PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding 1.4 8v do i need new bolts?

mr b
19-12-11, 09:47 PM
do the big end ,flyweel and main bearing bolts have to be renewed when rebuilding an engine if so wheres the best place to get them cheers

Andy
19-12-11, 09:51 PM
Its good practice to,but i wont be on my engine build.
Ive reused flywheel bolts hundreds of times at my old work and never had any bother.
If you insist on them,autovaux are the best.

mowgli
19-12-11, 09:53 PM
i'd say only head bolts need replacing, the rest can be reused

Andy
19-12-11, 09:54 PM
i'd say only head bolts need replacing, the rest can be reused
I agree.

Pistol Pete
19-12-11, 09:56 PM
So do I.

Mk1'SR'Dan
19-12-11, 10:00 PM
ive just rebuilt my 1300 with the same fly and big end cap bolts and its still all in one piece! i agree that head bolts are the only ones that definitely need to be done, they undergo the most linear stress... if your feeling particularly flush, get some ARP rod bolts, not cheap but nice to know your bottom end is nigh on indestructible... 35Nm instead of 25 does help!

Mk1'SR'Dan
19-12-11, 10:01 PM
there's a tattoo artist called Pistol Pete in Eastbourne...!

mowgli
19-12-11, 10:03 PM
to be completely honest, i've never heard of a conrod bolt letting go, be it standard or arp on a small engine.. i mean, something like a top fuel drag racer might kill the bolts, but all the big force is downwards & not on the bolts.. con rods usually fail before bolts do.

Andy
19-12-11, 10:04 PM
to be completely honest, i've never heard of a conrod bolt letting go, be it standard or arp on a small engine.. i mean, something like a top fuel drag racer might kill the bolts, but all the big force is downwards & not on the bolts.. con rods usually fail before bolts do.
This is something ive always pondered aswell,after all,the bolt is only as good as the thread its in imo.

Mk1'SR'Dan
19-12-11, 10:14 PM
very true, i have once blown 2 rods and it wasnt the bolts that failed, but has anyone tested OE vs ARP at 6800rpm upwards?!! (no limiter + redline abuse in mind!) i have it in good faith from a very reputable bloke that they are stronger than the OE ones... and with ARP's reputation, they must be doing something right... right?!!

Benn
19-12-11, 10:18 PM
I never re use flywheel bolts or head bolts. And wouldn't, i know a guy that reused head bolts and broke 3 doing them up. Flywheel bolts are 80p each (xe and let) and with what they do, i want them to be safe.

mowgli
19-12-11, 10:23 PM
i was brought up with big case-international diesel engines, and the flywheel bolts weren't much bigger than car ones, & the service manual basically said FT.. they also only recommended replacing things like banjo union bolts, cos they are inherently weak, and these engines had a life of over 12000hrs before rebuild.

Pistol Pete
19-12-11, 10:23 PM
there's a tattoo artist called Pistol Pete in Eastbourne...!

I may know of him. My mates brother lives in Eastbourne and im sure they have both had ink work by him lol