PDA

View Full Version : HEAD ?

tay
15-07-03, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know if there are any alterations that NEED to be made to a standard GTE head to make it run on Twin 40's? I'm not interested in getting it bored out etc at the mo but i just wanna make sure that they will run ok. Is anyone running a standard GTE head on carbs and if so what does yours run like and what sort of power you putting out ??

Cheers

mikeoxford
15-07-03, 10:39 PM
when you take off your injection manifold you will be left with a hole on one of the exhaust ports. u need to block this off by having it welded over, or tapping and drilling the hole before itghtenengin a bolt with loctite / seam sealer in it.

other than that

buy yourself a 1.6 twin carb manifold and ur in business

tay
19-07-03, 12:19 PM
What is this hole for ? What difference would it make if you didn't block it off then ?

I'm only asking cos all the engine is already in the car with the carbs on it !

Snowface
19-07-03, 01:02 PM
its for a sensor that runs to the ECU i think. But with carbs u won't have an ECU so u don't need it, along with a load of other electrical garbage.

tay
19-07-03, 06:12 PM
So it doesn't matter if you dont blank it off then ?

Jules
19-07-03, 08:52 PM
It's something to do with the vacumn needed for the plenium chamber (for the injection system) but since the injection system is no longer there then the hole is no longer needed, best bet is to take it (the head) to a engineering firm and get them to weld it up, it shouldn't give you any problems then.

I still to the day don't understand why the people that make the T40 inlet manifolds for 1.6i engines don't incorperate something on them to block this hole up!!!

You'll also need special alternator brackets / belts / mounts and throttle cable (I think...) if you don't already have them.

mikeoxford
20-07-03, 12:22 AM
So it doesn't matter if you dont blank it off then ?

:lol: it sure does - as the hole runs right through to the exhaust port of number 2? or three clyinder cant remember. so youll have exhaust fumes pouring out of it at one stage of the combustion process id imagine!

tay
23-07-03, 06:57 PM
We're not talking about the Exhaust Gas Recurculation Valve are we ? I've already blocked the whole off that it went into. If its not which side is it on inlet or exhaust manifold ? is it under where the manifold bolts on then ?

tay
31-07-03, 06:39 PM
Anyone ??? :?