PDA

View Full Version : Work situation

Pete
13-12-11, 06:31 PM
In a bit of a decision about what to do regarding work.

I work for the Co-Operative Food.
On Sunday the 3rd, the place was armed robbed. Lucky to say I was on holiday at the time but unfortunate for the people on.

The store seems to have become a bit of a target by people from far out,
Started with being ram raided about 7 months ago, took down the front window with a van and cleared us out of £7000 worth of cigarettes and booze, the yobs were never caught!
Then 7 weeks ago, security van came to collect the stores takings and was targeted by 4 eastern Europeans, luckily they never got anything after the driver managed to fight them off, but suffered some serious injuries.

Then on the 3rd at 8.58pm 3 of my colleagues were on and 3 masked men ran in and pulled knifes up to them and dragged them to the back were the stores safes are. They were very physical with them and constantly threatening with the knifes. They cleared out 8k from the safes.

I don't tend to work nights but will do from time to time and it's kind of hit home as to whether it's worth the risk even working there now, I've started to see alot of new faces the act very dodgy when they come in, so obviously your always very wary of them and constantly leaves me feeling paranoid of something happening.

Just decided on whether or not it's time to close the curtains there and find something new or stay?

svlet
13-12-11, 06:45 PM
Take something with you for protection better safe than sorry. And if you get count with the item then you will probes be fired either way ul be safer than just standing their waiting to be done in.

Pete
13-12-11, 06:50 PM
What a silly reply.
So what happens if we get armed robbed again and I'm also carrying a knife or similar? They're going to react and I either get stabbed or I get sent to prison. Clever ...

Bubba
13-12-11, 06:51 PM
Take something with you for protection better safe than sorry. And if you get count with the item then you will probes be fired either way ul be safer than just standing their waiting to be done in.

lol that was going to be my idea...as well as possibly looking for another job

svlet
13-12-11, 06:54 PM
Or you could fight back with a pack of ham that will scare them right off. And look for another job that way if u do get fired ur ready to go

Southie
13-12-11, 07:00 PM
I'd start applying for a newer job tbh. Get a cv sent out to bigger supermarkets seeings you've now experience in the supermarket industry.

Or, raid the place yourself (I jest Pete);)

Mike
13-12-11, 07:01 PM
Or, raid the place yourself (I jest Pete);)

This. And then get a new job. lol

Lewis.
13-12-11, 07:02 PM
Well it sounds like the place has a bit of a reputation as being a target, and also sounds as though the robberies are getting more violent. I'd not feel safe working there, and there's not really anything you can do about certainly the above comment about arming yourself is ridiculous lol I'd certainly be looking for somewhere else, but in the current climate, I'd not leave intill you have something else lined up. Can/will the Co Op transfer you to a different store?

svlet
13-12-11, 07:03 PM
Lol go with rob it ur self I mean it seems easy enough everyone els is doing it probs safer to be the robber than the robbed

Pete
13-12-11, 07:06 PM
Haha well I suppose I could do the job properly as I know where everything is, a few k up :)

I asked for a transfer but nothing local'ish.
Ive applied at tesco and sainsburys which are both better packages than what I get now so I await and see but then I don't know if I want to stay in retail and the threat is always there when there's that much money about in a shop.

Southie
13-12-11, 07:11 PM
How confident a person are you Pete? How about a security guard lol

Seriously!!! If your not sure if your wanting this type of job... stay until you maybe find something more suitable, maybe a nightcourse on something you "do" want to do.

svlet
13-12-11, 07:18 PM
Southie has a good idea do a night course I suggest one on maning up and getting on with it

Southie
13-12-11, 07:20 PM
Svlet, leave the lad alone ffs :p

MK999
13-12-11, 07:22 PM
An AK is the answer, no robber messes with an AK, no one will ever sack the guy with an AK, and even the armed police will take it steady lol

Southie
13-12-11, 07:24 PM
I've a AA spi transducer... any good lol

Pete
13-12-11, 07:25 PM
Svlet how much of a cock can you be in one topic, fck off if you ain't got anything decent to say.

I'm confident in myself, very face to face type hence why I'm still in retail as its just a doddle.

I have NVQ level 2 in motor vehicle which i did whilst at college, but round here garage rates are rubbish and need level 3 for a main dealers.
So could possibly do that.

Southie
13-12-11, 07:32 PM
How rubbish a rates to the coop though?

turbojolt
13-12-11, 07:33 PM
Bruv if it happens when its your shift just give them everything never risk your self for some rich pricks money, your not in a action film why bother your never benefit from being a hero.

And if you fell unsafe mate look for another job but the career you have chosen will more then likely always be under this kind of threat tbh

Just stay safe mate

Pete
13-12-11, 07:44 PM
Cheers TJ, that's what the people on did, didn't hesitate in giving them what they wanted, like I said to them, it's just a job, they make hundreds of thousands a day so that little wouldn't make a diffrence were as loosing your life would.

And it's only £6.25 ph but we get 7 weeks holiday at the mo until further notice as we were a Somerfield.

turbojolt
13-12-11, 07:55 PM
That it mate it just not worth it, I'm not trying to talk my self up but I've been stabbed and it ****ing hurts.

Angus Closier
13-12-11, 08:11 PM
Without sounding like a Kn*b If you don't like it leave?

If I'm honest with you instead of talking about it on a nova forum you should be writing to your store manager along with any other employees who are concerned for there saftey during working hours. You are there problem and they will have to provide a way to make you safe at work. They will end up liable if it carry's on and somone actually gets hurt.

Put a complaint in or find another job.....Complaining about it on here wont get you anywhere!! (Unfortunately!!)

Also going to get your level 3 is a good idea! I have found that main dealers tend to want experience as well as a level 3, you might have to stick it in a smaller garage for the time being?

Anyway whatever happens I'm sure you will be fine.