PDA

View Full Version : WTF is digital scalextric ??

bazil
22-12-11, 05:05 AM
I've only just seen these things on eBay advertising digital track and car etc, can I use my old cars on it? Do new cars work on old track ?

WHAT'S GOING ON ??

This has truly upset me :( I feel old and out of touch.

Hobbit
22-12-11, 05:12 AM
I think it means you can run more than one car down the same slot.

Southie
22-12-11, 07:34 AM
Have read Bazil and feel young again lol

Also introduced, in 2004, is Scalextric Sport Digital (SSD), in which up to 4 digital cars can be raced in a single slot. The cars can change from one slot to another using special slot-lane change tracks, the lane change or otherwise being controlled by a button on the throttle. Sport Digital cars should run on non-digital track unmodified, but standard analogue cars require a new circuit (digital chip) to be added to them before they can run on the digital system.[3]

Many of the original non digital Scalextric cars can be converted to operate on the digital system but not all, this is due mainly to insufficient space to install the necessary digital conversion chip. Performance of the converted classic cars on the digital system can vary, but enthusiasts have been able to successfully chip a wide range of cars, from Scalextric and also from other brands, to run on Scalextric Sport Digital.

As use of Scalextric Digital has increased, a community has established itself where users have developed enhanced powerbase functionality, fuel management and timing systems to increase the realism of the hobby.

A kit for converting Scalextric sport into Scalextric digital requires a digital power base; a transformer; lane changing track (to utilise the full benefits) and digital controllers.

To push Scalextric digital further into the 21st Century, Scalextric have released (Late 2010) a revised 6 Car digital powerbase, C7042. This powerbase includes a separate screen which aids set up and also displays race information such as lap times etc. Scalextric worked closely with its customers to make the product they wanted. The resulting product includes features such as yellow flag options for dealing with crashed cars, ghost cars to race against which can run and change lanes without a human controlling them, and the ability to race in analogue mode, for people who still have cars to race that are not digitally chipped.

Hobbit
22-12-11, 07:47 AM
So what i said without the help of Google :p

Southie
22-12-11, 08:00 AM
Slightly more in-depth answer though :p:p

EDIT: Anyway there's spam working it's way through the system, use your Hobbit skills lol

turbojolt
22-12-11, 01:08 PM
Forza 4? Lol

Bubba
22-12-11, 04:59 PM
BAH they have just ruined it...

brainsnova
22-12-11, 05:09 PM
2 cars worked on the same track when I was a kid

TeddyThom
24-12-11, 01:43 AM
2 cars worked on the same track when I was a kid
One always seemed to catch the other... Usually on a corner, rear end smash and both would flip off lol

brainsnova
24-12-11, 01:58 AM
^^^^ sounds about right lol was I the only one to lose a car on a bend and forget to put the controller down and rip the wires out lol

TeddyThom
24-12-11, 02:11 AM
^^^ Oh hell no. I did the same then threw the controller because I broke up half the track at the same time lollol

Tim
24-12-11, 07:01 AM
Just checked this shiz out on youtube. I need this in my life lol. Looks like good fun. Im surprised they havnt work out how to have wireless controllers yet.

The wire always pis sed me off lol.

joff-turbo-nova
27-12-11, 02:21 PM
I'm still on analogue at the moment as all my track is classic stuff - you can however get a converter track and marry sport and classic together.

Just need a 6 car digital power base and away we go !

Joff

PS See here :- http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?180922-A-very-Happy-Christmas-in-our-house!!!

Danny s-p
27-12-11, 02:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmcIcs-67Qk

in 20 second nut shell

bazil
27-12-11, 04:37 PM
I'm still on analogue at the moment as all my track is classic stuff - you can however get a converter track and marry sport and classic together.

Just need a 6 car digital power base and away we go !

Joff

PS See here :- http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?180922-A-very-Happy-Christmas-in-our-house!!!

Looks like I may upgrade then, most of my cars could be converted hopefully, pretty much they are all rally cars so should have enough space to install the chips

joff-turbo-nova
27-12-11, 06:01 PM
Looks like I may upgrade then, most of my cars could be converted hopefully, pretty much they are all rally cars so should have enough space to install the chips

Its the F1 and single seater type cars that struggle with space - they make 2 shapes of chip boards now -long and narrow ones that will fit in the side pods of F1 cars

Joff

Dayle_
30-12-11, 04:19 PM
Anyone remember tcr's total control racing. Now that's where it's at!!!

bazil
30-12-11, 06:23 PM
Anyone remember tcr's total control racing. Now that's where it's at!!!
I'll be back later with a reduculous photo of me later lol