PDA

View Full Version : battery charger

swedge
09-12-11, 06:31 AM
just put m,y battery on charge as its been in my shed a while in the freezing cold

when i first put it on it went to about 5 amps on the guage nows its down to 1 after 5 mins charging?

does this mean its already fully charged

also it has a setting for 6 or 12 volts do i use the 12?

swedge
09-12-11, 06:56 AM
well ive took it off charge, dont want it blowing up while i sleep after a nightshift lol

Royston
09-12-11, 07:01 AM
Would think it is well up, trickle chage is a low amperage, but it is still accepting a low amperage charge I would leave on overnight

If is pretty normal for the amps to fall as it charges, our heavy duty charger do it, so wouldn't worry too much.

If it is 12V battery use 12V or 6 if 6V

There are some clever chargers about not that can be left on permanently or recover deep discharged batteries(doesn't always work)

I bought a Ring 16 Amp charger, it has been great!

windfreek
09-12-11, 01:01 PM
just put m,y battery on charge as its been in my shed a while in the freezing cold

thats good, if a battery isnt being used its usually better to store them cold, but you have to let it hit room temp (18'c) before charging to reach its max capacity, if its too cold the little ions in the fluid of the battery wont all take charge, only the ones that are directly between the contacts of the battery will as electricity is lazy like that and will struggle to charge the surrounding fluid, hence the fast charge, id try and put the battery inside for a good few hours to get it warm-ish then charge it again, it should hold alot more power

swedge
09-12-11, 02:51 PM
cheers guys, i put it on charge again after leaving it inside and the amps went back to around 4 so ill leave it on again till it drops