PDA

View Full Version : polishing throttle body + butterflys

Bubba
13-12-11, 06:42 PM
ive got a nice XE throttle body which im polishing the insides of. are there any major advantages of doing this?

id hazard a guess at slightly improved air flow etc

Jedro
13-12-11, 07:16 PM
sounds good when telling someone the spec :P

lol

porting it out would have sharper throttle responce but cant see just polishing it have much (if any) gains

Bubba
13-12-11, 07:21 PM
it is rough cast as standard.

Jedro
13-12-11, 07:31 PM
i suppose it would make the air flow a bit better

Bubba
13-12-11, 07:37 PM
so...possibly with a nice inlet pipe, inlet manifold polishing and headwork it would help

Lewis.
13-12-11, 07:39 PM
You might find an extra hp or two on the dyno, but in the real world, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Any difference you do 'notice' is likely to be in your head. So on it's own, it's not going to make any diference, in conjunction with other smoothing and head work etc, it maybe worthwhile

The TB may be smooth and shiney, but the inside of the plenum, and runners are still the same rough cast finish

Angus Closier
13-12-11, 08:39 PM
so...possibly with a nice inlet pipe, inlet manifold polishing and headwork it would help

Having the inlet too smooth is not good. You want it to be slightly rough to allow turbulence in the air....This will aid air fuel mixture.

Exactly what are you polishing/Porting?

IF the TB is the same size whats the point? Not much. If you want to do something take the butterfly out and knife edge it.....

Have it done properly or don't bother, you wont notice anything.

burgo
13-12-11, 10:18 PM
Having the inlet too smooth is not good. You want it to be slightly rough to allow turbulence in the air....This will aid air fuel mixture.

Exactly what are you polishing/Porting?

IF the TB is the same size whats the point? Not much. If you want to do something take the butterfly out and knife edge it.....

Have it done properly or don't bother, you wont notice anything.

this only matters after the fuel has been injected

Bubba
13-12-11, 11:34 PM
ive got a spare one lying around as im using R1s...planned on selling it thought i might get some extra pennies for having it polished...obviously not. might just ling it back in my box of random parts lol

Connor
14-12-11, 01:00 AM
Why not just put it on a running car and put some sand into the inlet, the forced induction should help the porting the polishing of the manifold :p

Angus Closier
14-12-11, 12:11 PM

this only matters after the fuel has been injected

I know it does, I wasn't sure if he was just going to do the TB.

Bubba
14-12-11, 06:49 PM
I know it does, I wasn't sure if he was just going to do the TB.

not ever going to use them, though for a few hours elbow grease might get a bit more than a tenner for it :)

Why not just put it on a running car and put some sand into the inlet, the forced induction should help the porting the polishing of the manifold :p

this would also cause me to bore my engine out a bit more and im not wanting to increase the cc lol lol lol.

Iain
14-12-11, 06:57 PM
I would like to purchase this totally untested and DIY-guesswork modified throttle body and offer you £40 plus any postage and packaging incurred. I trust it will be polished to a high shine inside?

L14MNP
14-12-11, 06:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ManorQuay/stop-bein-a-cnut.jpg

Bubba
14-12-11, 07:16 PM
I would like to purchase this totally untested and DIY-guesswork modified throttle body and offer you £40 plus any postage and packaging incurred. I trust it will be polished to a high shine inside?

i can guarantee at least a 15bhp increase when used in conjunction with some lightened carbon kevlar valves lol

Iain
14-12-11, 07:19 PM
Done deal then lol

burgo
14-12-11, 09:23 PM
you know for a fact some little ebay chav will be happy to pay well over the odds for a polished throttle bodie, i say go for it. might do it to the let one i have

Bubba
14-12-11, 09:30 PM
that was going to be the plan. obviously if it did have some sort of advantages i'd have offered it on here. but since not im sure some lil chav will want it for epic airflow and throttle reaction in his 1.4 corsa redtop...might throw in the resistor for 15bhp too. lol lol