PDA

View Full Version : Nova with c20let fitted.....

ocdstigy
18-12-11, 09:42 AM
Hey sorry if this is the wrong section,i assume it comes under technical as i'm not sure if it's electrical or a mechanical problem....

Anyway....this Nova i have been detailing has a slight problem,if the car is jump started fine......leave it for a few hours it turns over slowly and is touch and go if it will start,if it dosn't start.....next time you try the dash lights will come on turn the next notch to turn it over and not even a click DEAD,jump start it and its fine,i know the obvious is the battery.....

When the car is running it sounds like a belt is catching something ever so slightly & making a noise.... i can't see anything that is draining the battery,the digital dash shows 13volts constant(not sure is this gauge is reliably wired in or not)

Is there any tricks tips and tests you guys can give me to check out? sometimes when rolling on the biting point on clutch the car will cut out,which is making me think it is something else at fault(it's not stalling):S ! Sensor possibly? earth strap on gearbox?

I may have to get a video to show the problem,probably easier! however i will wait to see if anybody has any suggestions,cheers in advance,Roy.

krobinson
18-12-11, 11:16 AM
I'd say check the earth from the inlet to the alternator. Without it the battery won't charge!

ocdstigy
19-12-11, 03:51 PM
I'd say check the earth from the inlet to the alternator. Without it the battery won't charge!

Cheers mate will give it a try!

swedge
19-12-11, 04:46 PM
yeah definitely check that strap, i had lots of problems like that i changed the battery and the alternator to find out it was the strap

you can test it by using a jump lead and earthing the alternator to see if it changes

ocdstigy
21-12-11, 01:07 PM
yeah definitely check that strap, i had lots of problems like that i changed the battery and the alternator to find out it was the strap

you can test it by using a jump lead and earthing the alternator to see if it changes

Cheers for the tip !

Rite i will explain the problems......

Car will jump start no problem at all,leave it for 10minutes,turn it off,car will start no problem....however if you turn of again and try to restart it,nothing,dash lights dull and when you try to fire it up,no click or anything just silence

Not only that......if your driving along normally at 60mph(i did a test) it cut out 6 times over a 9mile distance,just gave no notice and went dead,unfortunately i had to keep bump starting it :(

These 2 problems are happening often,also the heater when put on hot dumped the water onto the passenger footwell lol lol must buy some fish for them to swim in it!

also the water in expansion tank(before using heater on hot) would disappear to god knows where?? Oil level is fine,no mayonaise,car will boost properly run properly then all off a sudden cut out!

The starting problem is another issue,not related...........OR IS IT?