PDA

View Full Version : Points On Your Licence

Graeme
13-12-11, 06:33 PM
Just a quick question, do points on your licence run from the offence or conviction date? I presume its from conviction if so what is the offence date for? I know they are valid for three years, can be physically removed after four and then not told to insurance after five.

I'm just looking forward to having a normal licence again and not like someones of police camera action lol

Bubba
13-12-11, 06:36 PM
mine are dated on the paper part on the day i was caught.

Graeme
13-12-11, 06:37 PM
Correct mate it'll have both dates but it doesn't say which one the three year term runs from

svlet
13-12-11, 06:51 PM
It's from the date of conviction like being banned from driving they cant take ur license off u til ur convicted

scott.parker
13-12-11, 07:19 PM
From conviction so if you were given them road side like i had, it's there and then, and is till the 4yr after that dated day, Graeme if you have not re done your lice for it's photo card (has to be done every 10 years) wait till then and get new of both i did lol

Southie
13-12-11, 07:48 PM
I'll be interested to see how much your insurance changes tbh, probably not much though :(

Graeme
13-12-11, 08:10 PM
What from ten points to none Dave and another years no claims? I hope it will come down o few quid at least or not be that much dearer with a let in it to what I'm paying now lol

Southie
13-12-11, 08:13 PM
10 points lol top work on not topping up then.

I've my an old ban coming off in September, that will be a clean licence in 11 years :eek:

Andy
13-12-11, 08:14 PM
Its 4 years from the date of offence actually
Edit even says so here.....http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_4022550

Pistol Pete
13-12-11, 08:16 PM
Boom ^ was just going to say the same. It changed a while back IIRC.

Graeme
13-12-11, 08:32 PM
Agree but the rules is stated below there for only valid for three but can be removed entirely after four

six months ban if you get 12 penalty points or more within three years

Andy
13-12-11, 08:37 PM
Not always,its at the discretion of the magistrates.

Graeme
13-12-11, 08:46 PM
I know what your saying Andy, I know couriors on 18 points and still have their Licence, I'm just close to the end and its a daily worry, I cba begging magistrate and paying a massive find if I get caught again despite calming down and trying to conform

turbodrew1
13-12-11, 08:48 PM
Not always,its at the discretion of the magistrates.

Yeah but you would have to be pumpin the judge not to get banned, I was banned for 6 months from last August til February this year, was a nightmare tryin to do anything.

So just to clarify,is the points/ban on your licence only valid for 3 years after date of offence?

Pistol Pete
13-12-11, 09:01 PM
Yeah but you would have to be pumpin the judge not to get banned, I was banned for 6 months from last August til February this year, was a nightmare tryin to do anything.

So just to clarify,is the points/ban on your licence only valid for 3 years after date of offence?

Not true at all!

I got caught doing 111mph on the M4 a few years back. Went to court, got 6 points and a fine. Due to totting up this gave me 12 points. No ban.

And no...read the link, 4 years.

Graeme
13-12-11, 09:12 PM
So there valid for 4 years but anything after 3 years is not considered totting up? Due to the rule reading

steviegsi
13-12-11, 09:24 PM
Is there any benefit of actually getting them taken off your licence after 4 years? I never bothered sending it away when mine were due to come off.... Didn't really see the point in paying £20 iirc just to remove them.

They were taken off last week anyway when I got hgv provisional entitlement put on my licence.

Pistol Pete
13-12-11, 09:37 PM
I didnt pay to get mine removed. Might of moved house though...

turbodrew1
13-12-11, 09:48 PM
Not true at all!

I got caught doing 111mph on the M4 a few years back. Went to court, got 6 points and a fine. Due to totting up this gave me 12 points. No ban.

And no...read the link, 4 years.

Bummer!!

You can sit on 12 though I thought. I got 9 in the one sitting which took me to 16.
Meh, *******s change the rules all the time.

Pistol Pete
13-12-11, 09:58 PM
Say what you like. One of us kept our license....lol

turbodrew1
13-12-11, 10:03 PM
Say what you like. One of us kept our license....lol

Steady, that's all in the past

brainsnova
13-12-11, 10:28 PM
It used to be from offence as if it took them 6 months to take you to court then it's not your fault lol 4 years on licence 5 on insurance

Jack
14-12-11, 08:19 AM
Is there any benefit of actually getting them taken off your licence after 4 years?
No, as you still have to declare them for insurance purposes for a further year. The 4 year thing is only to remove expired endorsements from your paper licence to tidy it up, not remove them from your record completely. So its a bit of a pointless (excuse the pun) exercise really.

As Andy pointed out, date of conviction or date of offence depends on the offence.
Totting up only counts for anything within 3 years... eg.
6 points 01/01/2000 + 6 points 31/12/2002 = 12 points, automatic ban
6 points 01/01/2000 + 6 points 02/01/2003 = 12 points, NO automatic ban

Thats not to say you won't get a ban for the second offence, but you won't get an automatic ban purely for totting up if there's a three or more year gap between points.

Alex J
14-12-11, 09:07 AM
been driving 11 years............... zero points (now ill never knowlol)

handed my licence in for one year due to a medical problem on going, get it back in march/april next year fingers crossed, just did a quote on the nova including the medical issue, and it came back at £350 fully comp!!! maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel!