PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake light permanently on :S

NathanSRi
13-12-11, 02:04 AM
Hey guys, for some reason my handbrake light is permanently on. I think its electical as when my subs turned up, its flashes with the music, but it stayed on before the sub was fitted. Any ideas what it is?

Jack
13-12-11, 08:20 AM
Could be something simple like the handbrake lever - IIRC there's a little switch underneath that turns the brake light on when the lever is up. I seem to recall mine getting worn once and being on all the time.

Also check your brake fluid and braking system as a priority though, in case its picking up low fluid or other fault (assuming Novas have only one brake warning light..?)

Iain
13-12-11, 12:28 PM
I think Jack's right and they share the same bulb.

John
13-12-11, 01:30 PM
The handbrake warning light stays on if Your brake fluid level is low

Southie
13-12-11, 02:01 PM
John beat me too it.

Are you sure you took the McDonalds trays away though lol

NathanSRi
14-12-11, 12:51 AM
Checked level, pretty much perfect, and i wondered why the back end was so light :P lol Anyone know where I can get a new switch from, eBays not bringing anything back

shed-on-wheels
14-12-11, 01:03 AM
Earth it out first see if it is the switch...if not you may have air in the system bud.

Connor
14-12-11, 01:05 AM
Take the dials out, then take the bulb out, job done ;)

NathanSRi
14-12-11, 01:26 AM
Earth it out first see if it is the switch...if not you may have air in the system bud.
My brakes do need bleeding, only a little bit though, would this make the light stay on?

Royston
14-12-11, 06:40 AM
My brakes do need bleeding, only a little bit though, would this make the light stay on?

If they need bleeding hope it's not on the road, the light will only come on if the handbrake is on or the fluid level is down, i.e you have a leak.

Check the switch

Jack
14-12-11, 07:17 AM
Anyone know where I can get a new switch from, eBays not bringing anything back
Best bet is to just bodge the switch. Give it a poke first though to see if thats what the problem is.