PDA

View Full Version : Horrendous Misfire - 10S engine

Elstro1988
21-12-11, 06:06 PM
It's been ages and still having problems with my '89 1.0 OHV.

I had the plugs supposedly cleaned about a month ago and it seemed to briefly fix this and it ran like a dream. Now however it has developed the most horrendous misfire - running on 3 cylinders virtually, sounds like a loud lawnmower, vibrates like hell, still cutting out at idle, and the acceleration has taken a hit.

I have not seen blue smoke so I ruled out a blown piston ring. I replaced the HT leads as they were knackered but there's no change. The fanbelt also squeaks so it could be the alternator?

It had a major service in October 2010 - new plugs, CB points, dizzy cap, HT leads (since replaced), rotor arm, coil and rocker cover gasket.

I'm a bit choke-happy so wonder if the plugs have fouled again? Help!

Bubba
21-12-11, 06:14 PM
cracked head?

saloonwoody
21-12-11, 06:16 PM
id try a set of plugs anyway ? cant hurt !

Riggy
21-12-11, 06:24 PM
have you tried re-gaping the points , they can wear out pretty quick

Phil_d
21-12-11, 06:28 PM
My guess wuold be the points, happened to my loon, well the screw to lock the adjustment off slowly came undone so the misfire got slowly worse.

Elstro1988
21-12-11, 06:31 PM
It has happened gradually over time - started with slower idle...then progressed to stalling intermittently, and now it has developed into a full-blown one. So perhaps that could be the case?

It's also an absolute bitch to start - 2 or 3 turns to get the engine to fire. If it stalls for example or when getting petrol then it will start first time but cold starting is a pain as well.

Plug
12-07-12, 03:19 PM
points and condenser i would say

Southie
12-07-12, 03:22 PM
points and condenser i would say
I hope he/she has sorted this by now as its 7 months ago Plug lol

Plug
12-07-12, 03:44 PM
oops :( lol

not used the forum in a while better get back into things