PDA

View Full Version : someone have a look at there gearstick please

heds
19-12-11, 03:30 PM
excuse my lazyness but im laid up in the house at the minute after an operation on my foot so cant go outside to check on my car but, been thinking about how i can make my gearstick/selector on the nova/f28.
my last nova had an f28 but i just think that the 'S' shaped mechanism is a bit vague and sloppy so need to know a couple of thing.
the gears on the box are they backwards? i.e if i was in drivers seat and put a straight rod straight onto the top of the box through fire wall and had the rod in my hand would i need to turn it anti clockwise and towards me for 1st gear ? i think im right there.

secondly the original nova gear stick assembly does it pivot on the bottom of the gearstick and the rod is attached halfway up, or does it pivot on the middle of the stick and the rod is on the bottom of the stick?

basically im wanting to fit a B&M type ally shifter assembly in the car and have a rod directly onto the top of the box so need to know if the rod needs to attach to the gear stick above or below the pivot point to reverse the gears, have i confused you? anyone got pics of the standard nova gear stick setup out of car etc..

cheers:thumb:

stupot89
19-12-11, 07:44 PM
Can you nOt use a f23 out of a vectra b then you have cable change???

mk1nova_rich
19-12-11, 07:55 PM
Its halfway up the lever, so when you push the gearstick forward the main selector rod also moves forward, but pulls the gearbox selector out of the box.

The box selector rotates in direct relation to the side to side movement of the gearstick

heds
19-12-11, 08:48 PM
just what i wanted rich, cheers
so in theory if thew rod was attached below the pivot point it would reverse what the rod does and i could do away with the 'S' shaped linkage. hmmm

mk1nova_rich
19-12-11, 08:51 PM
I've looked into it pal, and its not quite as simple as that unfortunately :( gave me some right headaches lol

The Quaife shifter is what you're ideally after but they cost big money, it may be worth looking into gearstick setups from other cars (Ford Sierra Type 9 could be worth a bit of experimenting)

MK999
19-12-11, 08:57 PM
just what i wanted rich, cheers
so in theory if thew rod was attached below the pivot point it would reverse what the rod does and i could do away with the 'S' shaped linkage. hmmm

That would work yes. Getting the balance on moving left to right on the gearstick, to twisting around the centreline of the rod at the box end would be the difficult bit.

heds
19-12-11, 09:16 PM
sierra type 9? what on earth would that look like? surely thats i stick direct onto the box being rwd?

quaife setup is the one id love but not paying that much for it,
what if i went direct from gearstick to top of box, one straight rod but obviously would mean it was on an angle, wonder if that would just feel awkward

Lee H
19-12-11, 09:16 PM
Chris Tunicliffes old track car ran a modified Corsa set up adjusted to go direct to turret with the gear stick modified so the pivot point was half way up instead of at the bottom. Only picture I can find though.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/Nova---Chris/White%20nova%20build/mini-P1010263-1.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/Nova---Chris/White%20nova%20build/mini-P1010205.jpg

mk1nova_rich
19-12-11, 09:30 PM
sierra type 9? what on earth would that look like? surely thats i stick direct onto the box being rwd?

quaife setup is the one id love but not paying that much for it,
what if i went direct from gearstick to top of box, one straight rod but obviously would mean it was on an angle, wonder if that would just feel awkward

I'm not sure its possible to run a single rod, due to the location and angle of the gearbox selector...the Quaife unit uses 3 rods joined with Helicopter joints.

The Type 9 gearbox has exactly the same gear layout as Vauxhalls, and the gearstick goes down to a forward facing rod...with some experimenting this could lead to something...