PDA

View Full Version : Pressed tin number plates..

_Jake
18-12-11, 01:02 AM
Rightyo i got pulled by some obviously rather bored coppers earlier, couldnt find anything wrong with my driving or car so they tried to tell me that my pressed tin number plates are illegal :tard: They have the correct font and reflective background and british standard number. there excuse was "if they fall off they could seriously injure someone, whereas a plastic one wouldnt" Now is it me or is that a complete piss take!? or am i missing something here...

MattBrown
18-12-11, 01:59 AM
Tell them to shove there ideas up the ****ing ****.

Ahh well, it's been a long night hahaha

turbojolt
18-12-11, 09:27 AM
I was under the impression that they were illegal, and there for there in the right for pulling you over.

MK999
18-12-11, 10:05 AM
I was under the impression that they were illegal, and there for there in the right for pulling you over.

Completely legal if they're made to british standards and have the makers name on the bottom.

turbojolt
18-12-11, 10:09 AM
Is it just the popular black and white ones that are illegal then

MK999
18-12-11, 10:20 AM
Is it just the popular black and white ones that are illegal then

A lot of the ones you see now are legal since dubmeister started making them properly a couple years ago, but the totally plain ones without BS marks etc aren't legal no.

_Jake
18-12-11, 10:42 AM
Tell them to shove there ideas up the ****ing ****.

I wanted too but he was looking for any excuse to **** me over!

Its the german ones that are illegal,

ocdstigy
18-12-11, 10:45 AM
If they are made to british standard,you have answered your own question,perfetly legal !

mowgli
18-12-11, 11:14 AM
the ones that are totally illegal are the black & silver ones on anything newer than a 1973 car...... yet, i still see these cars driving about with them on & never once seen a copper pull one & presecute the driver

Mike
18-12-11, 11:17 AM
They look **** anyway, thats probably why the police gave you jip.

Bubba
18-12-11, 12:06 PM
they did me for my dubmeister ones because they wernt reflective...then i wiped the fine layer of dust of and showed them it was...they then preceded to do me for having them in a complete german layout with the stadt stickers too lol lol

Jack
18-12-11, 12:14 PM
There's nothing in the regulations that say they can't be made out of metal, so long as they confirm to reflective properties, font size/style, layout, marking etc.

Did they actually give you a ticket for it?

_Jake
18-12-11, 12:21 PM
There's nothing in the regulations that say they can't be made out of metal, so long as they confirm to reflective properties, font size/style, layout, marking etc.

Did they actually give you a ticket for it?

Nope he said "its a warning because the traffic cars dont like to see them" really makes no sense to me at all what he was saying.
this is what it looks like:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/bodmin344/DSCF0364.jpg
Perfectly legal :tard: surprised he didnt try to pick me up on my lights too tbh

MK999
18-12-11, 12:22 PM
hard to in a pic like that, but I dont see a BS mark etc? Unless thats whats on the small black border. Is it a dubmeister plate? As afaik they are the only people manufacturing legal pressed plates.

Jack
18-12-11, 12:27 PM
If you were being reeeeaaalllly pedantic, you could argue that the markings are (appear to be?) on the border when they should be on the plate itself.

_Jake
18-12-11, 12:27 PM
British standard number is on the black border under the two, & nope ebay jobby: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressed-Metal-GB-number-plates-100-ROAD-LEGAL-/120765592962?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1e30b582

MK999
18-12-11, 12:38 PM
Afraid to say they're not actually supplied as per BS regulations (edit: well, DVLA regulations, not BS, my mistake) if they are dispatched within 48 hours, they're just made up on the spot and sent out, fully road legal plates require a proof of ownership/registration by law, they also don't look reflective to me tbh?

There's actually nothing stopping anyone printing the BS number onto the plates, but they actually have to be made and supplied to the regulations to be legal.

If you look at the dubmeister ones: http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/webshop/uk-legal-pressed-metal-plates/uk-legal-plates/ they appear to be a lot more 'yellow' which could be the lighting granted, but it's probably partly the reflective qualities too.

Actually found this as well:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/vehicles/search.aspx?companyname=TNW&posttown=&postcode=&page=0&ext=dg
and there's no listing for the company from ebay.

_Jake
18-12-11, 12:44 PM
Afraid to say they're not actually supplied as per BS regulations, if they are dispatched within 48 hours, they're just made up on the spot and sent out, fully road legal plates require a proof of ownership/registration by law, they also don't look reflective to me tbh?

There's actually nothing stopping anyone printing the BS number onto the plates, but they actually have to be made and supplied to the regulations to be legal.

If you look at the dubmeister ones: http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/webshop/uk-legal-pressed-metal-plates/uk-legal-plates/ they appear to be a lot more 'yellow' which could be the lighting granted, but it's probably partly the reflective qualities too.

Actually found this as well:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/vehicles/search.aspx?companyname=TNW&posttown=&postcode=&page=0&ext=dg
and there's no listing for the company from ebay.
They are definitely reflective, otherwise i wouldnt of put them on.. & i thought the proof of ownership only applied if you were changing the registration E.G putting a private plate on ?

MK999
18-12-11, 12:49 PM
They are definitely reflective, otherwise i wouldnt of put them on.. & i thought the proof of ownership only applied if you were changing the registration E.G putting a private plate on ?

Nope, any road legal plate requires proof of ownership etc as of beginning of this year sometime. Dubmeister actually get you to send your docs through the post and send them back with the plates, since they started producing legal ones. Ebay jobbies seem a bit cheap to me as well, dubmeister ones are just under £40 a set... It seems to have disappeared now but there was a page on their site or a forum somewhere detailing all the hassle they had to go through to make them road legal, and hence the price since they invested in it so heavily.

They will probably stand up to a roadside check if they are reflective and have the BS numbers, but if someone really questions the quality of them, and certainly the method in which they were supplied, they might fall over.

edit: I'm not getting royalties from dubmeister btw, they're just the only manufacturer of truly legal ones that I know lol

_Jake
18-12-11, 12:53 PM
Fair cop, just got me a bit as ive been stopped a few times before & anpr'd bloody millions of times and this is the first time anythings been said :wtf:

EDIT:
this one shows the reflectiveness a bit better :p
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/bodmin344/DSCF0352.jpg

Pistol Pete
18-12-11, 12:56 PM
Also alot of the ebay sales pages for plates have this:
All plates unless specifically requested (documentation required) are sold as "show use" and/or "off road use" and therefore we cannot be held responsible for illegal use of these plates on the road, by choosing "buy it now" you are agreeing to these terms and conditions of sale, We cannot be held responsible for any fines or convictions resulting from using these plates for any purpose but for the one for which they were designed.

The place i got mine from did. But they are normal GB reflective ones with BS markings and makers details along the bottom.

Jack
18-12-11, 02:08 PM
It seems to have disappeared now but there was a page on their site or a forum somewhere detailing all the hassle they had to go through to make them road legal, and hence the price since they invested in it so heavily.
That was Craigsplates iirc

I can't see anything in the relevant law that says the plate manufacturer has to be registered with the DVLA?

Balley
18-12-11, 02:16 PM
It doesn't need the numbers if the vehicle was registered before September 2001 any way, yes the can't sell the legally but the cop doesn't know there weren't fitted pre 9/01 does he.

So any nova can have them as long as its reflective and has legal numbers, they can even be honey comb or carbon fibre effect!

pie
18-12-11, 02:27 PM
thought you didnt need to display a bsa number only from 2000 onwards?

Jack
18-12-11, 03:09 PM
It doesn't need the numbers if the vehicle was registered before September 2001 any way, yes the can't sell the legally but the cop doesn't know there weren't fitted pre 9/01 does he.
The fact they're in the new style font does kinda give it away though lol

brainsnova
18-12-11, 03:20 PM
I love it when the cops find nothing then go for the plates. I was driving along in my nova just after passing my test along a well known road for races back in the day. I pulled away from the lights and had a feeling something wasn't right so proceeded at 30mph for about 150m and a traffic cop stepped out of nowhere lol and pulled me in and all they could find wrong was my plates but they were illegal

heds
18-12-11, 03:27 PM
thats some very bored police officers to pull you for that!

_Jake
18-12-11, 04:03 PM
I love it when the cops find nothing then go for the plates. I was driving along in my nova just after passing my test along a well known road for races back in the day.
I was somewhere similar all night, and didnt even get blinked at up there by them lol

thats some very bored police officers to pull you for that!
Yep, pair of younger ones in a focus, allthough i would get bored driving a ford around all night lol

Jedro
18-12-11, 05:20 PM
so could i put black plates on my v reg corsa? legally?

turbojolt
18-12-11, 05:25 PM
When you think about how many times do you think the old bill have pulled someone on a hunch and found drugs, weapons and tools for robbing and god knows what else, if your driving legal and have nothing to worrie about just let them get on with it imo the next guy they tug could be tooled up ready to do someone some real damage and if by pulling that car/person over it stops that I'm alright with it.

Stuart
18-12-11, 05:30 PM
so could i put black plates on my v reg corsa? Legally?

no

Jedro
18-12-11, 05:43 PM
:(

Stuart
18-12-11, 05:47 PM
Buy something pre 1973 then :p

svlet
18-12-11, 06:10 PM
My mate had pressed german plates on his e36 m3 they were standard out factory we got pulled over and he was told to change because was illegal because the car was not moted in Germany so thier for shouldn't have a german plate also they took a disliking to the placement of his l plates .

L14MNP
18-12-11, 10:01 PM
It's amazing how many people do not understand the number plate law. lol Can I fit pre '73 plates on my post '73 car? LOL

This is me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ManorQuay/Volvo%20360/th_PICT1528.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ManorQuay/Volvo%20360/?action=view&current=PICT1528.jpg)

(Fairly) legal. Nothing to see here.

MK999
18-12-11, 10:23 PM
Photo of plates with timestamp saved for if/when you piss me off :)

L14MNP
18-12-11, 10:39 PM
Photo of plates with timestamp saved for if/when you piss me off :)

You may wanna save this instead, the time stamp is very wrong. I got the plates last year. They are legal, if fitted pre '06. Which of course mine were. lol

If you don't believe that, they seem to belong to an AW11 MR2 anyway. lol

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5645002896_1fc5581127_o.jpg

MK999
18-12-11, 10:40 PM
You may wanna save this instead, the time stamp is very wrong. I got the plates last year. They are legal, if fitted pre '06. Which of course mine were. lol

Do the police care if the timestamp is wrong? lol

L14MNP
18-12-11, 10:45 PM
Do the police care if the timestamp is wrong? lol

It matters not. Pre 2006 there were legal to fit to any pre 2001 car. They're still legal to display on said cars, but if one requires replacing then it must be in the current New Charles Wright font, or wtf it is.

Just lucky these were on the car when I bought it, eh. lol

mowgli
18-12-11, 10:48 PM
i want a set of polish plates, they allow you to undertake on the motorway & park anywhere

ocdstigy
18-12-11, 10:49 PM
i want a set of polish plates, they allow you to undertake on the motorway & park anywhere

pmsl!!

MK999
18-12-11, 10:51 PM

Not for a while now, polish police actually work with british to fine them, you do however get away with the points part if you have a polish license, so you can rack up whatever size bill you like lol

I suggest picking another random european company which is outside the EU and a little less friendly police wise lol

L14MNP
18-12-11, 10:53 PM
Or perhaps UAE/anything Arabic. Guaranteed not to be prosecuted. May have to wear a niquab (sp) thingy though to complete the picture. lol

turbojolt
18-12-11, 10:55 PM

And no need to tax you car and or van for years on end, if my old neighbours are anything to go by conts

MK999
18-12-11, 10:56 PM
Or perhaps UAE/anything Arabic. Guaranteed not to be prosecuted. May have to wear a niquab (sp) thingy though to complete the picture. lol

Diplomatic plates are a definitely win there. Arabic is a bonus because trying to track down "squiggle, squiggle, squiggly line with a dot, line with 3 dots, and then a wobbly w" as recorded by the 99.9% of police that don't read it, would be more hassle than trying to write it down lol

mowgli
18-12-11, 10:57 PM

that reminds me of something i saw when working in nuneaton some years back.....

a woman was walking up the street wearing a niqab.. then a few moments later another woman walked up the street in an identical niqab, then a woman drove up the road also wearing an identical niqab. she pipped the horn & waved to the second woman, who waved back, but not the first one.....how on earth did she know who it was???

turbojolt
18-12-11, 11:04 PM
Lmfao sounds like leicester

L14MNP
18-12-11, 11:05 PM
that reminds me of something i saw when working in nuneaton some years back.....

a woman was walking up the street wearing a niqab.. then a few moments later another woman walked up the street in an identical niqab, then a woman drove up the road also wearing an identical niqab. she pipped the horn & waved to the second woman, who waved back, but not the first one.....how on earth did she know who it was???

One word: Marklar.

L14MNP
18-12-11, 11:06 PM
Lmfao sounds like leicester

Aye, or Bradistan etc. None of that carry on up here, save for two streets in two cities. lol

TeddyThom
18-12-11, 11:39 PM
The fact they're in the new style font does kinda give it away though lol

Is there a specific font for 1990?? I have been looking at getting some pressed metal plates for my nova, never really found out where from til now lol

L14MNP
18-12-11, 11:42 PM
Is there a specific font for 1990??

Yeah, not the 2001> font. lol

TeddyThom
18-12-11, 11:44 PM
lol

Trouble is I haven't a clue what the font is called etc, so I want to clarify about it before I make myself look like a fool haha

L14MNP
18-12-11, 11:50 PM
lol

Trouble is I haven't a clue what the font is called etc, so I want to clarify about it before I make myself look like a fool haha

You think that's hard, I spent an eternity looking for the name of the font on my plates! lol

IIRC, the pre 2001 font is called 'Charles Wright' mate.

Jack
19-12-11, 05:05 PM
...but thats a moot point, as any plates made up these days have to conform to the new regulations.

mowgli
19-12-11, 05:42 PM
as with all these laws, its got grandfather rights.... so if it was fitted legally in whatever year, & isn't removed, then it is fine, but the moment its removed, a new type one must be fitted....