out i dont have the gun tip for .8 >.< needless to say im pissy now

autoworksnovasport
23-12-11, 06:51 PM
no should be fine try small welds insted of trying to do a run like spot welds overlaping

swedge
23-12-11, 07:01 PM
when i was welding my new sills on i had to sort of spot weld them with each weld slightly overlapping each other, you can also use a joggler which creates a lip in the metal so your actualy welding on top of the metal not just together which will help with blowing holes

pottersrebel
23-12-11, 07:04 PM
no should be fine try small welds insted of trying to do a run like spot welds overlapingi agree stick with the 0.6 bubba and just use small welds takes time but it the best way to weld body panels without blowing holes

swedge
23-12-11, 07:10 PM
i agree stick with the 0.6 bubba and just use small welds takes time but it the best way to weld body panels without blowing holes

and also stops anything warping

autoworksnovasport
23-12-11, 07:13 PM
and if you do make a hole just move an inch or so down the panel and come back to it when its cooled down dont try and weld the hole when its glowing

pottersrebel
23-12-11, 07:20 PM
i made that mistake first time i blew a hole it just kept getting bigger and bigger

swedge
23-12-11, 07:24 PM
i made that mistake first time i blew a hole it just kept getting bigger and bigger

lol i think we all have haha

Tim
23-12-11, 07:33 PM

i know that feeling lol

Danny s-p
23-12-11, 08:07 PM
i seen your face book update earlier and lol take your time bubba

pottersrebel
23-12-11, 08:40 PM
lol i think we all have haha
lol the other lesson i learnt was to always wear a hat, i religously wear a baseball cap and one day i decided well welding to take it off, BIG mistake the bald patch has just about gone lol

MK999
23-12-11, 08:45 PM
Are you welding on to 2 edges to try and join them? If so knock them together as much as possible, it helps the heat to spread, easier to burn through an edge than anything else.

Bubba
23-12-11, 09:11 PM
someone said get a tig not a mig. atm its just the holes from where the grab handle was on the bootlid. but theres a patch where the window bonds in that needs doing :/

MK999
23-12-11, 09:19 PM
filling holes is pretty difficult, as is tig welding properly lol

Bubba
23-12-11, 09:34 PM
best crack out the filler lol

MK999
23-12-11, 09:44 PM
just take it slowly, I find it easier to make a donut on top of the hole, and weld to that, and then weld the other side as well if you can, but it is messy and takes more grinding, just easier.

If you really want to cheat, flash off some mig wire onto a small disc, stick it through the back of the hole, hold onto the mig wire and tack/weld it into place. Obviously makes a water trap on the inside usually though.

Bubba
23-12-11, 09:48 PM
annoying thing is. i did a line along a random part of the panel and it was perfect lol nice weld both sides, its just when i get to the edge it burns holes. i can see my nova taking a looooooooooooooong time lol

MK999
23-12-11, 09:50 PM
heat only goes one way on an edge, so it heats twice as fast basically, much easier to blow a hole on an edge than it is anywhere else

Bubba
23-12-11, 09:54 PM
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/thin-metal.htm

this might help me :D

i want to go back into work now and try lmao.

MK999
24-12-11, 04:03 PM
There you go, Adipex P will sort out your welding, and it's available online from russia according to Mr MopInonoexpaf.