PDA

View Full Version : Earth issues help please

standardgte
09-12-11, 01:43 PM
Hello right i got an earth problem on my nova saloon if im indicating and breaking the brake light flashes instead and the green light on the dash gets dimmer,now if im not indicating but am breaking the indicator green light lights up,but if im just indicating the bulbs all work fine its driving me mad keep getting pulled for it ive checked bulbs,fuses and made sure there a good earth point what else can i do any ideas?
also my fuel gauge is extremely tempermental would it be time to source a new sender or could this be related to the other issue above ? any help appreciated cheers pete.:(

windfreek
09-12-11, 02:10 PM
this is a strange one as the indicators including the telltale on the speedo all run of one fuse (No7-10A) and the other dials and telltales run from a totally different fuse (No18 - 20A) with no interconnection between the two circuits.

to clarify,
the brake light needs a negative supply to illuminate as it has a permanent positive.

chances are that one of the rear cluster bulb holders is goosed as that's the only point at which those circuits cross so one of the steel circuit tracks may have got hot and melted to touch another track, without looking at one of my clusters i would bet that the live feed for the indicator is next to the brake ground supply or visa versa, check by disconnecting both rear bulb holders from the wiring loom, then see if the problem goes away, then reconnect just one test the fault, if ok, remove that one and reconnect the other and test again,

let us know how you get on :thumb:

standardgte
11-12-11, 09:09 AM
hello again i had a good look at the bub holder the side with bulbs in wer fine so unplugged the wire block and fecking bingo bulb holder completely fecked burnt out now im on the hunt for one cheers for your help tho wouldnt of guessed it wud burn out like that thankyou from pete

windfreek
11-12-11, 01:30 PM
no worries :)

windfreek
11-12-11, 01:31 PM
...infact i think i have one in my garage, will have a look later for you

standardgte
11-12-11, 01:45 PM
oky doky cheers pm if u have cheers