PDA

View Full Version : E16SE/C16SE technical help please.

techie
14-07-03, 11:23 PM
I have a oil leak from my head gasket on my GSi. Mine is fitted with a catted C16SE engine. I would like to fit my modded E16SE head with its Piper cam to the C16SE injection manifold and block etc.

The only problem I can see instanly is the E16SE has a mechanical EGR system on it which has a port built into the head, the C16SE does not. Now this can be welded up with no problems to over come this.

Are there any other differences that anyone else knows of? Im thinking along the lines on port shape on the inlet manifold (square/round type problem) not sure on spec with out stripping it.

Any gen would be great.

Many thanks

Ross

Dicko
15-07-03, 12:10 AM
exhaust r defo same, inlet shud be same as there was only ever 1 twin40;s inlet for a 1.6 8v ye?

techie
15-07-03, 12:17 AM
Yeah sounds reasonable.

Think its going to be a case of pull the head off and have a look. If it wont fit just refit original head, gotta come off anyhow.

Cheers

Aragorn
15-07-03, 06:00 PM
you could just throw the e16 injection system on while your there?

not really that much extra work

just wiring

techie
15-07-03, 06:07 PM
Mainly because the E16SE wiring will not run the CAT, cant bin the CAT unless I fit the E16SE engine.

Aragorn
15-07-03, 09:29 PM
why not just fit the e16se as a complete unit then

mikeoxford
15-07-03, 10:37 PM
ive fitted a b+ head to my engine asyour aware.

i run carbs and dont need any injection rubbish. i know it dont answe rlal your questions but

my bottom end is a gte and my head is off a gsi.

the gsi head had a hole on one of the exhaust ports - i assume this is the afformentioned EGR valve?

i took it to my uncles, and he drilled and tapped it, and i used seam sealer and loctite and nipped a bolt up tight in the hole, seems fine

exhaust macthed my four branch perfectly.

inlet manifold and head inlets i had ported to compensate for a bit of mismatch as i am running the rong shaped inlet manifold on my head.

apart from that

there is a water temp guage? under my dizzy i dont use.

and thats all i can tell you

techie
18-07-03, 12:50 AM
why not just fit the e16se as a complete unit then

Because at the moment I dont have the time of money to build the E16SE bottom end to the spec I want to. So the head is just an interim mod to cure the head gasket oil leak.

Mike,

I have now blanked off the EGR port on the head with a machined ali bung which will do fine. The tempsensor under the dizzy is for the ECU so you wouldnt need that.

Cheers all

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 04:25 PM
machined ally "BUNG" ????????

:o :o :o :o :o :o

how is it held in?

if you thing it will hold with a bit of glue your wrong!!!

if its a screw type thing and u threaded it then cool.

but dan had same problem. at a rolling road day (when engine was being worked obviously) his bung came loose and shot out

in the end he had to manufacture a bracket between two of his manifold studs..... that held the bung thing in

*touches wood* i tapped mine and put a big bolt in it, make sure you get all the swarf out if u do this. it has a washer under it and is completely loctited and seam sealered in. *touches wood*

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 04:25 PM
PS i did pm and leave u msg on messenger. admins i apologies for this :oops:

techie mate we need to sort out our dealings.............

still have your stuff here. want to wait for a NL meet or shall we post?

techie
18-07-03, 07:33 PM
I've now got some centre caps/ badges mate. A chap actually brought some along for me on the Sunday at Billing :P

The EGR port has been machined out and an ali bung had been welded flush in the cylinder head so should be just fine. Its not under any great pressure anyhow as it only feeds into the inlet chamber.

mikeoxford
18-07-03, 09:11 PM
I've now got some centre caps/ badges mate. A chap actually brought some along for me on the Sunday at Billing :P

The EGR port has been machined out and an ali bung had been welded flush in the cylinder head so should be just fine. Its not under any great pressure anyhow as it only feeds into the inlet chamber.

inlet!?

im sure if u look down it goes all the way through to an exhaust port??

may be wrong.

and dont be fooled its not under "any great load" well - i guess it may not be. i dunno. but dan managed to blow his bung out!!! hence my tapper loctited and seamsealed!

youll bee fine if it aly welded though :)

NovaNeil
21-07-03, 03:41 PM
cant bin the CAT unless I fit the E16SE engine.

Why not? If its 1993 (Which it should be if its got a CAT), the MOT centre will let you off if its not on. Because 1993 is the year of change,
when they've asked me for the last 3 years i've just told them its the model before the CAT, they will never be that bothered to ring Vauxhall and check the engine numbers.

Dicko
21-07-03, 04:19 PM
they dont need to call vuax they shud have a list of engine numbers.

however yes they have always let me and all my mates off as the regs came in after the engine had been made. 1 time we had no cat and took the lambda off and put an input into the ecu so it didnt run too rich and said well its a pre-cat engine and they just said ok let us off cuz we got below the required co2 for a non-cat car.

Ste_Nova
21-07-03, 04:58 PM
Mainly because the E16SE wiring will not run the CAT, cant bin the CAT unless I fit the E16SE engine.

why not?? cat dies who cares!!