PDA

View Full Version : Bought Engine Off Someone On Here :@ Not Too Happy

sionr
14-12-11, 07:14 PM
Bought a 1300cc engine off someone on here that has not decided to ignore my emails

4 hours after putting this engine in a knocking started from bottom end after driving the car 5 miles the rest of the way home the noise was painful

Would any1 not be happy with that sale and would appriciate some good will gesture or am i just on another planet lol????

Thanks Sion

Iain
14-12-11, 07:17 PM
So it didn't knock when you first started/drove it?

Unfortunately it's always a risk bolting in an engine you've never seen running...

chambers1984
14-12-11, 07:37 PM
its just a risk u take mate there old engines. if it was me i would take it out and rebuild it before u do any major damage. atleast if u fix it u now your not going to end up buying another duff one

Bubba
14-12-11, 07:43 PM
random question...did it have any oil in it

Andy
14-12-11, 07:44 PM
Believe me, after 2 engine explosions in as many months you learn your lesson.even if they were genuinely good prior to removal as one of mine was,been stood does them no favours.

Andy
14-12-11, 07:46 PM
Who is that off btw??

sionr
14-12-11, 08:14 PM
was bought from colin smith

also the 4hours it was in ran lump in low revs and yes all oil was flushed did find out after buying it that it had been stood for 18 month but supposidly starded evry 4month

have been told botton ends normally go over time this went in 5 miles :S

brand new oil in it

autoworksnovasport
14-12-11, 08:15 PM
one of those things mate

SimonTW
14-12-11, 08:33 PM
It's just one of those things sadly. I bought a C16XE years ago. the piston smashed through the head after fitting it and taking it out for a spin. Unless he is specifically offering a warranty on the engine there isn't alot he can do as he isn't checking them over.

Was this the 1300 on twin 40's?

Novasport
14-12-11, 08:41 PM
Bought a 1300cc engine off someone on here that has not decided to ignore my emails

So he has replied to your emails when you wanted him to ignore you, according to your statement.

If you are buying a used engine then you always run the risk it may fail at any time. I would always prefer to strip & refresh an engine before fitting with new bearings, cambelt, water pump etc.

I would confidently say that Colin would never knowingly sell a dud, he is a very trustworthy seller.

burgo
14-12-11, 09:00 PM
which oil did you put in as well? also if you used an oil system cleaner that could have actually blocked an oil way

Balley
14-12-11, 09:23 PM
I had this happen to me with a bike. Sounded fantastic. No knocks or rattles etc... riding it normally and all of a sudden it nipped up, turned out the crank had some rust on the big end and it must of got hot and just locked up.. That is why you shouldn't leave them standing for months :(

Edd
14-12-11, 09:29 PM
Sadly its one of them things really

Any second hand engine is high risk imo

Pistol Pete
14-12-11, 09:41 PM
Can only echo what others have said really.

comptoncj
14-12-11, 09:56 PM
I bought a 1600 engine off of a well thought of member on here, I wont name names but i put it in and it ended up being took out just as quick as it has two cracked pistons. It is unfortunate but from experience even if an engine is sold as good I would still take the sump off and replace what it needed as its not worth the hassle and dissapointment when you end up wrecking an engine.

JShannon
14-12-11, 10:06 PM
Never bought anything from the guy myself but as said he is a very trustworthy seller :thumb:

davidfox280585
14-12-11, 10:11 PM
i bought a dud bottom end from rstchris still yet to be part refunded with some new big ends:roll:
sounds like you have been http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/x_little_miss_nothing_x/Dirty%20Smileys/analsex.gif

Lewis.
14-12-11, 10:21 PM
If you buy a cheap old engine, without seeing it run, then this is the gamble you take. which is why it's always best to either see it run before it's removed, or buy a running car and remove it yourself.

Also, I've bought quite a bit off Colin, and he always replies to his emails, and is probably the most trust worthy seller on here. He's my first port of call for most nova things tbh.

swedge
15-12-11, 06:33 AM
So he has replied to your emails when you wanted him to ignore you, according to your statement.

If you are buying a used engine then you always run the risk it may fail at any time. I would always prefer to strip & refresh an engine before fitting with new bearings, cambelt, water pump etc.

I would confidently say that Colin would never knowingly sell a dud, he is a very trustworthy seller.

+1 on this, ive bought plenty stuff from colin and wouldnt ever think he'd sell you a knowingly ****ed engine

just like everyone else says its a gamble you take buying an engine thats not been seen in a car, just gotta take it on the chin

Alex J
15-12-11, 09:02 AM
IMO you should get another engine if thats the case, as colin is a nova `breakers` as such, if it were mine id take it back the same as i would if it were a breakers around here i got it from.

Southie
15-12-11, 09:15 AM
Sold as seen sadly though Merris, personally I'd never buy a non running engine "again" lol

novarally
15-12-11, 09:28 AM
This is the ONE AND ONLY response I will make on a public forum, as I totally disagree with the way the Internet allows people to shout their side of a story, and for all and sundry to chip in. I have a reputation to upkeep, and I don't want one person ruining it.

Having said that I very much appreciate the support of the overwhelming majority of PNG'ers. Thank-you.

Sion bought a 1300cc engine & gearbox from me, a complete engine, with high lift camshaft, modified cylinder head, high lift camshaft and 4-branch exhaust manifold. He paid £400 for this, a bargain price I would have thought.

I test drove the car that this engine came from myself, listened to it and was 100% satisfied it was fit for re-sale. Trust me, I don't need the money that badly that I would risk selling something unfit for purpose.

Sadly on this occasion my powers of clairvoyancy were lacking, and I didn't foresee that 4 hours of running time later it would develop a problem. Of course I have no knowledge (or control) over the standard of installation of the engine, nor how it was treated within that 4 hour period. For all I know it could have been banging off the rev-limiter for most of that time.

Despite this, I have offered Sion a replacement bottom end, something which I think he has ommitted to mention on this thread. In the circumstances I would have thought this was a sensible and appropriate 'goodwill' gesture.

As people have correctly identified, this is a secondhand engine, and no-one can predict the lifespan of an engine that has inevitably done a lot of work already.

I have nothing more to add.

Colin

Alex J
15-12-11, 09:30 AM
Sold as seen sadly though Merris, personally I'd never buy a non running engine "again" lolif i got an engine from any vauxhall breakers around here, and it was knocking or whatever i would take it back, they colour mark them aswell so they know it was sold by them, and would get another, if the engine was of a private seller then id take it on the chin, but not a parts seller imo

Alex J
15-12-11, 09:34 AM
This is the ONE AND ONLY

Despite this, I have offered Sion a replacement bottom end, something which I think he has ommitted to mention on this thread. In the circumstances I would have thought this was a sensible and appropriate 'goodwill' gesture.

Colinas said, a dealer would offer a replacement.

Southie
15-12-11, 09:51 AM
if i got an engine from any vauxhall breakers around here, and it was knocking or whatever i would take it back, they colour mark them aswell so they know it was sold by them, and would get another, if the engine was of a private seller then id take it on the chin, but not a parts seller imo
Colin "IS" a private seller though, he's not called C.Smith Nova breakers is he!!!

Alex J
15-12-11, 09:56 AM
Colin "IS" a private seller though, he's not called C.Smith Nova breakers is he!!!
what is he then?

Hobbit
15-12-11, 10:14 AM
what is he then?

just someone that breaks the "odd" nova to fund his hill climb habit.

Alex J
15-12-11, 10:18 AM
just someone that breaks the "odd" nova to fund his hill climb habit.a trader aswell lol.

Southie
15-12-11, 10:24 AM
He contributes to here with trading status due to selling so many items, you'll find a few others on here who sell car parts are also traders but aren't traders in the real world.

L33 LEG
15-12-11, 10:50 AM
Breaker or not, i wouldnt trust any unknown nova owner driving a new converted nova for 4 hours without thrashing it. If it had started knocking straight away then fair enough, i would expect a breakers yard to refund it, but it didnt do so it's not a question whether or not colin is a breaker.

If he has offered another bottom end for it (either for free or very cheap) then that is more than enough for colin to do imo, the buyer just needs to take it on the chin and be more cautious next time.

Hobbit
15-12-11, 11:08 AM
Agreed. replacement bottom end seems more than fair to me.

Alex J
15-12-11, 11:19 AM
Agreed. replacement bottom end seems more than fair to me.this is what i mean

MattBrown
15-12-11, 11:46 AM
All I can do is echo the remarks of others.

If you buy an "old" engine, fit it, and it starts knocking after 4 hours whos to know?

I bet as its on carbs, theres no limiter, and its been having some serious, serious pastings.

Why would you leave an engine to tick over for 4 hours, then do 5 miles?

Seems very odd IMO:)

PS, Delt with colin a few times, streight talking like myself, and always seems to sell decent parts.

Prey
15-12-11, 11:47 AM
if i was the buyer i would be more than happy with the offer of a replacement bottom end - it is definitely very decent of colin to offer this - he doesn't need to.

Jack
15-12-11, 12:17 PM
I think no further input on this is required.