PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged nova engine...

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 04:15 PM
Right... i'm building up a new autograss junior special (runs the 12nz engine) and at the end of next year when i go into the adults i'm looking at taking that engine out and as the chassis is light and it has Vauxhall mounts putting a small block supercharged 8v in the back. Firstly what engine would you say is best as a base, 1.6 or less... i was thinking the 1300 and i presume i'd want forged rods and pistons, are there any weak points in the engines?
regards Josh

MK999
18-12-11, 04:17 PM
May as well go for the 1600, same block so there's no weight advantage etc, in fact the 1600 is probably lighter since it will have bigger bores in it lol Why supercharging over a turbo?

_Jake
18-12-11, 04:21 PM
Pretty sure ive read 1300's have forged rods from factory?

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 04:21 PM
just thinking of availability of the tuning parts, generally because turbo's done alot, and obviously the continuous power instead of lag off the line and around corners, another thing... would the f10/ f13 gearboxes cope? i'd be running a lsd and possibly go straight cut

Balley
18-12-11, 04:29 PM
Turbo's are **** for grassing.. lagg lag lagg... BOOOOST... Corner :(

When we did it years ago there were metro turbo there, it was awesome but terrible at the same time, Supercharger is where its at. I would run a 1600 16v with throttle bodies and a charger if it were me.

Edd
18-12-11, 04:31 PM
What charger you thinking of using?

You'll need to lower the compression

You can get 1300 low comp pistons of the shelf btw, I have a set for my turbo conversion

garyc
18-12-11, 04:35 PM
What class? 10 or 9???? What about the 1.8 16V in small block form.

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 04:36 PM
not sure yet, my dad has a folder with all the maps for each eaton supercharger, just need to understand them. how much are these pistons? my dads running a volvo t5 in the back of a special and he's having tonnes of issues and now thinking of supercharging it

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 04:38 PM
and gary with a supercharger it'd be ten, but i'm thinking a leightweight supercharged car would go like stink...

Edd
18-12-11, 04:45 PM
Not sure on price

You know 'grassers are scum for wrecking nova's tho :d lol

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 04:49 PM
thats why i don't race novas on the grass!! just use the engines and keep my loon for the road lol there is one nice rwd loon tho, i'll grab a picture up at some point

_Jake
18-12-11, 04:52 PM
Could you not use a turbo'd small block with anti lag?

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 04:58 PM
i could, but i just fancy supercharged as something different

Stuart
18-12-11, 05:34 PM
imho an F13/F15 would take the job fine.

I'd go with the 1.6 MPI engine (or atleast the MPI intake manifold/injectors etc) as its pretty well sorted for taking booooooost.
What kind of power were you planing to play with? Bear in mind a hEaton M32 will take approx 30bhp to make an extra 100bhp, so factor things like that into the spec of the rods etc.

Calamity Josh
18-12-11, 05:51 PM
well with a 1.6 i'd presume that 150-200bhp without supercharger would be managable? rebuilt with management, cam, forged rods/pistons, and throttle bodies, head work at a guess? ohh and the car weighs roughly 500kg with the 1.2 in!

Calamity Josh
19-12-11, 08:32 AM
looks like i'm going to use one of the 1.6 8v injection astra engines as i have 3 new ones, any weak points? i've seen the vxr pistons on the 16v's, would they fit the 8v?

Stuart
19-12-11, 08:02 PM
Why would you fit throttle bodies when you are FI'ing the engine?!?!?! OK the jenvey plenum is pretty good for boosted applications but its a damn expensive way of getting there.
A genuine 150bhp is about the max on a 1.6 8V NA with a fairly large budget, ok I've seen a near 170bhp version but that had so so so much moneyspent on it that it would make buying an Aston look a cheap move lol.

Or are you on about using a 16V head?

Calamity Josh
19-12-11, 09:14 PM
tbh i wasn't sure what power i'd be looking at, so i take it around 200 bhp could be do able with the supercharger? and i was looking at throttle bodies as they alongside the management would mean i'd have alot of control over fueling e.t.c...

Stuart
19-12-11, 09:17 PM
please explain why throttle bodies would give 'a lot' of control over fuelling compared to using a single TB....

mowgli
19-12-11, 10:38 PM
Right... i'm building up a new autograss junior special (runs the 12nz engine) and at the end of next year when i go into the adults i'm looking at taking that engine out and as the chassis is light and it has Vauxhall mounts putting a small block supercharged 8v in the back. Firstly what engine would you say is best as a base, 1.6 or less... i was thinking the 1300 and i presume i'd want forged rods and pistons, are there any weak points in the engines?
regards Josh

i was looking at your for sale thread & thinking, that'd be fun with a big engine in it.......

what about a corsa vxr lump??? same basic mounts!

Calamity Josh
20-12-11, 07:39 AM
please explain why throttle bodies would give 'a lot' of control over fuelling compared to using a single TB....
Perhaps i'm mistaken then, so a single tb would be fine?

Calamity Josh
20-12-11, 07:40 AM
i was looking at your for sale thread & thinking, that'd be fun with a big engine in it.......

what about a corsa vxr lump??? same basic mounts!

The problem with the vxr engines is finding them! plus the fact i have the brand new 1.6 8v's anyway

Stuart
20-12-11, 08:26 AM
Perhaps i'm mistaken then, so a single tb would be fine?

the only reason I'd goto the bother of fitting DCOE TB's to a boosted engine was if the OEM plenum wasnt upto the job and you needed a higher flowing item as Jenvey also make the plenum part for turbo/airboxes now.

Calamity Josh
20-12-11, 08:29 AM
okay mate, thanks for the info, so which standard inlet would you suggest me to run?

Stuart
20-12-11, 08:31 AM
the 1.6 MPI one (nova GTE/GSI, Corsa, astra etc)

I know for a fact they are good for just shy of 150bhp N/A and no one has really tested how far you can go on the stock inlet, but I reckon 200 is doable if the rest of the build is good enough